Top class little lathe.

Review by murch posted 05-23-2011 08:51 PM 7954 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Top class little lathe. Top class little lathe. Top class little lathe. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this little honey about 2 mts ago and have gotten very fond of it in the mean time. It has taken
some hard abuse from my awkward, inexperienced hands but we are still friends and I am certain that I have gotten very good value for money.
I was impressed right from the off with the weight of it and the general sturdy construction. It has 5 speeds that are easy to change (650 – 3000rpm) and it will turn a 10in o/d which is more than a few of them in the same price-range.
17.5in is approx what it will manage between centres, which seems about standard.
It has a 1/2hp motor and came complete with a face-plate, live centre, driver and a spanner.
It cost about E230 to buy it and have it shipped from England to my front door.

In conclusion, I think this is a perfect starter lathe that could also find favour with more professional turners.
Ask ‘em if ya got ‘em.

Best regards,
Murch.

-- A family man has photos in his wallet where his money used to be.

View murch's profile

I don’t know, Murch. It seems awful close to the floor. LOL

Nice lathe.

Lee

#2 posted 05-23-2011 09:11 PM

Must be for turning while relaxing on the floor watching The New Yankee Workshop or something…

Just kidding. Nice lathe. How much does something like that run?

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoa-AgyeFWqnQfGIJwdzkog

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#3 posted 05-23-2011 10:57 PM

thank´s for the rewiew Murch :-)
where did you buy it … just in case :-) still have a dream about making one in wood :-)
is the beam made of cast iron ?

Dennis

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#4 posted 05-23-2011 11:04 PM

Laughing hard with Lee. I’ve never used this brand but I know Mads does, which makes me suspect that it is of very high quality.

View murch's profile

murch

#5 posted 05-24-2011 08:21 AM

Thanks for the laugh Lee. It does look a bit daft, now that you mention it. My bench is outdoors and it was spilling rain at the time.

Dennis – DIYTOOLS in the U.K. They are on the net. All cast -iron.

-- A family man has photos in his wallet where his money used to be.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#7 posted 05-25-2011 02:58 PM

Very nice Murch.
I hope you get many pleasurable years from it.

-- Eric, central Florida / Utor praemia operibus duris

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#8 posted 05-25-2011 03:30 PM

It looks pretty good to me. Do they sell it in the states?

View Dillon C.'s profile

Dillon C.

4 posts in 2055 days

#9 posted 01-06-2012 01:17 AM

I found them on a British wood working site for 209.99 pounds, or 325.32 USD. Here is the link: http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-dmt450-445mm-wood-lathe-240v/936

It’s a German company that seems very reputable, and it seems like a good value.

-- Duct Tape is like the Force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the world together...