DeWalt 13" two speed planer

Review by jeffthewoodwacker posted 2375 days ago 11699 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt 13" two speed planer No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently purchased the DeWalt model 735 13 inch two speed planer and stand. Right out of the box the planer had very few parts to assemble. The instructions were very easy to understand. I had to make a few minor adjustments in the height adjustment scale, but the preset stops were right on the money. Gave the planer a real test with some cedar boards that were up to 10 inches in width and the machine did great. I planed them down close to 3/4 inch thick and then switched to the slower finish finish speed. These boards were up to 10 feet in length and the final finish was perfect with absolutely no snipe marks. Then ran 2500 board feet of dry cherry boards that were 6-10 inches in width with the same results.

The Dewalt planer has a powered chip blower that really works well and did a good job combined with my two stage collector. A dedicated stand for the Dewalt has a storage shelf and wheels to make the entire unit easy to move around. The entire foot print of the stand is 6 square feet. I didn’t purchase the additional outfeed or infeed table but will make these myself. I would give the Dewalt planer a big thumbs up.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

1930 posts in 2401 days

I’ve been looking at planer reviews for a while and have only found 1 bad review about the 735. Jeff, I think your review has sold me. I’m going to bite the bullet and purchase one. Did you buy yours on-line or from Lowe’s? I’ve seen some good prices on-line, but when you add the S&H, it’s $50-$60 extra.

View jeffthewoodwacker's profile

jeffthewoodwacker

Junior Jock, if you find a great price online print the price sheet off and take it to Lowes. They will match the price. I saved $120.00 by taking the online price sheet in and getting them to match it. I found the planer stand online for $99.00—-it is in retail stores for $179.99 there was a free shipping deal on the stand at the time and I took advantage.

-- Those that say it can't be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

View skozub's profile

skozub

I have the Dewalt planner too and agree with the positive rating. I’ve had the benefit of working with some higher-end models while teaching at the woodworking school (Red Rocks Community College, Lakewood Colorado) and found this to be the best planner for the price. It can’t compete with industrial planners but for a one-man shop it’s a great choice.

The finish product is superb…very little snipe. The blades hold up very well and don’t have to be changed very often. I’ve run a ton of board feet through mine in the last 1.5 years and I’m still on my first set of knives (though it’s getting about time sharpen).

Good luck!

1930 posts in 2401 days

You guys have me ready to go and buy it….... can you help me out and convience the other half???

View Critterman's profile

Critterman

I’ve had mine for about four years now….it is great. I’ve chucked more lumber through this baby than I can count and still on the original blades. Cuts so clean on the high side makes you think you don’t need to sand sometimes. I’ve also got the mobile stand, out-feed tables, and dust collection hose/barrel thingy attachment. This planer still gets great reviews and beats everyone else and deservingly so. JuniorJock if your going to buy one this is the one to get, you’ll never regret it.

-- Jim Hallada, Chesterfield, VA

View Bill's profile

Bill

I have the same planer and it is great.

JuniorJock, try telling her how much you will save by buying rough cut lumber and milling it to size, rather than buying it at the big box stores. You may save 25-50% by milling it yourself. Also, let her know the first project you will make will be something she wants, such as a cabinet, a box, something nice. Having something produced with your own tools will go a long way to getting you more tools.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View RickH's profile

RickH

I too have this planer, and totally agree. What was amazing whwn I first used this model was the volume of chips this baby can throw out! I have the trash can chip collector option, but you have to make sure the hood is fastened really securely onto it as the chip blower in this is so powerful it will blow chips righ out from under the edges. Works best with a good DC that can keep up with the output.

I also have the in-feed and outfeed tables. Don’t know why they are not included because they really help.

Great machine

-- Rick - OC, CA

1930 posts in 2401 days

Lowe’s is only about 15 miles from my house. I see a short road trip for me sometime this coming week. Thanks guys….. I’m sold on it.

View Bill's profile

Bill

I bought my planer at Lowe’s, and ordered the tables from Amazon.com. The planer had very little snipe to begin with (except on longer stock), but the tables have reduced even that. Yes, they should come with the planer, but like cars add ons are extra.

-- Bill, Turlock California, http://www.brookswoodworks.com

View DocK16's profile

DocK16

I too have looked at this Model as my next planer but no one has mentioned what I believe to be it’s greatest drawback. It is my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) the knives on this planer are disposable. Yes that’s right, they can not be sharpened. Once they become dull they have to be replaced. I’m always sharpening planer knives to get a good finish. Also one nail or piece of metal in the wood and you out the cost of a new set of blades. At $50 a pop that could get pricey. This is the primary reason I have avoided buying this planer.

-- Common sense is so rare anymore when you do see it, it looks like pure genius.

View etivancic's profile

etivancic

I looked at this planer as well as delta’s version…
Delta review:

I think I prefer the Delta…Very similar in price!

Any opinions?

View shaun's profile

shaun

DocK – you’re right about the knives but they are reversible, each knife has 2 cutting surfaces so when the first side wears out you flip them around. But there’s no avoiding the fact that you only get to do that once. Dewalt advertises that the blades are M2 laminated tool steel and last longer than conventional knives. I have no idea what M2 laminated tool steel is or whether or not there is any validity to this claim but, I’ve had this planer for about a year and I’m still on my first set.

-- I've cut that board three times and it's still too short!

View bikeman's profile

bikeman

Good review; thanks for the submission. Lumberjocks seems to have good reviews of this planer. Amazon had some problems noted in their reviews of this guy; maybe DeWalt fixed the problems by now. By the way, my latest Rockler ad has the DW735 on sale for $495. They’re usually $549 everywhere I’ve looked. That’s a smokin’ deal. My next major tool purchase will probably be a planer. I’m kind of liking the Steel City 13inch model 40200. We’ll see. I’m told we need a bigger bed first ( sigh ).

View dalec's profile

dalec

I have limited shop space and budget. I gave some thought to buying a jointer, but was advised that I might want to consider a planer which could serve both as a thickness planer and also be used to flatten boards using a sled.

I have been building up my savings and finally ordered the Dewalt 735 when I found a fairly good deal on the web.

It has been said that the DW735 is a bit more expensive that some other well reviewed bench planers, but the three blades, built in chip blower and many positive comments very much like those in this review convinced me to go with the Dewalt.

Dalec

View JDub's profile

JDub

I bought this planer about 3 years ago and have loved the results. I did spring for the infeed/outfeed tables but would have to agree with the original post – make them. The stock tables didn’t line up with the base of the planer very well. I’ve also added the Wixley digital depth guide a few months ago – worth every penny. Easy to zero it in and accurate.

-- "None of us is as dumb as all of us"