SawStop 1.75HP Cabinet Saw with 36" rails review

Review by Ty posted 1155 days ago 8489 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
SawStop 1.75HP Cabinet Saw with 36" rails review No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After much contemplation, I purchased the SawStop 1.75 Cabinet Saw with 36” rails. For several years, the only table saw I ever experienced was a Delta contractor saw. So yes, SawStop is a HUGE upgrade. First, the assembly directions are extremely well done. Absolutely no problem putting this saw together, other than the Woodcraft employee who didn’t know what SawStop was and failed to give me the correct rails. Aside from that issue, I was able to assemble the saw approximately 5 1/2 hours, while spending some time just making sure everything was finely tuned. My review may sound repetitive from other SawStop reviews in that the fit and finish is exceptional. The cuts are extremely nice and I cannot say enough on how great the fence is. I admit my only experience was the Delta contractor fence but whoa I had no idea that fences can be this nice.

In essence, SawStop makes an excellent table saw and I am extremely glad with my choice.

View Ty's profile

Ty

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Great choice, good luck with your new saw! Aside from the safety factor, the saw is well built, and the fence is really nice.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

deke, you’ve been around LJ’s longer than me, you should know better than to start asking about 110 vs. 220…:) I’ll be wiring my new shop for 220 in a few months, so I’ll let you know if I feel any difference with the 1.75HP.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Rob Lopez's profile

Rob Lopez

You will notice a difference in 220, however, if a motor is rated at 1.75HP it will be 1.75HP regardless.

The difference I notice is starting and running. The motor just seems to be happier with more electric running through it.

-- Boards, Don't hit back! - Bruce Lee

View rrdesigns's profile

rrdesigns

I, too, have a recently purchased Sawstop. And my Woodcraft store employee did the same thing and sent me home with the wrong rails. Welcome to the club. BTW, I love my new saw! A word of advice…if you use a metal crosscut/miter sled (I have an Osbourne) ALWAYS check your clearance from the end of the sled to the sawblade and make sure your adjustment screws are tight. Mine were not and I found out the hard way and turned my brake and blade into toast. The sawstop lives up to its advertising. Only the slightest of knicks on the crosscut sled rail, and the blade stopped and dropped so fast you couldn’t even see it.

-- Beth, Oklahoma, Rambling Road Designs

View bigkev's profile

bigkev

Good luck with it.

-- Kevin, South Carolina

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

LOL at the Woodcraft guy not knowing what SawStop is. Next time ask him about blades for a Norris A1. Enjoy your new saw.

View mrpedal's profile

mrpedal

Nice saw. Hows the base lift system treating you? Got a shop floor with a signifigant slope and crown to it. Been eying the same setup you have there, but wondering if there are any adjustments for leveling or height in addition to moving.

Fourth of july weekend spent prepping for 220 receptacles… :)

View ic3ss's profile

ic3ss

So the question I’ve had ever since learning what SawStop was all about is how much does it cost to get back up and running after the saw, well, stops? The brake is sacrafficial, the blade I assume is ruined, what else has to be checked/replaced?

I like the SawStop, but I’m a Unisaw guy and have never used one.

-Wayne

View Ty's profile

Ty

My fellow artisans of sawdust, I apologize for just now responding to your questions. Unfortunately, my day job gets in the way of my true passion from time to time…

Deke, I am presently running my saw at 110. I have consulted a few folks about the 220 issue for my particular saw and the consensus seems to be that 220 will provide a little more low end torque and will allow the saw to run somewhat cooler.

Mrpedal, I absolutely love the base lift system. My garage floor is not exactly a flat surface and it handles it just fine.

Ic3ss, In the event the SawStop’s brake is triggered, the brake cartridge and most likely the saw blade will need to be replaced, that is all. The brake cartridge is approximately $60.

rrdesigns, how fast did your heart jump?

View sillac's profile

sillac

As I am sure has been said before and will be said again; you will still get the same power out of the saw, however when put 2 times the voltage through the saw the saw motor will draw half the amps to give the same power, and indeed this will let the saw run cooler and thus last longer, that is if you keep all the dust out of the motor.

-- Steve in Oregon,