Router Dust Collection That Works!

Review by TheDane posted 06-01-2011 05:48 PM 6113 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Router Dust Collection That Works! Router Dust Collection That Works! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I bought my DeWalt DWP611PK router (which I love), I didn’t order any of the accessories for it.

But, after such positive experiences with the router itself, I decided to give the accessories a shot as well.

DeWalt offers four accessories for the DWP611PK … edge guides for both the fixed base and plunge base, as well as dust collection adapters for both.

I haven’t had enough opportunity to use the edge guides (DNP618 for the fixed base, DW6913 for the plunge base) to give them a fair review, but I have had enough use of the dust collection accessories to comment on them.

I have never been very impressed with dust collection accessories for hand-held routers … dust collection attachments for my other routers were clumsy to use, obstructed the view of the work surface, required tools to attach/detach, and generally resulted in quite a bit of dust and debris in the air and around the work area.

By contract, these both do a superb job. They are easy to attach/detach (using easy to manage thumb screws), take standard 1.25” hoses, and are clear plastic so they don’t obstruct your view. And they do a terrific job of removing debris from the surface you are routing without cluttering the work area.

I did a bunch of template routing last week (routing tracks for tambours on some cabinets I am building for holiday gifts) with the plunge base. The DNP616 fully encloses the area around the bit inside the plunge base, and despite plowing through a bunch of hard maple, no dust made it to the bench and the work surface remained clear.

I had a similar experience with the DNP615 in the fixed base routing rabbets inside a door frame. The dust collection attachment essentially turns the router base into a closed chamber so there is virtually no place for dust to escape.

Fellow LJ Gord Graff did an excellent review of the DeWalt DWP611PK (see: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2066 )... suggest you check out Gord’s review for more info on the router itself.

#1 posted 06-02-2011 02:04 AM

There is only one problem being caused by this router in my shop … my PC690 is suffering from abandonment issues!

In fairness, there are some things it is not well-suited for (cope/stick, raised panels, etc.), but there are so many things it is just the perfect fit for.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 2025 days

#2 posted 06-02-2011 02:41 AM

This is my go to hand router….I love this little guy for its light weight and manueverability…I sold my colt to a guy with a CNC system….and haven’t missed it once.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

#3 posted 06-02-2011 05:26 AM

My triton router has some clear plastic dust shrouds that seem to develop a thin coating of dust making it difficult to see the bit clearly. I suspect it develops a static charge over time.
Does the dewalt have that tendency too?

#4 posted 06-02-2011 01:57 PM

Sarit—There’s a little dust buildup, but not bad. A shot with the air hose takes care of it.

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

#5 posted 06-08-2011 12:57 AM

What were you using for suction? Shop-vac or dust collector?

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

#6 posted 06-08-2011 01:31 AM

Nope … no dust collector. I use a Ridgid WD1250 5hp vac with an Oneida Dust Deputy.

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

#7 posted 06-09-2011 12:29 AM

Thanks Gerry. That is what I figured. The small ports seem to work better with a shop vac.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

#8 posted 06-09-2011 01:44 AM

I made a short 1.25” hose (about 4’) with a step-up adapter to connect to the 2.5” hose on my Dust Deputy. I don’t like dragging the bigger hose around while connected to small, hand-held tools. I use this same hose on biscuit joiner and scroll saw.

View Jean-Marc's profile

Jean-Marc

#9 posted 06-09-2011 01:23 PM

Hello from Belgium,
Hi guys, I will need your advice. I am willing to buy a router for doing mainly signs. Here in europe we have only plunge routers. Which is the best router for free hand routing.

-- Jean-Marc

View Diznix's profile

Diznix

#10 posted 11-28-2012 05:24 PM

To help with dust gathering on plastics, polish the plastics with some pledge. This removes the static and makes what small amount of dust, that does cling, wipe away very easily. I use this on my safety glasses and works wonders.

Eric

-- Diznix

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

#11 posted 11-28-2012 10:44 PM

you can also wipe plastics or glass with clothes dryer fabric softener sheets. works well

#12 posted 11-28-2012 11:42 PM

I use ‘Parker’s Perfect Anti-fog Spray’ on my glasses and face shield.

Does the same thing as Pledge (or dryer sheets) only you don’t walk around smelling like furniture polish or Downy.