Segmented Turning, A Good Beginning by Bill Kandler

Review by Bluepine38 posted 06-08-2011 04:17 PM 2252 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Segmented Turning, A Good Beginning  by Bill Kandler No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

8iowa mentioned Bill Kandler’s book in one of his posts, and since I was ready to start on segmented
turning and was trying to design a miter sled, I checked out his site. He not only had a miter sled, but he
gave a free download of it’s design and how to build it. Naturally, like any woodworker, (we all seem to think
we can boil water better than the next guy syndrome) I am tweaking it to suit myself. Bill gives this away
in spite of the fact that he wants to sell you the complete book for $34.85. Naturally, I check Amazon, the
book is out of print. Back to Bill’s site-anyone who can build and describe a sled like this and give it away
has to be a good woodworker who loves his turning and wants to share it. I ordered the book, regular
shipping, at 72 I am in no hurry anymore, besides I am building the miter sled while I wait. It came in the
mail yesterday, and I am doing nothing except going to the gym, eating and reading the book. He is
modest, it is an excellent beginning. He starts with the basics telling you what is segmented turning?,
what tools are used, what you can make, how to design it and goes on step by step, including tips from
his wife (a smart man-he listens to his wife) up to computer programs to help you design your projects
and cut and arrange all the segments. I am on my second read through (I know, I am old and slow, but
I am also happy and get to play in my woodworking shop) and the reason Amazon lists it as out of print is
because once you buy it, you will not part with it, except to your favorite son, make that great grandson,
you will be giving your son and grandson their own copies. I have an extensive woodworking library, from
Roy Underhill to Norm Abram, but this book is one of the best. Like Kenneth Grahame’s character in
“The Wind in the Willows” Mr. Toad and I are off on a new Wild Ride and I want to invite all of you to
join us. I do not think I have had this much fun since I tore a pedal off the crank and broke the frame
on my mountain bike coming down from Stuart Peak in the Rattlesnake recreation area 10 years ago.
See you in the woodwork shop.

-- As ever, Gus-the 75 yr young apprentice carpenter

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

#1 posted 06-15-2011 11:54 PM

Thanks for the great review! You make it sound like a lot of fun!

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View sedcokid's profile

sedcokid

#2 posted 07-11-2011 07:05 PM

Thanks for the great review. I am going to order this book!!

Thanks for posting