One of the Best books I have read on Wood Finishing

Review by Ken90712 posted 05-29-2011 06:56 PM 4559 views 9 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One of the Best books I have read on Wood Finishing No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

While I try to grow, and become a more experienced finisher I have ran into some roadblocks along the way. Like most of us have, I’m sure. A few Lumberjocks recommended this book by Bob Flexner. I must say I will always keep this book close. Another fellow LJ posted the words below as well and I agreed so I used his review as well. Thx, Jeff. Most everyone would benefit from this book.

While this is not a tool, this book has earned its spot as one of my most useful assets in my shop. After posting numerous threads that requested help from the more experienced Jocks, I was told that Flexner’s book was the “Bible” of finishing. While I laughed at that, it turned out to be the case. In the last several months since the purchase, I have yet to have a finishing question that wasn’t explained in detail within the pages. My favorite feature is the individual chapters dedicated to many common species. Flexner offers many finishing strategies for each and explains the pro’s and con’s of each. A must buy item if you are as scared of finishing as I am.

Enjoy!

15138 posts in 1906 days

View GMman's profile

GMman

#1 posted 05-29-2011 07:11 PM

I have somewhat the same Book from Bob Flexner.

The Master Woodworkers finishing secrets is from H. Behlen & Bro Amsterdam NY

View patron's profile (online now)

patron

13140 posts in 2058 days

#2 posted 05-29-2011 07:13 PM

thanks ken
just favorited it

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#3 posted 05-29-2011 07:57 PM

I’ve seen comments on that book several times… in browsing around, it looks like
Amazon has the best deal on it.

It has gotten very good reviews too!

Right now, I’m not sure if I already have it or NOT! That’s what happens when you get older… :)

15138 posts in 1906 days

#4 posted 05-29-2011 09:41 PM

Your welcome guys! Joe I do the same thing in forgetting stuff. I looked all over for where I put my tape measure this morning. You might want to ck this site.
Sale for $18.71

View blackcherry's profile

blackcherry

#5 posted 05-29-2011 09:53 PM

thanks for the tip Ken, will have to look this one up…have a great week-end…Wilson

View Skylark53's profile

Skylark53

#6 posted 05-29-2011 10:29 PM

Thanks Ken. Now this one is number one on my “must have” list.

-- Rick, Tennessee, John 3:16

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#7 posted 05-29-2011 10:31 PM

Got it, read it, was terrified by it. Finsihing is one of those things that I simply lack confidence in, no matter how read. Some of us are just born to lose:)

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#8 posted 05-29-2011 10:55 PM

I saw, at Amazon, that they have others to buy New & Used from… I checked it out…
I got it for $21.90 + 3.99 or $25.89… saving $1.00 over highland…

I was surprised…

View mafe's profile

mafe

#9 posted 05-30-2011 12:43 AM

Thank you Ken.
Will keep this on in mind.
Best thoughts,
Mads

View Steven H's profile

Steven H

#10 posted 05-30-2011 01:47 AM

I was told that Bob Flexner has recently retired. I wish he updated on some things since recent years. There are many things he didnt mention.

View Roger's profile

#11 posted 05-30-2011 02:32 PM

appreciate the info Ken. thnx

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Kentuk55@bellsouth.net

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

#12 posted 05-30-2011 02:49 PM

Ken,

Thank you for the review. This looks like what I might need.

I just requested it through our library network. If other people have this option, it is a great way to preview a book and decide if you would really want to purchase it.

-- “While the world with closed eyes sleeps, The sky knows and weeps - steel rain. ” ― Nathan Bell

View thelt's profile

thelt

632 posts in 2097 days

#13 posted 05-30-2011 02:53 PM

I’m right in there with you guys, 3fingerpat. Finishing scares the hell out of me. Consequently, I don’t do very good at finishing. I need to learn how to use the HVLP system I have. I love that it don’t use compressed air, but that’s another piece of equipment I haven’t been able to master yet.

-- When asked what I did to make life worthwhile in my lifetime....I can respond with a great deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served a career in the United States Navy."

View cornflake's profile

cornflake

#14 posted 05-30-2011 02:58 PM

i bought this book years ago and it is my go to book for finishing

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#15 posted 05-30-2011 03:45 PM

I ordered my (used) copy about a week ago, for about three bucks, from AbeBooks.com.

-- -- Neil