Skil 91024 24-Piece Carbide Router Bit Set

Review by BentheViking posted 05-24-2011 03:53 AM 5863 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Skil 91024 24-Piece Carbide Router Bit Set No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

So I just got these off of Amazon. I know that they are not the highest quality set, but they were better than what I had (nothing). I have used Skil bits before and while they certainly not the best, they have always gotten the job done for me. Again for the price (less than $45) it was hard to say no.

Mostly I wanted to make this post because when trying to research this set I could not find anything anywhere regarding what is included in this set and I figured now that I have it in my hands I may as well inform anyone else who may be considering purchasing this set.

Straight—1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2” and 3/4”
Hinge Mortising—1/2”
Panel Pilot—1/4”
Corebox—1/4”, 1/2”
Dovetail—3/8”, 1/2”
Laminate Trim—1/2”
Roundover—1/8”, 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2”
Cove—1/4” 3/8”
Roman Ogee—5/32”
Chamfer—45 deg
Half Round/Bead—3/16”

Box that they all came in isn’t the best, but lets be honest that isn’t why you buy the set. You buy it to have a variety of bits for not a lot of money. We’ll see how they work once I get some dust flying.

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

View BentheViking's profile

View RobertT's profile

#1 posted 05-24-2011 04:04 AM

I bought that set a couple years ago with the idea I would replace the individual bits with better quality ones as they wore out. Havent replaced one yet.

View BentheViking's profile

#2 posted 05-24-2011 04:09 AM

good to know…the other set i used (the 30 piece skil set) worked well for as long as I was in that shop (6 months) and the only issues we ever had was when some of the cutting blades broke when they were carelessly dropped on the floor, but i’d expect that out of any bit

-- It's made of wood. Real sturdy.--Chubbs Peterson

#3 posted 05-24-2011 04:39 AM

I have the 30pc set that I got when I had a 1/4” shank router. They worked fine enough for what I was doing then. I think the 4 star rating is very generous… I would have given them 2 or 3 stars. Like I said, they work, not great, but they work… These don’t hold a candle to MLCS, Rockler, etc…

-- My workshop blog can be found at

View NiteWalker's profile

#4 posted 05-24-2011 02:45 PM

I concur with what Robert said.
A long while back I bought a Ryobi 40 piece set. Over time, I’ve replaced frequently used bits with whitesides. I still have a lot of left over bits from the set though. Some are unused, many are used but still going strong.

A set is a good way to test the waters, especially an inexpensive set.

-- He who dies with the most tools... dies with the emptiest wallet.

View DamnYankee's profile

#5 posted 05-24-2011 07:57 PM

A long time ago it was suggested to me when I first started using my router to buy such a set knowing they were not “the best qualty” but as I used them I would discover which bits I used the most and replace those with better bits.. I have done so. And as suggested by someone else, those replaced are the most basic of bits…straight bit, ogee, campher, round over and flush trim.

-- Shameless - Winner of two Stumpy Nubs Awards

View Howie's profile

2656 posts in 2014 days

#6 posted 05-25-2011 01:40 AM

I’ve had the 30 piece set for 4-5 years and for the most part it has been satisfactory. I have no complaints about it. Granted I buy mostly from MLCS now (excellent service) but once in a while I run into something that one of those bits come in handy.

-- Life is good.

View Chipy's profile

#7 posted 05-25-2011 02:03 PM

I am trying a different rout.I bought the 60 pcs set from set should have every bit I should ever need. The bits are fairly robust and all 1/2” shank witch I think is particularly important when it comes to absorbing heat and more important vibration.Don’t get me wrong I may be barking up the wrong tree but I am sick of buying a new bit every time I build a new project.The set was just under $200 witch may be a lot but at $30 each time I buy a new bit for a new project i have to stop the bleeding some ware. I will let you know if my strategy pays off.

View knotscott's profile

#8 posted 05-27-2011 10:14 PM

I would suggest getting 1/2” shank bits whenever possible, providing your router accepts 1/2” shanks. offers an excellent alternative at $39.95 with free shipping for their 15 pc set of the most commonly used profiles…it’s available in 1/2” and 1/4” shank. They’re not quite premium bits like Whiteside or Infinity, but are very respectable for the price.