Blade Alignment (front to back)

Review by jerrells posted 06-06-2011 11:08 PM 4728 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Blade Alignment (front to back) Blade Alignment (front to back) No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After having this saw for about 9 months, and using the heck out of it, I have noticed that the blade is not at 90- degrees – front to back. That means is is leaning back about 1/32 of an inch on the top side vs. the bottom (at the table). This was most noticable yesterday when cutting a 3-D compound cut and the cutouts were different size one side vs. the other. Now the almost useless product manual is of not help with this problem and previous attempts with Porter Cable have also been useless (they do not make the saw). They do address and have adjustment for left to right out of alignment issues. I looked for any type of adjustment or reposition of the blade but it seems that this is not the answer. I have not found a post that addresses this issue.

Does anyone who has this saw have a answer or directions to available information.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

View dlmckirdy's profile

dlmckirdy

#1 posted 06-06-2011 11:31 PM

I don’t have a scroll saw, but can you shim the table mounts? On my bandsaw, I had to shim the table for fore and aft tilt to the blade. I added thin shim washers between the table and trunnions.

-- Doug, Bakersfield, CA - I measured twice, cut it twice, and it is still too short!

View sawblade1's profile

sawblade1

#2 posted 06-07-2011 06:07 PM

Does it have an orbital action? As I had a craftsman scroll saw that did this but moving one saw arm up or down depending on the right setting the blade could be out of parallel front to back. I never really understood this action other than it was to make the saw cut more aggressive not a feature I really needed and truthfully I have a Delta 16” shopmaster and love it to death :)

-- Proverbs Ch:3 vs 5,6,7 Trust in the lord with all thine heart and lean not unto your own understanding but in all your ways aknowledge him and he shall direct your path elmerthomas81@neo.rr.com

View jerrells's profile

jerrells

#3 posted 06-07-2011 06:58 PM

I used the saw again this morning and before I started I had a large cup of coffee anbd some clearer thinking. The upper and lower blade attachments are thumb screws with instructions for plain end bladees to tighten both with an allen wrench. I think what is happening is that as I tighten the upper clamp it rotates back (as it should) and when the screw is tight against the blade it has (kinda) locked in the position of NOT 90 degrees to the table. I tried using some spacers to limit backward travel as I tighten the thumb screw and this seemed to help. If this is going to be the answer it will be a pain in the back side as it is one more step to remember.

More testing tomorrow as it is after noon in Texas and headed toward 100 degrees again.

-- Just learning the craft my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ practiced.