Craftsman 12'' bandsaw

Review by WoodworkingGeek posted 06-09-2011 02:54 AM 16407 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Craftsman 12'' bandsaw Craftsman 12'' bandsaw Craftsman 12'' bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Hi lumber jocks!!
I got some great news!! I got a used 12’’ bandsaw!! I found it on cregslist for $85 great deal don’t you think. We brought the saw home and set it up in the garage and did some test cuts, gave the blade guards some adjustment and the saw did great in the test!! The saw has a 7’’ 1/2’’ cutting capacity. And has a powerful 1/2 hp motor. The fence is very nice, but it appears that the table is mounted backwards because the adjustment handle is on the back of the saw. The saw came with a nice miter gauge as well. And great timing because we are moving and I’ll have to lug the saw all the way to Georgia!! I’ll be posting more about that later.
Give me your advice on giving a tuneup on a band saw!!
Thanks for looking!!

#1 posted 06-09-2011 03:43 AM

I have the same saw. It is a good saw, depending on what you expect out of it. I do a lot of work with mine, but have found it to be pretty much useless for resawing wide wood. It just isn’t made for that. For curved cut in wood though, it does what it’s meant to do. It will cut six inch thick wood. I have done that. Jst throw a good blade on it and the only way it’ll ever bog down is if you try to cut a curve too tight. I’ve done that too. It just won’t cut accurately enough for a lot of resawing jobs. Now with the right aftermarket guides, I think it just might though.
Oh, and on this band saw, the adjustment handle for the table is on the backside of the table, opposite where you stand to cut. That’s the way it is on every one of these I’ve ever seen, including mine.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

#2 posted 06-09-2011 06:28 AM

I have pretty much the same saw as well. I think I paid $100. Mine has a smooth cast iron table and a 3/4hp motor. William summarized the machine pretty well. I updated mine with urethane tires, link belt, cool blocks, and a decent blade. It does OK. Bogs down a bit sometimes, but otherwise its a decent machine. I’m sure I’ll upgrade at some point in the future, but this machine is good enough for now.

Congrats BTW.

#3 posted 06-09-2011 03:01 PM

Hey thanks for the comments
I don’t have a problem with the saw boging down. I cut a huge seasoned Osage Orange log and haven’t had a problem. And I re-sawed paper thin veneer as well. Cutting curves, well I have a 3/8’’ blade on the saw so as you all know we cant cut tight curves with that big of a blade.
thanks, let me know what I can do further with the saw

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 06-09-2011 03:55 PM

Just curious – - There are some older Craftsman 12” bandsaws where the table does not tilt, but the cutting blade does. Is that the case with this saw? I’ve always thought that was an interesting and appealing idea if it works well. I’ve never seen that feature on any other band saw.

#5 posted 06-09-2011 06:19 PM

richgreer
I have seen that kind of bandsaw and was thinking of getting that kind. But on my saw the table tilts not the hole body.
Thanks for asking

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#6 posted 06-09-2011 06:24 PM

Nice score! Are you going to flip the table?

#7 posted 06-09-2011 06:42 PM

I don’t know if I can, as you can see in the pic the slot to get the blade off and if I were to flip the table around I couldn’t remove the blade.

5387 posts in 1979 days

#8 posted 06-09-2011 07:33 PM

I am not sure from the pics, but it looks like the fence is on backwards. Not necessarily the table. Post some more pics and I should be able to tell you…

I see those saws come up on CL all the time around here. They sure were popular!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

#9 posted 06-09-2011 09:33 PM

I have seen a saw like what you are talking about Rich. It was a large cabinet style saw. The table was much larger than most band saws. The cutting assembly moved, tilting the blade instead of the table. I tried buying it, but the guy told me it wasn’t for sale and never would be becasue he had never been able to find another one. So I guess they’re kind of hard to find.

View crank49's profile

crank49

#10 posted 06-09-2011 09:49 PM

The tilting frame Craftsman saws appear on Nashville’s Craigs List from time to time. Usually for $250 to $300.

I have a friend and business partner who’s wife bought one of those about 10 to 15 years ago. Don’t think it has ever cut a piece of wood. Just sits in their unused shop. . , being unused.

By the way, nice looking saw Matthew.

-- Michael :-{| “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― A H

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

#11 posted 06-12-2011 12:34 AM

I’ve got the same bandsaw. I got it used too – it seems like an incredibly popular model that is often resold. I have no serious complaints about, given its limited motor size and capacity (vertically and size of table). but like you i got a super deal on it, so you can’t complain too much.

I don’t have a good blade on it, but have still been able to resaw ~6” cherry and mahogany with it without too much difficulty. actually the only time I had the saw really bog down is when i was recently ripping some 5/4 decking, but man that stuff was wet!

#12 posted 06-12-2011 02:58 AM

dbhost hit the nail on the head. I went back and looked carefully at the photos. I see now why you think the table is on backwards. The current installment of the fence makes it seem so. Luckily, the fence only clamps on. Remove it and turn it around to where the handle is facing the operator. As for the tilt handle, it is in an awkwards place, on the other side of the saw from where the operator stands. This I’m afraid is just the way this saw was designed. Besides getting the table square when I first got mine, I’ve never moved the tit adjustment though. I haven’t had the need.

#13 posted 06-12-2011 05:07 PM

The only thing is that if I were to move the fence slider thing around I could not get the blade on and off when changing blades, I would have to remove the bar that supports the fence. What can I do? Thanks for the advice In advance!!

#14 posted 06-12-2011 06:45 PM

I didn’t realize it had a bar that has to be attached to the table. I’m sorry. I got mine in a trade. My brother’s boss man needed ten slabs of oak I had. I needed a band saw. So I didn’t complain that mine didn’t come with a fence. I seldom do anything with mine that requires a fence. When I do happen to need one, my fence is a piece of three inch thick mahogany and two C-clamps.
So if I understand what you’re saying correctly, the handle would just have to be operated from the back side of the table. It may be an inconvenience, but it doesn’t seem to be that big of a deal. It’s funny though that the fence handle and the tilt handle are both at the back side of the table.
Oh well, I still think it’s a great saw for what it’s usually sold for. I hope to eventually graduate to a much larger and better saw though.

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1937 days

#15 posted 06-13-2011 07:58 AM

Nice find band saw is a great tool…makes wood working a lot more fun!!! :)

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.