Triton MOF001KC 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router

Review by woodmaker posted 06-30-2011 04:48 PM 4819 views 1 time favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton MOF001KC 2-1/4 HP Plunge Router No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am so impressed with this router.
I was looking for a permanent under the table router, but I didn’t want to pay $200 + for the router and another $300 + for a router lift. The Triton includes the crank handle. just drill the hole for it, insert crank and raise and lower. I also like the fact that the collet is automatically locked at full height making bit changes really easy. The only thing I wish for (and from any router co.) is that they include a template to help affix to the router plate. I got a little off on my drilling and ended up buying a new router plate.
When I heard about this router and read the reviews here at Lumber jock (and elsewhere) I jumped right on it.
I paid $299.00 at Wood Craft in Franklin Tenn.

I thought about the 31/4 hp router but don’t feel that I would be needing anything that heavy; at least for right now.

#1 posted 06-30-2011 05:03 PM

I’ve got the 3 1/4 under a table and you’re right, it’s heavy. I had to drill my router plate for the riser handle but that’s a lot better than buying a lift. I love mine. I honestly thing the extra power is overkill.

View skippyland's profile

skippyland

#2 posted 06-30-2011 07:04 PM

Baaaad News…this exact model JUST was advertised at WC for 159.95 for this weekend….at least in western NY. sorry.

-- Skip from Batavia, purveyor of fine and exotic sawdust & chips.

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

146 posts in 1941 days

#3 posted 06-30-2011 07:23 PM

I have one of these in 3 1/4 hp. It has been in my router table since I bought it, it has never complained or faltered once no matter what wood or cutter.
Interestingly though before I installed it in the table, I tried it with the fence which is an odd design but works very well indeed.

-- Ollie, UK.

#4 posted 06-30-2011 08:54 PM

skippyland thanks for that; I don’t fell bad though because whenever I buy something it is NEVER on sale. :-(

I always ask to; are you having a sale on this any time soon.

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#5 posted 06-30-2011 09:22 PM

I have this router too, and love it. Good purchase!

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

#6 posted 06-30-2011 09:27 PM

Ollie, I’ve got the big one too; that fence is indeed quite strange; so strange that I’ve never tried it; mine went out of the box and under the table.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1307 days

#7 posted 06-30-2011 11:29 PM

2 1/4 here, too and could not be more pleased. Love the crank lift.

View hokieman's profile

hokieman

#8 posted 07-01-2011 03:43 AM

If you are using the crank lift, then make sure you follow the instructions and take the plunge spring out. Triton had a lot of customer complaints about these failing and it was traced back to folks leaving the spring in when using the router in a router table application.

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1959 days

#9 posted 07-01-2011 04:58 AM

On sale at Woodcraft in Western MA as well… I would return it and “rebuy” at the lower price.

Have this router and love it. Better still, the company stands behind their products.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

#10 posted 07-01-2011 11:18 AM

I had the 2 1/4 and upgraded to the 3 1/4 Love this thing. Only draw back is there is only one place in the country that service them and its in Michigan. They were helpful when I had problems with the smaller one,
It caught fire. The head of Triton R&D contacted me from oversees and was helpful and very interested in taking it apart to see what went wrong.

Read these posts if interested.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1307 days

#11 posted 07-01-2011 11:21 AM

I hear triton is relocating manufacturing to US. I was told by Woodcraft that was the cause of the 3 1/4 backorder.

#12 posted 07-01-2011 02:09 PM

Thiel I”ve had it too long to return it.
Hokieman, the spring is out. :-)
ken90712 I read your post and was another reason I bought mine, what great customer service that is.

Tomorrow I set up my new Grizzly G0690 table saw; can’t wait, sometimes work just gets in the way. :-)

View jim C's profile

jim C

#13 posted 07-01-2011 03:43 PM

Ditto to all the lovers of this router.

#14 posted 07-01-2011 03:59 PM

Uh oh, my spring’s in. Better have a look tonight.

View edvan22's profile

edvan22

#15 posted 07-02-2011 01:25 AM

Ahhh horrible timing on posting your review! I have had the 3 1/4 model on order with woodcraft since March. The delivery date keeps getting pushed back and then this week following the woodcraft vendor show/sales meeting, the owner of my local store called to say he didn’t have much confidence that they would ever get them. He has a 2 1/4 model in stock and I can return “mine” and go for the 2 1/4 or just cancel the order.

I had just literally talked myself out of the Triton and into the new Hitachi M12VE (was planning on going to the store to do the return tomorrow morning) and I see this review. It does seem like a nice machine and while I’d love the 3.25HP, my main concern was that if it’s been so hard to get the units, how hard will it be to get parts etc.. All the positive feedback from you guys is causing me to do some additional pondering.

So in all seriousness, thanks for the review – it’s definitely a help when buying new tools!