The Best Woodworking Book I've Seen

Review by BentheViking posted 1036 days ago 2993 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The Best Woodworking Book I've Seen No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is basically a woodworking text book, but I’ve read it cover to cover.

First of all the book is huge.

First half is introductions to everything about woodworking—tooling, wood species, joinery, finishing, designing projects, setting up a shop. It doesn’t go into anything with so much depth that you will be a master at it, but is great as a general reference and a must for anyone setting out in the woodworking field.

The second part (as the title references) has full plans for many different projects ranging from very simple to much more complex. Indoor projects, outdoor projects, and shop projects. Cut lists, layout guides, pretty much anything that goes into setting out on a build is in here.

A seasoned professional may find much of the book of elementary (though I guarantee that there would be at least one new thing in there for you), but for someone who wants to get a starting knowledge of the craft should start here.

View Mike's profile

Mike

I have this book on my shelf too and love it! I have made several of the projects and they have really accurate plans. Even though I am in my woodshop year round and am proficient with my tools, I love opening this book every now and again to see something new in the pictures and descriptions. You would be amazed at how many of the plans have caused me to create new projects.

Five out of Five I feel.

-- look Ma! I still got all eleven of my fingers! - http://www.termitecrafts.com

BentheViking

I posted this today after opening it back up when I needed an answer when I was in my shop (trying to hand plane a board was not going well). They had the answer, my technique needs some practice (and probably some better tools) before I can get it to work as well as the book makes it seem, but the important thing was that the answer was there.

View Tomas's profile

Tomas

Thanks for the recommendation – I just picked up a copy for $11 off of ebay.

BentheViking

I think mine ended up being about $8 shipped on half…really sweetened the deal enjoy Tomas

View WoodworkingGeek's profile

WoodworkingGeek

I have the same book and love it!!
Thanks
Matthew

View 6t5Goat's profile

6t5Goat

Picked up a copy on half.com..

Thanks for the recommendation.

Mike

View BreakingBoardom's profile

BreakingBoardom

I have this book as well. First and only woodworking book I’ve bought so far. Well worth the money even at full price. Contains a lot of great info about all areas of woodworking. I would especially recommend this book to beginners as it has very useful info for choosing wood and everything you do before starting a project as well as info on finishing, which is one subject I knew nothing about when I started woodworking. Great reference for intermediate and advanced woodworkers as well.

-- Matt - http://breakingboardom.wordpress.com/

View Revrand1's profile

Revrand1

My father gave me this book for Christmas a few years agao. I built the basic workbenches and the saw horses as I am trying to set up shop. ...It has been a usefull book so far!

View Tim Kindrick's profile

Tim Kindrick

This is a great book for helping anyone become a well rounded woodworker!!!! I refer to it very frequently, especially the section on finishing!!!!!

-- I have metal in my neck but wood in my blood!!

View JC_WW's profile

JC_WW

I have this book and absolutely love it.

-- Justin C.