A Quality Square

Review by brtech posted 1041 days ago 2391 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Quality Square No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been trying to score a Starrett 4” double square on Ebay for a couple of months. I use a snipe service and have bid around $35 on any reasonable item, adjusting based on shipping charges and condition. Lost out on at least a dozen. The going rate is $45+. I scored a 12” combo square with the protractor head and the regular head for $39, but couldn’t get a plain double square.

This one is $36.50 new. It’s a bit much, but not bad. It’s very nice. The mechanism is smooth. It’s not incredibly easy to flip the rule, but it’s not too bad. The casting is nicely finished. The rule is the high point, it’s nicely etched and black filled. Very easy to read. Has eighths and sixteenths on one side and 32nds and 64ths on the other. I can set the rule to any 64th without a lot of fuss. It looks good, it feels good, it works well.

This one’s a keeper, and will go in my apron pocket.

View brtech's profile

brtech

View NiteWalker's profile

NiteWalker

I had one of those and sold it. Probably one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made. I loved it for the same reasons you mentioned above. I’ll order another soon. Not sure if I’ll get the 4” or 6” version this time (or both).

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View tenontim's profile

tenontim

Thanks for the review. I’ve got one of these on my wish list at Lee Valley.

-- Tim

View Elizabeth's profile

Elizabeth

I have one of these, it’s been great and fits in my pocket very well. I can’t compare it to other ones, as it’s my first one. I got it on the recommendation of a woodworking workshop teacher.

View TechRedneck's profile

TechRedneck

Thanks for the review. I’ve been looking for one of these to put in my apron and may give it a look.

-- Mike.... West Virginia. "Man is a tool using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all.". T Carlyle

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

It’s a great square. Mine finally had enough of me knocking it off the bench accidently 40 or 50 times and now it’s just a wee bit off square, go figure. Some people just shouldn’t own nice tools….....

-- Paul

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

210 posts in 2003 days

I just got one for myself a few weeks ago and love it! Only bad thing (that you also mentioned) is that it’s kinda hard to put the rule back in after removing it.

View libraryman's profile

libraryman

Spent about 40 minutes looking for the little spring under the knob after dropping it while trying to remount the blade. Needless to say my shop floor is a mess and needed the sweeping needed to find the spring. I use this tool for most every project lately and it’s great for tool set ups. Worth the price – not so sure about the shipping costs.