DeWalt DC515B 18V Cordless 1/2 Gallon Wet / Dry Vacuum

Review by BlankMan posted 1165 days ago 3190 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
DeWalt DC515B 18V Cordless 1/2 Gallon Wet / Dry Vacuum No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Thought I’d post a review for this thing since I didn’t see one here. Let me start out by saying, I love it! I usually don’t get too passionate over my tools but this thing has met and exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds.

First a little history on how I came to buy it. I have been using B&D DustBusters around the house for years, was on my second one at the time I bought this. The problems with these DustBusters is that the batteries are not readily replaceable by design. Planned obsolescence? Buy another one? Sure you can get replacement batteries and rip ‘er open and install them, but in the past when I tried that with the early B&D cordless drills the performance was never as good.

So I was looking around and didn’t really want to sink money into a third DustBuster so I tried others, Shark and what not. I’d like to say these others sucked but the problem was that they didn’t, very well, so back to the store they went. Then in my Google’n I stumbled on this thing. Holy cow! Battery problem solved! Now if it worked halfway decent we’d have a winner.

So since I had switched over from DeWalt 14.4v NiCad cordless tools to their 18V Li-Ion tools I had batteries. So I picked up the bare tool version for I wanna say around $90 at Farm & Fleet. Pricey by DustBuster standards but hey, if I never have to buy another one, well then a real sweet deal.

Once I started using it in the shop and around the house, it sucked! And that is what I wanted! The half gallon capacity is more then enough for this type of vac and I doubt it’s any more or less then a DustBuster. And the pleated filter it has is way bigger then the DustBusters and that equates to more air flow for a longer period of time till it needs cleaning. And it’s a wet vac too, another plus. Run time on a charged battery is also good. I’ve yet to run it continuously in one sitting and fully drain the battery. (I rotate my batteries between tools so usually I put a fully charged one in when I use it then move it to another tool.) And emptying the bin is a cinch.

This is one tool you might be able to easily convince your other half you really do need!

View Paul's profile

Paul

I also have one of these, it works ok but I’m not as impressed as you are. The suction seems marginal and the noise level is too high. Acceptable machine but not as great as I had hoped for.
Thanks for the review, always interesting to see what others think of stuff I have.
Paul

-- If you say 'It's good enough', it probably isn't.

1487 posts in 1980 days

I’m comparing to the 14.4V DustBuster it replaced and it sucks much better then that did. And I haven’t had any problem with it not picking up what I point it at.

Vacuums are always noisy inherent in the high RPM and airflow, airflow makes noise. But I don’t think it’s any louder the the full size vacuum I use in my living room. I’m gonna run them side by side to see. I’m gonna compare to my Shop Vac’s too and see. Being small, to me, doesn’t mean it should be quiet, and I don’t have to wear ear plugs when using it.

You mentioned the suction is marginal, I’m curious as to what you were vacuuming up and did it not pick it up?

1487 posts in 1980 days

I got curious so I set up my Sound Pressure Meter and my Dwyer Series 475 Mark III Handheld Digital Manometer and took some measurements. I set up my Sound Pressure Meter on a tripod 3 feet away from each vacuum set on the C Weighted Scale which is weighted for the human ear. Using a 1-1/4” extension wand and a static pressure probe centered in it I measured the static pressure of the airflow created by each vacuum.

As expected the DeWalt 18V Cordless vacuum was not even close to having the suction of the big vacuums but it did out perform the B&D DustBuster that the DeWalt replaced which was the basis for ranking it as a very good vacuum in the realm of handheld cordless vacuums. And as far as SPL (loudness) goes, it matches the big vacuums which one could say it’s loud for it’s size.

One thing that surprised me is that the Hang Up vacuum has very good suction.

And here’s my highly scientific measuring apparatus for the static pressure measurement. ;-)