One of the Best books I have read on Wood Finishing

Review by Ken90712 posted 1150 days ago 3903 views 9 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One of the Best books I have read on Wood Finishing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While I try to grow, and become a more experienced finisher I have ran into some roadblocks along the way. Like most of us have, I’m sure. A few Lumberjocks recommended this book by Bob Flexner. I must say I will always keep this book close. Another fellow LJ posted the words below as well and I agreed so I used his review as well. Thx, Jeff. Most everyone would benefit from this book.

While this is not a tool, this book has earned its spot as one of my most useful assets in my shop. After posting numerous threads that requested help from the more experienced Jocks, I was told that Flexner’s book was the “Bible” of finishing. While I laughed at that, it turned out to be the case. In the last several months since the purchase, I have yet to have a finishing question that wasn’t explained in detail within the pages. My favorite feature is the individual chapters dedicated to many common species. Flexner offers many finishing strategies for each and explains the pro’s and con’s of each. A must buy item if you are as scared of finishing as I am.

Enjoy!

View GMman's profile

GMman

I have somewhat the same Book from Bob Flexner.

The Master Woodworkers finishing secrets is from H. Behlen & Bro Amsterdam NY

View patron's profile

patron

12953 posts in 1936 days

thanks ken
just favorited it

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

I’ve seen comments on that book several times… in browsing around, it looks like
Amazon has the best deal on it.

It has gotten very good reviews too!

Right now, I’m not sure if I already have it or NOT! That’s what happens when you get older… :)

Your welcome guys! Joe I do the same thing in forgetting stuff. I looked all over for where I put my tape measure this morning. You might want to ck this site.
Sale for $18.71

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

thanks for the tip Ken, will have to look this one up…have a great week-end…Wilson

View Skylark53's profile

Skylark53

Thanks Ken. Now this one is number one on my “must have” list.

-- Rick, Tennessee, John 3:16

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Got it, read it, was terrified by it. Finsihing is one of those things that I simply lack confidence in, no matter how read. Some of us are just born to lose:)

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

I saw, at Amazon, that they have others to buy New & Used from… I checked it out…
I got it for $21.90 + 3.99 or $25.89… saving $1.00 over highland…

I was surprised…

View mafe's profile

mafe

Thank you Ken.
Will keep this on in mind.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

I was told that Bob Flexner has recently retired. I wish he updated on some things since recent years. There are many things he didnt mention.

-- shdesign3.com

View Roger's profile

appreciate the info Ken. thnx

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View ChuckV's profile (online now)

ChuckV

Ken,

Thank you for the review. This looks like what I might need.

I just requested it through our library network. If other people have this option, it is a great way to preview a book and decide if you would really want to purchase it.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View thelt's profile

thelt

616 posts in 1975 days

I’m right in there with you guys, 3fingerpat. Finishing scares the hell out of me. Consequently, I don’t do very good at finishing. I need to learn how to use the HVLP system I have. I love that it don’t use compressed air, but that’s another piece of equipment I haven’t been able to master yet.

-- When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."

View cornflake's profile

cornflake

i bought this book years ago and it is my go to book for finishing

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

I ordered my (used) copy about a week ago, for about three bucks, from AbeBooks.com.

-- -- Neil