TWW finishing book & DVD

Review by Sodabowski posted 06-09-2011 01:12 PM 2054 views 2 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
TWW finishing book & DVD No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just received my copy of Marc Spagnuolo’s first book, along with the “Best Of 2009” Guild videos DVD.

As I can’t afford a subscription to the WW Guild, this was a good option for me to support him a little, plus I like tech/art books, and this is one of those: finishing is both a bit technical and absolutely has something to do with art.

So for a quick review: if you’re used to Mark’s videos, you’ll be into well-known territory, the book reads as you would watch a video (and of course that applies to the DVD too). As he states it, it’s not a cooking recipes book, but rather a DOs/DONTs on the most frequent mistakes we can do as amateur or beginner woodworkers.

I actually learned several very useful things from the book, and I would absolutely recommend it to an absolute novice woodworker (which I am not). It reads very easily (even for a non-american reader, which I am) and the videos on the DVD are what can be expected from a TWW video: way good.

Why only four stars then? Well, because there are a few cosmetic things that can be improved, and because I want to be honest: the book is good but several things can be enhanced form-wise, among which:

- quoting of an online resource without a footnote: quite disturbing to me, but maybe is it my scientific background and what I’m used to that makes me feel uncomfy when reading a printed video name without the actual URL being written on the footnotes of the very same page, as if it were a mere print of a website page.

- scattering of note blocks across both sides of the pages: hopefully it happened only once (page 10), but it absolutely dazzles the eyes to get shadowed blocks all over around the text.

- 300 lpi printing at the era of 2400+ lpi? dude, seriously, this looks like an old 90s book. Kick your editor in the butt for me, it’s a shame to produce a book on finishing with such gruesome printing and visible grayscale dots.

Anyway, contents-wise this is definately a winner, and I would recommend it or send it as a gift without any hesitation.

So keep the good work up Mark, and hey wait, where’s my autograph? èé

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2038 posts in 1518 days

View Schwieb's profile

Schwieb

#1 posted 06-09-2011 01:47 PM

Great review Thomas. I like your straight forward analysis and opinion. I’ll give it a look.

-- Dr. Ken, Florida - Durch harte arbeit werden Träume wahr.

View Estley's profile

Estley

#2 posted 06-09-2011 02:06 PM

I received mine last week, and so far so great, to be honest I haven’t gotten to the book yet, too many things in my reading list.

the only thing is that disc 2 of the dvd thing, I was trying to see the William Ng thing and the player gets hung up.

View bluejazz's profile

bluejazz

#3 posted 06-09-2011 02:14 PM

I just wish I had this book last summer. Would have saved a lot of heartache.

-- I'm 56. In my mind, I still feel 26. Until I do something physical; then I feel 76.

View Will Stokes's profile

Will Stokes

262 posts in 2039 days

#4 posted 06-09-2011 02:45 PM

Still eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive. :-)

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

#5 posted 06-09-2011 03:13 PM

I am about half-way through the book. As mentioned above, good for novices, which I am.

Was it worth the $25. Absolutely.

Anytime I can learn stuff that will better prepare me to do those that I want to do ….. and will be doing, then $25 is really very little compared to the end product…..........particularly if you screw it up out of ignorance.

I admit to liking Marc’s style…................. so that makes a difference also.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

View RONFINCH's profile

RONFINCH

#6 posted 06-09-2011 06:16 PM

Received my book, also. Being a novice when it comes to proper finishing techniques, I find the book very informative. As for the DVD….........keeps freezing up my player, and no, it’s not my player having the problem, every other dvd plays fine.

View gillyd's profile

gillyd

#7 posted 06-10-2011 01:22 PM

I listen to his video casts at work, curious, is the book just a rehash of all of those video casts or is there something in the books that I would be missing?

View Sodabowski's profile

Sodabowski

2038 posts in 1518 days

#8 posted 06-10-2011 01:47 PM

A bit of each worlds in fact.

-- Holy scrap Barkman!

View DamnYankee's profile

DamnYankee

#9 posted 06-10-2011 10:03 PM

I’ve liked Marc’s videos as I’ve started with my woodworking addiction so I will have to check it out as well.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View Luke's profile

Luke

539 posts in 1979 days

#10 posted 06-11-2011 05:02 AM

Got mine the other day, Personally signed with a special note to boot! Thanks mark! if you’re reading this. I haven’t had a chance to really get into it yet but just supporting your great work with the community is worth every penny.

-- LAS, http://www.abettersign.com

#11 posted 06-18-2011 11:42 AM

Sweet another book for the library. I like watching him and the fact that he takes time to e mail you back with answers go a long way in showing what kind of persone he is! I’m hopomg to meet him and the woodworking show in vegas next month!