New Planner

Review by lrob posted 1162 days ago 6111 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
New Planner New Planner No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just got a new Grizzley GO453PX planner with spiral cuter head. It arrived by Freight at the dock where I work. Loaded it on my Pick-Up after work. It weights in at 700LBs. Getting it in the shop was a little tricky as the loader I used had a bucket wider than by 6’ double doors I have going into the shop. We finaly got it in and it took about 2 hours to get it all assembled and another 2 hours cleaning of all the protective grease off machine [Alcocol and elbow grease worked good]. The planner move around the shop very easily on heavy duty casters. I had an old 12” Belsaw planner for 38 years and it didn’t own me a thing. The new Grizzley is very quiet and does a great job on all woods.

The spiral cutter is new to me and I was hoping it would answer my question about hit nails and taking out a hold set of blades on the old planner. Four spare inserts came with the planner and I purchsed another set of ten. They are about $2.30 each. I was planning an old beam with the other planner and came across a nail, so the rest of planning the board had a bead in it. That is when I decided to get the new planner. I put that same board through the new planner and not even a spark. I checked all the inserts and couldn’t find any chipped inserts and the rest of the nail was still in the beam.

The saw dust from the planner is very fine and it does a great job. It does leave a very fine surface that needs to be sanded if you are going to stain it. It is a very well built piece of equipment and I have had it for about 4 months with no problems. I have run 300’ pine, 150’ cherry, and 150’ of oak through it and really like the planner. The extra 3” width is also a plus.

-- Remember the one with the most toys when he dies WINS!

View lrob's profile

lrob

View Bernie's profile

Bernie

IROB – That is quite the planer you got there. It explains why we’ve been experiencing brown outs here in Greenville the past 4 months ha ha! I can see why you had a time moving that baby into your shop. I worked freight for 30 years and know the problems, even with my expertise in doing so. Makes my dad’s old bench top look like a toy. I got it with a couple of knicks but despite all the warnings, I removed the blades and successfully sharpened them with my Tormek. Boards are now smooth and no vibration, but I’m sure I would have burnt it out trying to keep up with your work load. Congrats!

-- Bernie: It never gets hot or cold in New Hampshire, just seasonal!

View Delta356's profile

Delta356

What a nice planer, that white and green great mix. I’m A hard core Delta fan, but when I look at this planer and read what you get, it might kick Delta out the house for A planer..Thanks for the review.

I’m wondering were this machine is made???? Thats pretty big for china…

Thanks, Michael Frey
Portland, OR

FREY WOODWORKING INC.

Man thats a nice beast you have added. Congrats to you!

Thanks for the review. I have always had a great deal of respect for both Grizzly’s tools and customer service. When my lunchbox model goes I definitely will be looking hard at this model.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

Nice review….I was going that would look good in my shop…..

750 lbs….:( ....I have a basment shop….. oh well!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View rawdawgs50's profile

rawdawgs50

I have this planer as well. But its not the polar series…the only difference is in the paint. It is made in Taiwan and is very well built and heavy duty. I have ti set up to get little to no snipe the majority of the time and it absolutely hogs off wood with ease and leaves a beautiful finish.

I give it 5/5 stars. I had a minor issue with the pulley slipping due to the bolt coming loose on the motor shaft. It was resolved by Grizzly and I had the part with in days. I have seen most all planers out there and I honestly do not know what you could buy in the class that works better than this…even if it costs more.

View 58j35bonanza's profile

58j35bonanza

Really nice machine. Something to hope for in the future. I just picked up the Dewalt 735.

-- Chuck

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

I’m new here, but always liked what I read. 40 year woodworker, currently involved in solidbody guitars. Needed a bigger planer than my old Rigid 13” lunch box, although it’s been a horse over the years. Well, based on the reviews here, I just popped for this same Grizzly planer. Should be fun getting it into my shop. Ground level with my driveway, but not a lot of friends! Asked for that curbside service so at least it will be on the ground. If I can talk the driver into pulling into my drive, I can get it to the main door of my shop. It looks good, and everybody seems to like the results. I need it to expand my guitar body size to 15”.

-- Paul, Tennessee, http://www.tsunamiguitars.com

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I love the fact that you sent a nail through a brand new planer. That’s my kind of guy! This is a really nice planer; I’m jealous.

View hillcountrywoodcraft's profile

hillcountrywoodcraft

Hi lrob,
Thanks for the nice review. That’s a nice machine- we’ve been eyeing that and the green one for a few years now. Do you know which cutterhead shipped with the G0453px? Was wondering if it was the T10128 74 inserts or the H7655 72 inserts. Also, confused if the inserts are interchangeable for both those cutterheads. Grizzly wouldn’t say for sure which shipped for sure and gave different part numbers for the replacemnets. Wondering if spending the extra $120 is worth it for the green machine. Also, is the outfeed roller smooth or serrated?
Thanks again, Pauline