Great product, even better support!

Review by felkadelic posted 06-22-2011 02:44 AM 3059 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great product, even better support! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I originally picked this up last fall at Rockler, at a significant discount from the $84.99 MSRP (I believe I got it for $49.99). At the time, I didn’t have a table saw with a standard miter slot, so I was only able to use this on my router table for routing the end of pieces. While it worked just fine for that task, I held off judgment until getting a table saw so that I could use this for its main intended purpose.

A couple weeks ago I got a new (to me) Unisaw and was finally able to install my Incra gauge in a saw. After taking some time to perfect the fit of the miter bar (more on that in a bit…) and to square the gauge to the blade, I finally am ready to pass judgment on the miter gauge.

1. Accuracy—With just a slight adjustment, it’s perfect. Couldn’t ask for any better

2. Value—At the full price, it’s a bit steep. But I suppose that’s the price you pay for accuracy.

3. Customer Support—I mentioned that this product had been used in my router table before being moved to my table saw. Well, after a long time being adjusted for the router table, the nylon Glidelock bushings had siezed onto the adjustment screws—no matter how much force I exerted, I couldn’t get the screws to loosen up. Finally, I e-mailed Incra. I received a very prompt, very thoughtful and detailed response from Mark, Field Operations Manager at Incra. He suggested that applying some heat to the nylon bushings would cause them to loosen up and allow the adjustment screws to turn. A few seconds with a heat gun on each of the four bushings proved successful and allowed me to get a perfect fit in my table saw!

Also, you’ll notice in the attached photo that I’ve attached a 3ft section of Rockler T-Track to the Incra Gauge. This works very well and was significantly cheaper than purchasing an Incra Miter 1000 (although it wouldn’t be if I’d had to pay full price for the V120

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

15304 posts in 1935 days

#1 posted 06-22-2011 10:40 AM

Nice and congrats to tne deal. I have the Incra 1000 and must say the days of crappy picture frames are over. Perfect 45* everytime…. Love Incra tools!

View Brandon's profile

Brandon

#2 posted 06-22-2011 02:32 PM

I have the same gauge—also bought it during the Rockler sale last year! It really makes a significant difference having a nice miter gauge. Before I owned it would do all my cross cuts and miter cuts on the SCMS, but now 90% of those cuts are made on the TS with this gauge because it’s so accurate and easy to use. I highly recommend it as well!

-- "hold fast to that which is good"

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#3 posted 06-24-2011 03:14 AM

Thanks for the review and especially the tip on the miter bar adjustment screws. My V120 has the same problem, now know what to do!

-- Smitty

View felkadelic's profile

felkadelic

#4 posted 06-24-2011 04:14 AM

Smitty,
Be careful using the heat gun. I held the gun to the nylon bushings for just a few seconds too long and slightly scorched the nylon. It works fine, but I’d imagine that I was pretty close to melting it.

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

#5 posted 06-24-2011 08:42 PM

Thanks, I”ll take it slow. Good thing Incra is local for me in case I melt something!
Seeya,