Ready Strip

Review by scottb posted 03-01-2008 12:35 AM 6080 views 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Ready Strip No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

To paraphrase from their website, Ready Strip is biodegradable, safe to touch, virtually odorless, fast, and easy. It clings to vertical surfaces. Ready-Strip™ removes most varieties of paints and varnishes which are oil or water-based including latex, stains, oil based paints, and polyurethanes. It can be applied on a multitude of interior and exterior surfaces including wood, brick, plaster, metal, marble, masonry, concrete and fiberglass. Ready Strip is environmentally safe and contain no methylene chloride or other harsh solvents. Ready Strip is non-flammable and easily cleaned up with water. Ready Strip covers approximately 50 sq. ft. per gallon.

I’ve used a few other more “environmentally friendly” and/or “safer” paint and varnish strippers, as well as mechanical means – hand powered and drill powered scrapers and abrasives.

Ready Strip is by far the easiest, fastest and cleanest method I’ve used. No need to worry about harsh and dangerous smells, and skin protection from caustic ingredients – and unlike the claims or stereotypes around other “green” products, this really works.

Slather it on,

Wait up to a day, and scrape, this product totally breaks the bottom paint layers bond with the wood,

A lovely bag of paint peelings:

Before:

After:

It does work better on flat surfaces – this door is upwards of 130 years old, with several layers of paint on it – and I had a harder time getting it off the curved moldings – moreso because of a lack of appropriately profiled scrapers, carving tools did the job, just took longer (and I did gouge the wood some using them).

On a 1-10 scale, I’d give this a 9 out of 10, for effectiveness, ease of use and environmental friendliness.

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- http://blanchardcreative.etsy.com -- http://snbcreative.wordpress.com/

View scottb's profile

scottb

#1 posted 03-01-2008 12:39 AM

Thanks for the review Scott. Looks like a great product.

I had an Arts and Craft house in St. Louis that was built in 1905 and all of the woodwork was painted with many coats of paint. I couldn’t get any stripper to work. I scraped one piece of wood and it was all quartersawn White Oak. But I put another coat of paint on top.

This would have been a great product to use.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

#2 posted 03-01-2008 12:50 AM

Thanks Scott!
I’m always looking for something a person can use without shortening ones life.

My Dad died from working with the fluids in a dry cleaning plant.

That stuff is outlawed now.

View scottb's profile

scottb

#3 posted 03-01-2008 01:01 AM

Sorry to hear that Dick… but glad to hear progress has been made.

I had a college prof (Graphic Design), who had to take a year or two off because of how the chemicals (film developing/processing) effected him – computers have really done a lot for eliminating steps.

I think that artists of yesteryear (Van Gogh for example) really went crazy because of the paint they used (and mixed themselves)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#4 posted 03-01-2008 01:21 AM

It’s scary to think of all the things that we are around every day that are slowly (or not so slowly) killing us and we don’t even know it.

Sounds like this stuff is a great alternative!

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)