Tool Review - Veritas Set-Up Blocks

Review by Randy Price posted 1185 days ago 3215 views 4 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tool Review - Veritas Set-Up Blocks No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Veritas Set-Up Blocks

(ed. note: This is a companion post from www.randallprice.com).

For the first tool review on www.randallprice.com I’ve chosen a one that is by far the of the most often used tools in my shop and one that has raised the accuracy and precision of my work to a new level – Veritas® Set-Up Blocks.

As you may have already found, transferring measurements is a much more accurate method of set up than taking a measurement from a rule.

This is where the Veritas set-up blocks shine. With the set-up blocks you always have a standard reference for transferring measurements within a project, or from project to project.

The combination of blocks in this set allows for measurements of 1/16” to 4 11/16”, in 1/16” increments.

SET-UP BLOCK USES

I use the set-up blocks for setting up:

- Rips, cross-cuts and dados on the table saw
- Various set-ups on the router table
- Rips on the bandsaw
- Drill press set-ups, using a fence and stop blocks

DEAD-ON THICKNESS

Another way I use the Veritas Set-Up Blocks guarantees accurate thicknesses from the planer and especially from the thickness sander.

This is done by first getting close to the final thickness and then slowly working up to the final thickness, checking against the set-up blocks after each pass through the planer or thickness sander.

With each pass place the set-up block next to the stock and feel if they are level with each other. The fingers can detect the unevenness much better than the eye can.

Once the stock and block tops feel perfectly level, I know I’ve reached the thickness I want.

I highly recommend the Veritas Set-Up blocks, in my shop they are a must-have for every project.

VIDEO REVIEW

View Randy Price's profile

Randy Price

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

Thanks for the review Randy.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

I got “em.

I love “em.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

View woodworkerscott's profile

woodworkerscott

-- " 'woodworker'.....it's a good word, an honest word." - Sam Maloof

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

Great review! I plan on getting a set.Did you find a good price?Set up blocks make so much sense.You can actually see and “feel” weather you got the router bit,saw blade and planer(witch is a brilliant idea) set correctly your hands and fingers are your best tools! It is so much better than fumbling with a ruler and trying to see weather the router bit lines up with the ruler for hight.”Is the ruler realy sitting flat”Oh I need to turn this ruler around I cant see it on the 32nd side.If your like me you can’t see the dam ruler anyway!With set block lay it down,does it match the hight of the router bit,”yes”,make your cut,SIMPLE, DONE!!!!!!!!!__

View makedust's profile

makedust

Nice review Randy…I have a set and would not be without them…much greater precision on set-ups and adjustments.

-- "Happiness is creating dust"

View Randy Price's profile

Randy Price

Thanks all for the comments -

Chipy – the set-up blocks are $37.50 – here’s the link: Veritas® Set-Up Blocks.

The set-up blocks are something I would not have thought I would use much, but they turned out to be an essential tool for me.

You can see from the comments above others have had a similar experience.

They seem kind of pricey, but after using them I think they were well worth the price.

If you decide to get them I would be interested in how they work for you.

Randy

-- http://www.plankandplane.com

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

I have and use this set as well, although I have to remember to use it since it is something new for me. I find the 1-2-3 block useful for right angle checks as well. They sit on my measurement tote
which holds an every changing pile of frequently used items, such as a flashlight, pencils, Incra rules, box knife, compass, razor scraper, small squares, digital instruments (3), center punches etc.

However, on my TS, I depend on a Wixey digital readout, and a zeroing method that is simple and accurate…...I place a specially made block of oak in a miter slot, and when I move the fence to it, it should read the number written on the block, which I predetermined by cutting a piece of wood at that position, and measuring it with a calipers. I also have the decimal size of the blade (thin kerf) written on the block, and instructions on how to adjust the Wixey if it has gone bonkers (which it seems to do if I forget to turn it off and it automatically turns off).

On my RAS I have a special fence for setting crosscuts, which also minimizes the number of measurements I have to transfer.

Thanks for reviewing this, I also checked out the video, just to remind me of different ways they can be used.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Nice tools and review …thanks for the link , Randy : )

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1907 days

I have a set of these and I also find them very useful….I use them on the router table, TS and for setting up box/finger joints. These are awesome….and the price is very reasonable.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!