Good Bang for the Buck

Review by knotscott posted 05-30-2011 01:50 PM 1633 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good Bang for the Buck No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

The AR118 is a compact portable electric power washer. It’s not in the same league as a $1500 commercial grade gas powered washer, but it’s plenty capable for average residential use, and is a solid bang for the buck. It’s small, lightweight, inexpensive, and very portable. It does an excellent job on vinyl siding, patio furniture, concrete, paint and stain removal from decks, and is great at pre-rinsing major dirt off the car, though you’ll still need to wash with soap and a sponge to remove the road film. The adjustable spray nozzle adjusts easily from a light mist to hard cutting beam of water. The attachments go together quickly and easily, and it seems surprisingly well made for the price. I’ve run it for hours at a time without a whimper from it. For such a low cost unit, I’ve got a lot of confidence in the build quality of this pump and motor. On a more critical note, the hose is a little stiff, and some water does leak from the hose attachment. The storage compartments for the nozzle attachments are handy, but the cord storage area is far too small for the entire cord that’s included….you can only wrap about 1/3 of the cord around it before it’s full.

I was a little concerned that a pressure washer for < $100 might be nothing more than a glorified squirt gun, but this one is a really useful tool at a great price. I’m usually not overly generous with 5-star ratings, and I’d certainly expect more from a more expensive unit, but overall I don’t know how much more I could expect from an electric power washer at this price point.

Edit:
After having this washer for a couple of seasons, the gaskets now leak pretty badly. They shouldn’t be too hard to replace, but I felt compelled to downgrade my initial review by 1-star.

View PCM's profile

PCM

#1 posted 05-30-2011 02:59 PM

what is the price range?

#2 posted 05-30-2011 03:02 PM

An excellent question…I updated the review to include the price…it was $96 to my door.

View nailbanger2's profile

nailbanger2

#3 posted 05-30-2011 03:15 PM

Thanks for the review, Scott. I already have a 4000 psi PC, so I won’t be buying this one, but that is a great price. I used an electric one once, and I had a hard time telling if it was on!

I just find it a little disconcerting having all that water around a live wire. What are your feelings on the safety issue?

-- Wish I were Norm's Nephew

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#4 posted 05-30-2011 03:57 PM

I’ve got this unit, and I agree completely. I use it to wash WOODEN decks, and it excels. I think a paid close to $150 for mine, though.

#5 posted 05-30-2011 06:20 PM

The electrical concerns entered my mind too, but I’d assume that they’ve covered their butts on that issue….otherwise the lawsuits could be ruin them in a hurry..

#6 posted 06-01-2011 02:21 AM

Cheer up deke! If that’s the worst thing you face today, it’s a great day! ;-)