Router Dust Collection That Works!

Review by TheDane posted 1182 days ago 5420 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Router Dust Collection That Works! Router Dust Collection That Works! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

When I bought my DeWalt DWP611PK router (which I love), I didn’t order any of the accessories for it.

But, after such positive experiences with the router itself, I decided to give the accessories a shot as well.

DeWalt offers four accessories for the DWP611PK … edge guides for both the fixed base and plunge base, as well as dust collection adapters for both.

I haven’t had enough opportunity to use the edge guides (DNP618 for the fixed base, DW6913 for the plunge base) to give them a fair review, but I have had enough use of the dust collection accessories to comment on them.

I have never been very impressed with dust collection accessories for hand-held routers … dust collection attachments for my other routers were clumsy to use, obstructed the view of the work surface, required tools to attach/detach, and generally resulted in quite a bit of dust and debris in the air and around the work area.

By contract, these both do a superb job. They are easy to attach/detach (using easy to manage thumb screws), take standard 1.25” hoses, and are clear plastic so they don’t obstruct your view. And they do a terrific job of removing debris from the surface you are routing without cluttering the work area.

I did a bunch of template routing last week (routing tracks for tambours on some cabinets I am building for holiday gifts) with the plunge base. The DNP616 fully encloses the area around the bit inside the plunge base, and despite plowing through a bunch of hard maple, no dust made it to the bench and the work surface remained clear.

I had a similar experience with the DNP615 in the fixed base routing rabbets inside a door frame. The dust collection attachment essentially turns the router base into a closed chamber so there is virtually no place for dust to escape.

Fellow LJ Gord Graff did an excellent review of the DeWalt DWP611PK (see: http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2066 )... suggest you check out Gord’s review for more info on the router itself.

TheDane

There is only one problem being caused by this router in my shop … my PC690 is suffering from abandonment issues!

In fairness, there are some things it is not well-suited for (cope/stick, raised panels, etc.), but there are so many things it is just the perfect fit for.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1901 days

This is my go to hand router….I love this little guy for its light weight and manueverability…I sold my colt to a guy with a CNC system….and haven’t missed it once.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View Sarit's profile

Sarit

My triton router has some clear plastic dust shrouds that seem to develop a thin coating of dust making it difficult to see the bit clearly. I suspect it develops a static charge over time.
Does the dewalt have that tendency too?

TheDane

Sarit—There’s a little dust buildup, but not bad. A shot with the air hose takes care of it.

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

What were you using for suction? Shop-vac or dust collector?

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

TheDane

Nope … no dust collector. I use a Ridgid WD1250 5hp vac with an Oneida Dust Deputy.

View SASmith               's profile

SASmith

Thanks Gerry. That is what I figured. The small ports seem to work better with a shop vac.

-- Scott Smith, Southern Illinois

TheDane

I made a short 1.25” hose (about 4’) with a step-up adapter to connect to the 2.5” hose on my Dust Deputy. I don’t like dragging the bigger hose around while connected to small, hand-held tools. I use this same hose on biscuit joiner and scroll saw.

View Jean-Marc's profile

Jean-Marc

Hello from Belgium,
Hi guys, I will need your advice. I am willing to buy a router for doing mainly signs. Here in europe we have only plunge routers. Which is the best router for free hand routing.

-- Jean-Marc

View Diznix's profile

Diznix

To help with dust gathering on plastics, polish the plastics with some pledge. This removes the static and makes what small amount of dust, that does cling, wipe away very easily. I use this on my safety glasses and works wonders.

Eric

-- Diznix

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

you can also wipe plastics or glass with clothes dryer fabric softener sheets. works well

TheDane

I use ‘Parker’s Perfect Anti-fog Spray’ on my glasses and face shield.

Does the same thing as Pledge (or dryer sheets) only you don’t walk around smelling like furniture polish or Downy.