Grizzly G0715P newbies point of view.

Review by gillyd posted 1180 days ago 11035 views 2 times favorited 39 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0715P newbies point of view. Grizzly G0715P newbies point of view. Grizzly G0715P newbies point of view. Click the pictures to enlarge them

First off, I’d like to say a few things to give you a bit of context around my review.

This is the first table saw I have ever owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have been using it now for 4 months, I meant to write a review right away, but I am glad that I waited as my feelings for the saw have changed a bit.

Now on to the review.

Price: $859

Assembly Time: 5 hours.

Delivery

Pro’s

• Driver was pleasant to talk to, he even helped me get it setup in my garage, as opposed to leaving it on the curb as I have heard some do.

Con’s

• Package was damaged, and while the driver was unloading the pallet he actually tipped the package over a bit onto another crate. I wasn’t happy about that, but it didn’t appear anything was broken.

Packaging

Pro’s

• Came in a few boxes. The fence came in a package all by itself, the saw came as one package, and then the manuals, etc came in another. The saw was wrapped well by shrink wrap.

Con’s

• Since as you can probably notice some of the packages were broken, or damaged upon delivery. In fact some of the washers and bolts were missing. One quick call to Grizzly and they shipped the replacements overnight, they were very good to deal with on the phone.

Assembly

Pro’s

• For someone who has never owned a table saw before, I wanted to make sure I did this right. The manual that came with the saw is excellent! Not only is there information about how to assemble the saw, but there are hints and techniques for each cut, etc. In the day and age of printing small manuals, Grizzly sure has done it right by going old school and sacrificing a small tree to get you the information you need.
  • The manual is online in PDF format! I like having the digital copies available when ever you need it. Its interesting that they printed such a large manual, and then they offer it online as well. Ha!

Con’s

• I had to shim the table extensions as they were off by a bit. Doing this by myself wasn’t too bad, but it was time consuming. Make sure you have a soft hammer ready when doing this. In fact, the woodwhisperer shows you how to do it in one of his podcasts if you are curious.
  • Even though the dial said 0 degrees for the blade (which is suppose to be perfectly square to the table), it was off by a bit, so I had to adjust it and then use my square to check it.
  • The fence is not as easy to square up as I had hoped. I am even battling this still to this day.

Fit and Finish/Thoughts

• Runs nice and quiet.
  • Riving knife is very easy to install and adjust. Make sure you adjust it, as mine was off by quite a bit when it arrived.
  • 2 HP seems to be plenty of power, I am very glad I got the 220 installed for this saw.
  • Grizzly customer service was great when sending the missing parts!
  • Nice dust collection within the cabinet.
  • One piece fence/rails.

Con’s

• Fence isn’t what I had hoped it would be. I know its probably a step up from some fences, but I am still mildly disappointed with it, and I am even considering buying a nice Beisesemeyer instead.
  • Mitre gauge isn’t good. In fact I went out and got an INCRA mitre gauge instead.
  • Not sure I like where the on/off switch is. I keep knocking the big red off switch onto the floor with my leg when I walk around it.

—————————————-

Conclusion

4 Stars. I may have given this saw 5 stars, as for the money I am not sure this saw can be beat. Its going to be extremely hard for anything to get a perfect score from me in my reviews. The fence is what is holding this saw back, its just so hard to align to the blade that its causing some frustration for me. Make sure you get a good push stick too, or make your own, as the one they send isn’t something I would recommend. I was also disappointed by the fact that I had to shim both table extensions, that took a lot of time. Overall I am pleased with the saw, I do wish I had something to compare it to.

UPDATE: See my post below, 3 stars.

112010 posts in 2202 days

Gilly
Thanks for the review. I’m a Grizzly tool fan and have had good luck with the 6 or so pieces of equipment I have.
I think many of your Con’s are pretty much what’s necessary for most new saws set up. I have never owned a Grizzly table saw so I can’t say anything about the fence ,but that is a critical part of a table saw. Like all tools no matter the brand there are good ones that come out of factory’s and lemons but a good customer service should help cure any problems that might get by their quality control department . Thanks for a well written review particularly for someone who had never owned a table saw before.

gillyd

Bad news, after reading http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/2090 by Alpiner I decided to check my mitre slot to my blade at other elevations, since I have always set it up at full height. It appears that as I move the blade down, the back side of the blade starts to run out when testing it against the mitre slot. In fact as I drop it down to 1 inch above the table, there is nearly a 1/16th of an inch run out on the back of the blade to the mitre slot. The interesting thing is the front of the blade doesn’t change at all, it stays pretty much dead on at all elevations.

How concerned should I be? Any ideas on how I should fix this?

I am dropping the review score to 2 stars until I can fix this.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

Hey Gilly, I’m no engineer, just a former recovering ASE Certified Auto Tech, and woodworker. I like to fix my own issues on my possessions after watching what some “techs” work on customer’s vehicle. After reading both your and Alpiner’s, I would look at the torque on nut#103 in the parts diagram. I have a few Grizzly machines, and incorrect torque on fasteners is a issue. I had a set screw loose on my joiner, and it came out and kept the pulley from turning on the cutterhead, after the keyway flew out!! I would check that nut, and the pivot pin since you are having problems with runout at different elevations. Just my opinion.

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

gillyd

Matt, I checked the nut, and you are right as you loosen that nut the problem gets worse, so I tightened it as far as it would go, then I backed it off a quarter turn. Now I am back at square one with the same issue. Thanks so much for the ideas, I want to see if I can fix this without having to work with Grizzly.

What is the pivot pin you are talking about? I am not using the mitre gauge, and that was the only pivot pin I could find in the parts list.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Matt, do you have a foot-pound/newton(?) recommendation for that bolt? This is a popular machine here and I bet it could help a lot of folks out:)

View Lorraine's profile

Lorraine

This site is awsome and the timing wouldn’t be better. I am considering the Grizzly hybrid tablesaw but I am now rethinking my thoughts. One of my reasons for upgrading from my contractors tablesaw to a hybrid was for a better fence. Looks like the Grizzly may not be the answer.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

Miter fences that come with table saws are exactly like the blades that come on bandsaws. You can use them but they aren’t worth a damn.

Good choice in the Incra!

I personally like the power switch where I can hit it with my leg. You get used to it after a while and it really comes in handy when things happen that you need two hands for and need to turn off the saw!

112010 posts in 2202 days

No matter what brand of saw you buy you my need to make these adjustments this is not anything new or really that unusual. The fact you you have these adjustment is annoying but doable . If It’s a real defect then that’s a real problem, again almost all brands have saws that have defects or need to be tuned before you use them. I’ve bought a high end band saw that came with a number of problems some I’m still working on and it had great reviews before I bought it.

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

Gary hit it on the head. I like the shop fox fence that came with my 1023SL which is almost like a biesmeyer clone.

I also agree with Jim here that a few of those things are pretty common on table saws. If you get one right out of the box that is perfect on all aspects then count yourself lucky. Myself, personally I am extremely picky and will try to get it as close to perfect as I can when setting the machines up. It took me about 30 minutes to fix my rip fence to where it’s got a 0.001 – 0.002 runout. It came with a 0.008 – 0.009 from the factory, but that wasn’t good enough for me.

Honestly, if the box was damanged I’m not sure I would have accepted it to begin with, but you should have noted on the packing slip what was damanged so it’s covered by Grizzly.

I own a few grizzly machines and a few other major brands. If you want to get precise you’ll find you need to fine tune the adjustements on most machines.

-- Williamsburg, KY

gillyd

Lorraine, don’t let my review discourage you from seriously considering the saw. I have no doubt that I will either be able to correct this myself, or Grizzly will help me fix it by either suggesting a fix or sending a new saw. Its a good saw, and like others had said, every saw has to be calibrated.

I wouldn’t be as concerned with this problem if it was happening at all elevations, but the fact that it only happens when I lower the blade concerns me, and add to the fact that it only happens to the back of the blade to a large degree makes me think it might be a production issue.

I believe this is why I was so frustrated with the fence, because I was calibrating it against the blade at full height, then I would lower the blade to the height I would cut the wood and all of a sudden I am 1/16th variance.

I am holding out hope that I can figure out a fix!

View Chipy's profile

Chipy

I have to echo A1Jim point even Powermatic or Jet may have some tweeks that need to be address before regular operation.But if the fence is junk it is junk.As much as I would love to buy PM66 or a Jet it is not in my budget.You will still get years of service from a Grizzly or Shop fox.

View Kevin's profile

Kevin

Hopefully you can get it fixed with minimal effort gillyd. Once you do you will get many years out of it, just do regular maintenance on it.

-- Williamsburg, KY

View zfrme66's profile

zfrme66

Hi Gilly,
Please don’t think that a Biesmeyer fence will be the answer for a great fence.I updated to a Bies a few years ago and although it’s rugged and can be squared easily,the sides of the fence are not at all flat.Flatness deviates to almost .010 in one spot.I called the company and All I got foe an answer was” Well I can send you another one,but it won’t be any better”. I was astonished and very ticked off. I never heard of having to shim a $400 fence??
Bob

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

848 posts in 1919 days

I fully agree with the blades that come with any new saw and that the “basic” fence usually insn’t the best.

What I don’t agree with is the suggestion that the blade changing angle to the miter slot as it is raised and lowered is common on new saw. Please don’t try to tell me that is considered normal on a new saw to always recalibrate it when raising the blade. My 20 year old emerson doesn’t have this problem.

If that 1/16” was toward the fence, then the chance of kickback goes up significantly.

Steve.

View Chuck Anstrom's profile

Chuck Anstrom

Excellent review and subsequent discussion.

-- Chuck Anstrom - Virginia