Rockler Abrasive Cleaning Stick (Rockler Item# 46987)

Review by David Grimes posted 1125 days ago 2114 views 2 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Rockler Abrasive Cleaning Stick  (Rockler Item# 46987) Rockler Abrasive Cleaning Stick  (Rockler Item# 46987) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am certain most of you either have used these or know about them, but… for those of you who do not:

I began using a combination belt / disk sander in my home shop a couple of months ago, so I ordered one of these cleaning sticks soon after since my belt was loading up a bit. When I used it on both the 4” belt and the 8” disk, they were almost instantly de-loaded and restore to like new condition. People, quite frankly I was actually a bit amazed at how well this piece of crepe rubber (or whatever it is) would do that to that… lol

If it weren’t so cheap and long-lasting, I’d go to k-mart and get a pair of fake Clark Wallabees to see if the sole of those shoes would work as well. j/k But that’s what it looks like. :=)

Since then, I have cleaned / de-loaded anything and everything with sandpaper abrasive in my shop (palm sander, ROS, Sandblaster paper on the little holder, etc.) with totally excellent results.

But wait ! The best thing of all: We had a job to refinish about 900 sf of oak hardwood flooring that was stained and finished about 30 or so years ago. Since we were going back natural (no stain) with Rexthane finish, we had to grind the old finish and stain as well as level the flooring for the new finish. Basically we had a bit more rough sanding than would be required if the floor were new raw and had never been stained. The sand paper for the big belt sander will eat your wallet. So after we’d gone through 6 of them, I got a call that we needed more. I sent them to my house, telling them to cut my cleaning stick in half to take with them to try it on the big 35 grit paper. They did and called me back to say that is was miraculous and that they were totally cleaned and de-loaded most of the grit was still ready for duty. Mitch asked me why I would hide such a thing since it will save so much money in abrasives cost. I explained that I was a newbie to it as well and how glad I was that it worked on the big stuff.

Not only did they use it on the grits of the large floor belt sander, but is did exactly the same for the edge sander and later the vibrating screen sander in between coats.

I paid $6.99 on sale through Rockler, but I am certain they are available elsewhere, from different makers, and possibly even locally (I haven’t checked).

This is good stuff, y’all. Try some before you toss the loaded paper out.

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1238 days

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

Thanks David. I’ve known about these but never tried them. I’ll have to get one or two.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

5392 posts in 2026 days

They are great!. Use them on disk sanders, belts and, even ROS. Wonderful as big erasers, too.

View jackass's profile

jackass

Have been using the cleaning sticks for years, they last for ever, still have the first one, it is getting a bit hard from age, but still works well. I used the handle of an old tooth brush before the stick. Perhaps this is a clue as to what the sticks do. They are great, and time, and money saving.
Jack

-- Jack Keefe Shediac NB Canada

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

Have them, use them, love them! Belt sander, drum sander, ROS.

I never buy cheap sandpaper anymore. In fact, I have the cheap paper crap in a drawer and will probably never use it. With these sticks I can purchase high end oxide and wet/dry and get more life out of it and not have to keep changing paper on the sanders.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

They’re great, I love them. I have one of the square ones that’s attached to plastic for mounting to your bench. When I get done sanding something with one of my power sanders I give it a quick run over the cleaner before shutting it off. Keeps it clean for the next sanding session.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View devann's profile

devann

Thanks David, I’m going to need another one of these sometime in the next 6 – 12 months. It’s not something I can run out a buy locally. Guess I’m ordering online.

-- Darrell, making more sawdust than I know what to do with

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

I have used this type of product for some years. It never ceases to amaze me how nicely one of these can clean up a sanding belt or disc. Sometimes they can be found at discounted prices at the woodworking shows.

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

$6.99 regular price…..I buy them when on sale and or use their coupons . size is 8”x1.5”x1.5”

View Geedubs's profile

Geedubs

Got one…use it…love it.

-- Todos los dias aprendemos algo nuevo.

View Towtruck's profile

Towtruck

I found one in a discount store for a $1.98, figgured it wouldn’t amount to much, but I’d try it. It’s amazing what it can do to a plugged up belt or large dia drum.

-- I cut it off 3 times and it's still too short!

View RiverWood's profile

RiverWood

This has to be one of best money savers, ever. anyone who owns a power sander should have one of these. I think they at the very least triple the longevity of sandpaper. (except the extreme cheap brands, nothing helps them)

-- My favorite projects were firewood bound

View Don W's profile (online now)

Don W

So, your review motivated me to order one. I got the one from harbor frieght. It was $8.50 including shipping. Good call and thanks for posting this.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View David Grimes's profile

David Grimes

2072 posts in 1238 days

Glad you tried the HF version, DonW. I am still amazed how long these last and how long the belt and disc sander paper is lasting.

View 1958's profile

1958

I bought one put it a cupboard in my shop and forgot about it.I will now put to work. Thanks

-- measure twice,cut once,hope for the best

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

I have one that is not new and they do last. They work as well as David describes above…..maybe better.