Loctite doesn't answer inquires

Review by SailorJim posted 05-26-2011 09:16 AM 3742 views 0 times favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Loctite doesn't answer inquires No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This product burned through my tub surround. I wasn’t too happy about the ugly brown stain, but thought I might have done something wrong. I sent Loctite an inquiry using their web-site contact form and they did not reply, so I sent them the following inquiry one week later:

”Last week I sent you a note using this “contact” form and you didn’t have the courtesy to reply. The following is a repeat of my question.” “I’m not too happy with your “Power Grab” for tub surrounds. I used it re-glue two small areas that hadn’t been glued properly when the tub surround was installed the year before. I chose to use this product because it was guaranteed not to burn through. At first I was very pleased with the results. It actually took several months before a brown stain appeared at the two places where I had applied the “Power Grab” for tub surrounds. I’d like an explanation.”

I’ll never again use any product made by Loctite. Power Grab for Tub Surrounds did “burn through”, even though it’s guaranteed not to. That’s bad enough, but what really makes me mad is that they didn’t take the time to try to give me a reason or maybe an explanation as to what I might have done wrong.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#1 posted 05-26-2011 02:50 PM

Nice entry into this website.

:rolleyes:

Do any woodworking, or … just a pissed-off guy on a rampage ?

-- -- Neil

#2 posted 05-26-2011 03:49 PM

I’ll loan you some woodworking, Jim!

The only Loctite product I can remember using is the screwtight stuff. If I had a dollar for everytime a company just straight-up ignored me, I’d be rich.

View rwyoung's profile

rwyoung

#3 posted 05-26-2011 03:54 PM

800-624-7767

Never had a problem getting technical questions asked about their products. However my use of their product line has been limited to the thread lockers and calling to ask very specific questions about suitability in extreme cold (-80F).

-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

#4 posted 05-26-2011 03:55 PM

RW, I just caught your signature and laughed out loud.

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

#5 posted 05-26-2011 04:08 PM

I think one’s first and only post being a shot at a company is a bit over the top.
I too am rolling Neil’s eyes!

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View ClayandNancy's profile

ClayandNancy

#6 posted 05-26-2011 04:44 PM

I’m with you ellen and neil, how bought a “Hello how you doing?” first.

#7 posted 05-26-2011 06:14 PM

“Hello, how ya doin’?” Thanks for all the cool welcome notes and thanks for the criticism too. Yeah, I’m a bit pissed off off with Loctite and their lack of customer service. I’ve been trying to get an answer for over a month. Like I noted, I’ve written to them twice. I even called their 800 number before I wrote to them. The 800 number menu has several options. I don’t remember exactly what all the options were but some were for “professionals” and “retailers” and others were for “ordinary users” of specific products. I’m just a guy with a product question so I pressed the number for specific product questions. As I recall, the message I got was something like, “All our techs are busy now. Leave a detailed message and we’ll get back to you.” I’m in and out a lot and IF they did try to get back to me, they didn’t leave a message. Maybe I should have pressed the number for professionals. All I know is answering my written question should have been easier than a phone question. I tried calling again this morning and I’ll be around all day cause it’s raining, so maybe I’ll hear back.

As for lumberjocks. I was looking to see if anyone else had a problem with Power Grab and saw a review titled “Power Grab sucks” on lumber jocks site. I read it and wanted to leave a short reply. Of course, you have to be a member to leave a reply, so writing a review about my experience was just as easy as leaving a reply. Lumberjocks is a very cool site and finding it might be the only good thing to come out of my fiasco with Loctite. This picture shows the burned area. It’s a very small area and the brown stain is very light. Anyone else have a similar problem with Power Grab? Still awaiting Loctite call.

#8 posted 05-26-2011 06:21 PM

Welcome to Lumberjocks, Sailor. I hope you get your issue worked out. Start mashing phone keys, that’s what I usually do:)

#9 posted 05-26-2011 06:37 PM

Thanks, Bertha and you too Al!! By the way …. beautiful humidors!!

#10 posted 05-26-2011 06:52 PM

Why thank you, Sailor! I haven’t made one in a while but they’re still going strong (when I remember to water them):)

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#11 posted 05-26-2011 07:09 PM

Sailor:

There’s a forum that I’ve been away from for a while, but … one of ITS members IS some sort of product rep FOR Loctite.

My suggestion:

Google this…..

dirty sanchez site:advrider.com

And then … join THAT site, and send HIM a private message, asking for his help. He wouldn’t know me, so … no point in using my name.

Also … I genuinely (no offense meant) don’t understand the state of mind that has you join a forum JUST to complain about a product that—in truth—really ISN’T related TO the purpose OF the forum.

Meaning …. if you’re angry … try to cool off before you reach out to this guy, or anybody else.

When companies hear anger, from a customer, they immediately assume you’re unreasonable.

And … in MY experience … that’s usually a good assumption ;-)

Good luck !

-- -- Neil

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

#12 posted 05-26-2011 08:02 PM

Neil, I agree, very bad form on Sailor Jim’s part.

Sailor Jim this is a woodworking site not a home remodeling site. Your product is not for woodworking. You may want to try our sister site HomeRefurbers. There is a link at the top of this site. It is the guy wearing overalls. You may have more luck there.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

View patcollins's profile

patcollins

#13 posted 05-26-2011 11:18 PM

You may not want to google “Dirty Sanchez” especially from work.

#14 posted 05-26-2011 11:21 PM

Hello all. This is my last post … I promise.:) Received a call back from a Loctite tech rep and he gave me the answer I was looking for (last paragraph). But I get it. I am a coverall type guy, but occasionally I lay my remolding chain saw down and attempt some fine woodwork. I’ll never achieve the same level of perfection that most of you have achieved. Mainly cause I don’t have the time. Maybe lumberjocks should have a disclaimer on the application form – “If you love working with wood and you’re proud of your accomplishment, but you’re more comfortable working with a radial arm saw than a jig saw, the coverall linc above is where you belong.” I also removed my profile. Too embarrassing. LOL eyes rolling with a big smile on my face :)

From conversation with Loctite tech rep: The industry is switching to water based adhesives (all adhesives). This is because of odor and safety concerns associated with solvent based adhesives. Power Grab is a water based adhesive. According to the tech rep they’ve had complaints about tub surround burn through resulting in staining. It always seems to happen after someone has re-glued part of the tub surround, even if it was a resent installation. Water based adhesive reacts with cured solvent based adhesive and causes staining. I figured it was something like that, but it’s hard to believe a warning isn’t on the label. The rep agreed that a warning should be on the label. The rep was polite, informative, and apologetic concerning the lack of response to my inquiries. So ….. if you ever slip into the old coveralls because you need to re-glue the tub surround, remember this conversation. Gotta get back to work. House work that is …. like in dusting, mopping, and fixing something for dinner.

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#15 posted 05-27-2011 02:45 AM

Wonders why the sister site “Home Refurbers” was not used, in reference to a problem with bathtub caulk. They sure could use the traffic!