My first bandsaw

Review by ic3ss posted 06-06-2011 11:05 PM 5465 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My first bandsaw My first bandsaw My first bandsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked this up from Craigslist the other day for $200, not bad I thought. It’s got a 1 1/2hp motor so it should be a bit more powerful than the 3/4hp Ridgid that I was looking at. The best thing about this deal was the original owner put on a Kraig KMS7200 fence and added two resaw guides, an HTC2000 mobile base, and four blades. A smokin’ deal I thought.

I have a question for all you experienced bandsaw guys: I adjusted the blade guides and then noticed the blade on the bottom wheel was not centered, but the top was. I made sure the tension is right for the 1/4” blade that’s on it and rotating the wheels in the right direction to cut, the top is centered and the bottom is off to the left. If I turn the wheels backwards, the top drifts to the right and the bottom corrects a little. I tried to adjust it using the top tracking knob, but it only seemed to change tracking on the top wheel.

I was looking for a way to adjust the bottom wheel straight out on the shaft but I don’t see a way to do it gracefully. There’s a retaining nut that keeps the bearing on, so I might be able to pull the wheel off and shim it, but it seems there should be a better way to deal with it.

Thanks,

View dlmckirdy's profile

dlmckirdy

#1 posted 06-06-2011 11:18 PM

You will probably want to give it a try with all the blades. On mine, the 1/4” blades ride the same as yours, while the 1/2 ” wood slicers ride centered on both wheels.

Also, watch The Wood Whisperer’s video on tuning up a bandsaw. He shows how to set both wheels parallel prior to installing (or tensioning) the blade.

-- Doug, Bakersfield, CA - I measured twice, cut it twice, and it is still too short!

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

#2 posted 06-06-2011 11:53 PM

Nice grab off C/L.Looks like a niece machine.Mobile base as well.$200 was a steel!!!!

5387 posts in 1985 days

#3 posted 06-07-2011 05:53 AM

That is a great deal… I second the suggestion to watch the wood whisperer video on band saw tuning…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Michael J's profile

Michael J

103 posts in 1961 days

#4 posted 06-07-2011 05:31 PM

Nice score. If you plan on doing re-sawing, I highly recommend the 1/2” Woodslicer blade. I have a 1.5 HP Rikon and it re-saws 12” stock like a hot knife through butter with that blade.

-- Mike Minneapolis, MN

#5 posted 06-07-2011 06:51 PM

Thanks Michael, I’ve heard really good things about it. I’ll definitely put that on my list.

View IrreverentJack's profile

IrreverentJack

#6 posted 06-07-2011 07:50 PM

Great deal Wayne. If the previous owner left the blade tensioned the tires might have a set or ridge where the blade was. If that’s causing the tracking problem, new tires are an easy fix. Iturra Design has a free catalog with great information on 14” bandsaws. Their number is 904-642-2802 . -Jack

#7 posted 06-07-2011 08:28 PM

Take a long builders level and make sure the top and bottom wheel are co-planar. If not, check the manual to see how to shim the wheels. The tracking knob is only supposed to adjust the top wheel.
Best of luck!

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

#8 posted 06-07-2011 08:55 PM

Wayne, there are about 6 or so adjustments to tune the saw. There are adjustments front to back, side to side, and what I call wheel to wheel. The woodslicer and timberwolf blades come with worthwhile instructions plus there are some books to tune the saw including the manual. They are worth the reading.

A lot of the commercial type saws do not explain as well as they could because it is considered a commercial type of equipment and the rules are different from “residential” duty equipment.

-- David in Damascus, MD

#9 posted 06-08-2011 06:55 AM

I put my framing level across the wheels and found the bottom wheel back too far on the shaft. I took out the retaining bolt and pulled the wheel out on the shaft, then turned the wheels until it was pretty much centered, then adjusted the top wheel tracking until the blade centers on both wheels. I measured the distance I pulled the wheel out and I figure I need about a 1/4” thick shim between the bottom blade wheel and the drive wheel. That seems like a lot to me, what do you think?

View dbray45's profile

dbray45

#10 posted 06-08-2011 02:12 PM

Check the column/blade guide that holds the top of the bandsaw to the base. This, if loose or bent will offset the top wheel. To test this, see if the wheels are different – far lleft and far right between the top and bottom wheels. An easy way to do this is to take two 4’ levels and clamp to each of the wheels – rotate so that both are horizontal. The ends of the levels should be on the same vetical plane – no twist.

Sometimes a bandsaw is tipped over, dropped or when assembled and when picked up, this can bend.

-- David in Damascus, MD

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

#11 posted 06-08-2011 03:53 PM

$200? Did you wear a mask?

Heck of a buy!

—Gerry

View Beginningwoodworker's profile

Beginningwoodworker

#12 posted 06-08-2011 04:00 PM

Congrats on a good buy.

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

#13 posted 06-09-2011 12:40 AM

Nope, I didn’t wear a mask. That’s funny though. They seller was moving out of state and had to get rid of this as it was one of two bandsaws he had. He was a motivated seller, and I was very happy to help him out. I’m good like that.

David – I understand you to say that the top wheel can become twisted side to side out of position in relation to the bottom wheel if the column or it’s attachments are bent as a result of being dropped? Is that right? I’ll check that tonight when I get home. I didn’t notice anything obvious yet.

Has anyone else had to shim the bottom wheel out as far as 1/4”?

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

695 posts in 1936 days

#14 posted 06-14-2011 12:22 AM

I agree with the Dane, if convicted you could do some serious time for robbery!! I bought a used Jet for $350, and that was without the fence, which is what, $99, plus the base is about $50, plus the blades. You basically bought the accessories and got the saw for FREE. I’m jealous of course. Great deal, enjoy it.

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View 58j35bonanza's profile

58j35bonanza

#15 posted 06-30-2011 02:22 AM

Nice find. Usually things are gone by the time I call. You got a great deal.

-- Chuck