Perfect in every way.

Review by woodklutz posted 1116 days ago 1878 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Perfect in every way. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This blade is great for cutting box joints and dados. I prefer the 1/4 inch cut, the 3/8 inch is seems not as controlled (it is) but I still stick to 1/4. I tried this in a crosscut and a rip cut, both cuts were excellent. I was just too lazy to change my blade for 4 cuts. I believe that for the price $65 at Amazon it is the best bargain out there.
A purist would probably use this set for dados or box joint cutting only, but I a true woodklutz ripped 24” that was as good as you could get.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

View cranesgonewild's profile

cranesgonewild

Good to know.
The latest Woodsmith magazine just did an article on box joints and they also mentioned this blade.
Apparently it makes a nice squared off cut.
I might get one of these.
Thanks for your input.

-- I'm a Fungi --

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

I have the same set but paid $95 for mine! DAMN! But I do love them {much better than my previous dado set}.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

Just don’t do what I did when you buy this set. First make sure your saw can handle an 8” inch dado set. My Craftsman saw was not up to it and I had to return the set to get a 6 inch dado set.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

Thanks for the tip.

View Paul Stoops's profile

Paul Stoops

I have this set as well. I have found it to be very useful for dados as well as box joints. I would highly recommend it. I think I paid around $90 a few years ago, so the $65 is a real steal.

-- Paul, Auburn, WA

View skippyland's profile

skippyland

I’ve had my set for quite a while now, and have found it to be very reliable…$65 is a great price. I liked the quality so much that I took the plunge for Freud’s dial a width 8” dado set…pricey, but worth every penney!

-- Skip from Batavia, purveyor of fine and exotic sawdust & chips.

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2049 days

i have this set too. I use it mostly for dados on my little benchtop table saw. very good quality cuts – those blades are sharp!

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

I have the Freud 8” dado set and I was curious what is the difference between this set and their standard dado set. The blades look the same. Did this some with special spacers for the box joint? Does it have less chippers and shimms than the dado set? Just wondering if you have one set do you in essence also have the other?

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1389 posts in 2049 days

there are only 2 blades with this. the teeth are set just right so that when the blades are faced “in” the blade width combines to 1/4” and when they face “out” they combine to 3/8”. There are no chippers and shims – this is meant to simplify things and was so designed for box joints.

View RexMcKinnon's profile

RexMcKinnon

Cool, thanks.

-- If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

View Don Clark's profile

Don Clark

I picked this up from Amazon for 65 as well. It makes super clean cuts – so nice not to have to chisel out the dados after cutting.

-- Don, www.happybungalow.com