Craftsman 12" Bandsaw

Review by DennisC posted 2336 days ago 12227 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 12" Bandsaw Craftsman 12" Bandsaw Craftsman 12" Bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is everything you could expect from 12” saw. It is manufactured by the same factory that makes Rikon saws. It has good power, 3/4 horse; capacity, 7”; and can be adjusted to cut pretty straight. The guides work nice and can be adjusted up tight.
The factory fence is junk. I built one to use with the factory front rail and it works just fine. I’m using a 1/2” 3 tooth blade and have my fence set for about 1/8” drift from front to back.
The trunion can be adjusted, with 4 set screws on each corner of the mounting plate (they are the little black dots beside the mounting bolts in the picture) , to get the table exactly 90 degrees to the back edge of the blade. However, it’s a little finicky. When you loosen the trunion to tilt the table, the table flops around like it’s ready to fall off. It can’t fall off, but it feels like it. Once I got it set for 90 degrees both directions I have left it alone.
The dust ports are not very effective. There are to many places not sealed up in order to get good removeal under the table. Most of the dust ends up in the floor.
I included a picture of a piece of 6” black walnut that was resawn using this machine. Took 5 or 6 minute to get through this piece. Not perfect but close enough for the planer to clean up.
I looked at all the 14” saws but came back to this for the cost per inch of resaw capacity. You can find these on sale for $300. It’s been worth that price, but the fence, trunion and dust problems don’t allow me to rate it a 4 or 5.

-- Gen 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

DennisC

That’ is a 6 inch, not 6’, pieceof walnut. It was 24’ long.

View jeff robinson's profile

jeff robinson

just bought one have’nt used it much yet

-- jeff robinson, panama city, fl

View pashley's profile

pashley

I agree with your assessment. I think the fence is ok, but you just can’t use it the full length of the table, because it will fall out. Other than that, I think for $300, it’s a good value.

-- Have a blessed day! http://newmissionworkshop.com

mrfixitri

I’m thinking of buying my first band saw and this Craftsman 12” is on sale. Would anyone care to comment? Save my money? Get something else? Buying Craftsman is akin to flushing it down the toilet???? I’d like to stay under $500. Thanks!

-- Larry, formerly of East Greenwich, RI - "Rhode Island's Oldest Home": http://www.circa1679.com

111999 posts in 2174 days

Hey Dennis
Good Review.

Hey mrfixitri
Check out Grizzly they have a band saw on sale also I’ve had good luke with them.

Thanks, Jim. I’ll check them out. – Larry

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

Good review, I been looking at getting a Craftsman 14’’ bandsaw.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View larry10's profile

larry10

I have been using this bandsaw for a few years now and it works pretty well. I have made quite a few adriondack chairs with it. The fence is not all that great though. I bought it went it came on the market for $250.

View BCR's profile

BCR

I have the bigger brother to this saw, the 14” and yes it is exactly like the Rikon. It has a bit more oomph for resaw at 8” with the 110/220 1hp motor.
I have a spare still in the box (still in sealed plastic) I am not using, just needs a blade. 400.00
Works great, but the same issue with the dust, granted I am only using my wet/vac. With a real dust collector it would solve 80% of that issue.
Has great weight to it for stability (talking about the 14”) at 240 pounds an enclosed cabinet.
I still have not made a mobile roller for it, yet.

Usually I am not impressed with Craftsman woodworkin machines, but this has worked well for me. And price was just right, granted originally I wanted the 1700.00 metal/wood bandsaw. But I could not justify the cost with my once every couple weeks use….

edit; doh forgot to leave email for contact.. brian32672 at hotmail dot com. location South Florida. Although i rarely check email, so it may take a few days for a return response, but after that i will give my #. Craftsman bandsaw 22401 14”

I purchased this saw when it first came out, great price on sale promotional. It was a bear to get the table squared to the blade, but no issues since

-- Norman

mrfixitri

Thanks. I’ve already purchased the Grizzley 14” and works fine (for now….)

View andy_P's profile

andy_P

Dennis, If you are still watching this, how do you feel about the saw now. I’m about ready to bury mine.

-- Wood is a gift from God/Nature that maintains its beauty forever via the hand of a woodworker.

View crank49's profile

crank49

I wanted this 12” saw when it was on sale over a year ago, but missed it. So, instead I got the Rikon 10” a month later when it was on sale. There are enough similarities between the two saws I can say you are pretty close in your accessment. I like my little 10” saw; for what it can do, it does it well. I am planning to build a 16” saw for resaw work, but the small one has its place.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View andy_P's profile

andy_P

I’ve been hitting all the reviews I can find on the Grizzly -0555. It makes No. 1 on just about all the reviews I’ve seen.

DennisC

I’ve had this saw for about 5 years now. It’s still just a 12” band saw but still works fine. One of the guide bearings is a little stiff and needs to be replaced. Hasn’t kept me from using the saw though. If you feed too fast it doesen’t cut straight and bogs down. Take your time, don’t ask to much of it, and it does fine. If you’re doing lots of work you may tire of the slow cutting and lack of power.

I recently completed a heart shaped band sawn box of Purple Heart. Worked great for that.