Whiteside Router Inlay Kit

Review by pintodeluxe posted 07-02-2011 07:36 AM 3674 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Whiteside Router Inlay Kit Whiteside Router Inlay Kit Whiteside Router Inlay Kit Click the pictures to enlarge them

I could not be more satisfied with this inlay kit from Whiteside. I have read the complaints about other brands, how they are tough to center. Rest assured, the Whiteside comes with a 1/4” centering pin. The bit is a standard 1/4” shank – no reducer sleeve to mess with. The bit is a solid carbide down spiral cutter. It is sharp and cuts cleanly in oak and walnut. The bit also comes with a protective case – a nice touch.
I have read reviews of other brands that the removable bushing is too tight or ill-fitting – not with the Whiteside- it has a good snug fit but not too tight. And how did the inlay fit? Perfectly.
Squaring the inside corners of a butterfly inlay with a chisel takes only a moment. Then lightly glue and tap into place.
I used a clear plastic template for the butterfly pattern (not included with the Whiteside kit)

Cheers!

View bigike's profile

bigike

4031 posts in 1942 days

#1 posted 07-02-2011 08:24 PM

Hey thanks for the review I have one of the other brands and it works great for me I have no problem with them at all I do have two different brands cuz the other one was very cheap in price and the 1/8” bit was much longer than the other so I use the shorter bit for smaller less depth inlays and the other for bigger inlays with more depth.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

#2 posted 07-03-2011 04:01 AM

How much does this kit cost? Where did you buy it?Where did you get the template for your bowties?Sorry for all the ? but Ive been trying to do bowties without much success.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

#3 posted 07-03-2011 08:47 PM

The kit cost $32 becuase of the cost of solid carbide. I believe it to be better than the $19 kits with high-speed steel bits. It also comes with a centering pin, while some kits do not. The template is 1/4” clear plastic, which included several bowtie sizes, and costs $20. I prefer the factory made templates because I just can’t match the accuracy of a CNC machine. I would consider making a custom template for an irregular inlay such as a leaf or cougar track. Both the kit and template were purched at Woodcraft, however are available online as well.
Best of luck

#4 posted 10-04-2012 06:12 PM

Update: after a year of use and dozens of inlays later… the bit is still sharp and the kit works great.
Here is an inlay I used on a recent mirror frame.

A butterfly on a dining table :

View gfadvm's profile (online now)

gfadvm

#5 posted 10-05-2012 12:41 AM

Well, I broke down and bought the Whiteside router kit, template, and the universl base plate as my router wouldn’t accept the inserts. Kind of pricy but they all work as advertized.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm