Hitachi Table Saw

Review by Obi posted 2382 days ago 47147 views 2 times favorited 72 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Hitachi Table Saw Hitachi Table Saw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

On first look the Hitachi C10Fl looked like a great deal but after using it for 2 years the following has become evident:

FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS I PUT THE DUST COLLECTION ON FACING THE WRONG DIRECTION !!!

NOTE THAT THE PORT IS OPPOSITE THE OPERATOR. THE PORT WAS INSTALLED ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Rated according to the manufacturer at 3 hp found out that it is actually 1 1/2 HP a bold faced lie that they should be sued for. This is a terrible design, and although bigger and better that the contractor saws I’ve witnessed lately this has no business in a cabinet shoppe. The dust collection is attrocious, the port is off-centered toward the front, while most of the dust collects on the inside edge in the rear of the saw. This presented several problems. The most hazardous was the collection of dust catching fire. Because it happened inside the frame out of view it was an act of God that I even saw it or my brother-in-law’s house would have burnt to the ground. The resulting fire melted the plastic gear that tilts the blade and now it has to be tilted by hand at great inconvenience. The fence is slightly better than the factory joke that I’ve seen on those little 3/4 HP saws that hobbiests use to cut 1/2” balsa wood.

Hitachi 10 in. Stationary Table Saw

Hitachi 10 in .Stationary Table Saw

• 15 Amp induction motor (3.0 HP)
• 27” x 40” table top with extension wing
• Blade tilt and blade height adjustment knobs up front for easy access
• Table top angle scale
• Enclosed motor to protect from dust and debris
• Adjustable T-slotted miter gauge
• Micro adjustment on fence
• Deluxe caster set included
• Cast iron trunnions
• Blade Diameter 10”
• Arbor Size 5/8”
• No-Load Speed (RPM) 3,450
• Max. Capacity (90 degrees) 3-3/8”
• Max. Capacity (45 degrees) 2-1/4”
• Max. Table Size 27-1/8” x 20-1/8”
• Max. Dado Width 13/16”
• Dust Collection Yes

Oh yeah, $499.00 at Lowe’s and the feature I like, the power switch that i can hit with my knee to shut it down, bad thing is that it only cuts 26” to the right of the blade. Other than that, I like the saw very much for my first saw. The next one will proably be a cabinet maker’s saw costing 3 or 4 times as much

View Douglas Bordner's profile

Douglas Bordner

Aw come on Obi, don’t hold back.

-- "Bordnerizing" perfectly good lumber for over a decade.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

Aren’t you afraid that the ”Big Hitachi God” will put a curse on you.

If your telling the truth though, you’ll be safe.

Obi

I don’t have the time to suck up to the ”Big Hitachi God”, and all the reviews for the 5 Star products are great but if there is a safeety issue, or something bad with a product it is my responsibility to share it with my friends. Appearently the ”Big Hitachi Gods” don’t use power tools or they would have figured this out. And I’m not afraid because if Hitachi would have cared they would have stumbled across this review when I first posted it back in ‘06 when the thing caught fire.

But thanks for lookin out for me Dick.

View Coffinmaker's profile

Coffinmaker

I AM SO glad I just read this review…on the night I bought my Hitachi 12 Compound Mite Saw I looked at this saw…AND I almost BOUGHT IT..!!!!!!!!!!! Whew…that was close..!I didnt though and the next day I went to HD and bought the Ridgid TS3650 for LESS then the Hitachi.!I LOVE gift cards and discount coupons….LOL.

View Dick, & Barb Cain's profile

Dick, & Barb Cain

You’re alright Obi!!

View gizmodyne's profile

gizmodyne

You speak the truth Obi.

-- -John "Do I have to keep typing a smiley? Just assume it's a joke." www.flickr.com/photos/gizmodyne

View dalec's profile

dalec

Obi,

The HP ratings as I have learned reading the many forums is terribly misleading in that the 3.0 HP is the peak hp rating. As I learned looking at conversion tables Amps:HP is much more accurate measure of a tool’s power.

Unfortunately, manufactures like to use peak HP which is a much higher number than what the tool really produces. The HP rating is a much more familiar measure for most of us, so we tend either not be knowledgeable about what the amp rating means or ignore it when looking at power rating measures for tools.

With your experience, I hope there been or will be a product safety recall on this Hitachi saw.

Thanks for this stand up review.

Dalec

Obi

As I’ve progressed using the table saw (as I cannot afford to buy a new Griz) I realize that this would have been better designed with a direct shaft on the tilting handle instead of a plastic gear (which melted when it caught fire).

View dalec's profile

dalec

It sounds like Hitachi could have done a much better job of designing their TS. Having a saw catch fire is pretty disquieting.

Dalec

View Mark A. DeCou's profile

Mark A. DeCou

1973 posts in 3007 days

so, tell us what you really think Michael.

this was a great review.

Has me wondering why you had a fire?

Was it a hot chip from the cutting process, or electrical?

I shop vacuumed up a hot ember cleaning around the wood stove once. When I smelled that something was wrong, it had started to smolder in the dust inside. As close as I have come to losing my dream.

loved this one,
Mark

-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com

Mark,
The design of this table saw is as follows:
The top section is made of sheet metal and it folds in right where the body bolts to the legs. Because the port is very near the front it doesn’t suck the sawdust out of the back. Somehow, while milling some 8/4 oak, the blade got over heated. It then over heated the sawdust piled up all around on top of the lip. I just happened to look back after I shut it off while walking away I noticed embers and smoke. After extinguishing the fire, and the cold sawdust was vacuumed out, it became evident that the plastic gear had melted in the heat.

If they made the body full size and made a better dust port the saw would be 30% better.
If they made the tilt mechanism “Direct-drive” they would improve design, cut costs and improve it 30%
If they made it truly 3HP and call it a cabinet saw, you almost have a perfect saw.

ONLY THEN WOULD I SAY “BUY THIS SAW.”

View FrankA's profile

FrankA

I am so….. glad I read this. I have been looking at this saw at Lowes for about a month. The last thing I need is another table saw fire. I am without a table saw now because of a craftsman saw catching on fire. (they no longer make it so no need for a review) I almost bought this saw about five times but kept talking myself out of it. Been waiting to find a used Unisaw so I guess my wait continues.
Thanks so much for the review.

-- Frank Auge---Nichols NY----"My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, but it is price competitive."

Obi

Hitachi is going to HATE me.

View USCJeff's profile

USCJeff

I was very close to getting this saw at one point. A Hybrid seemed the way to go for my budget and needs. My wife (great woman) told me to get what I’d be happy with down the road as I had really liked a couple true cabinet saws. Got a Grizzly 1023 and haven’t looked back.

-- Jeff, South Carolina

View Bubba's profile

Bubba

Sorry, but I have to make a correction for others who, like me, run across this thread while shopping for a new saw. The dust port on the C10FL is supposed to be oriented toward the back of the saw. The reviewer above states that the port is “off-centered toward the front,” which leads me to wonder whether the saw was assembled incorrectly. Granted, the documentation for this saw is poor, but the diagram does show (and common sense would indicate) that the dust collection port should face the rear. In addition, the stand has solid panels on the front and sides, but only a cross brace in the rear. That is obviously for connection of a dust collection hose. The manual does remind you to make sure the front of the stand is aligned with the front of the saw. The dust collection pan could be reversed, but then it would be difficult to attach a hose. I just really have to wonder how this saw was assembled and whether a dust collection hose was attached. This is not a dangerous saw if assembled correctly and used with proper dust collection.