G0458 Drum Sander An Exceptional Machine

Review by Bob Kollman posted 05-22-2011 06:31 AM 8476 views 1 time favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
G0458 Drum Sander An Exceptional Machine G0458 Drum Sander An Exceptional Machine No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this drum sander about a month ago. In that time I have sanded about 200 board feet of wood.
This is the first and only drum sander I have ever used, so some of you more experienced users may be
able to help me. The jet 16-32 and 22-44 seem to be the most popular drum sanders. I choose the
Grizzly because of it’s differences.

1) It is heavier, which equals rigidity.
2) It gave me 4” more of sanding surface compared to the 16-32.
3) The drum is stationary.

The Jet 22-44 has an oscillating head and my understanding is that really makes a difference in the finished
product, but for me the additional cost is prohibitive at this time.

As a test for the Grizzly 0458, I sanded 60 board foot of lumber. I had a mix of hard wood and soft wood.
I had about 18 board foot of pine and about 42 foot of hard wood Cherry, and oak. I left .03 thousands of
stock on each board….015 stock removal per side. With a new 120 grit belt I started by sanding 12” wide
boards about 26 board feet. I then sanded another 16 BF of Cherry and oak about 6” wide.

The skid mark on the right appeared toward the end of doing the one foot stock. So after the first 26 BF
I was unable to use the 4” width at the right of the drum sander. When I was at the end of the 42 BF
the other burn mark at the left appeared. So after 42 board feet, at .03 thousands of stock removal I
had two substantial burn lines. The last 18 BF of pine I was able to sand with no damage to the belt.

Many reviewers of drum sanders complain that there machines are to slow. I sanded 4 boards at 4 foot
length, and 18 boards at two foot in length in 1 hour and 15 minutes. This was with a total stock removal
of .03 thousands. I thought that was really fast.

The sander did leave lines in my stock, this is illustrated best with the pine boards:

I will use my hand sander with a 180 grit to remove the lines. The drum sander brought my material
down to plus-minus .005 thickness variation. It does an incredible job at making the wood flat and parallel.

The Grizzly G0458 collects a large amount of dust. I thought the side discharge with the impeller would be
great for dust collection. Unfortunately, I think they should have put the discharge shout at the top of the machine.
As you can see a lot of dust collects over the drum, in turn that dust falls on the conveyor and it could drop
debris on top of the wood between the stock and the drum.

Burning of the stock or sanding media seems to be the biggest issues with then drum sander. I think mostly
these problems can be avoided by having a clean work surface area….The drum and conveyor surface must
be perfect and clean as you work. I think my results could have been better had I been more diligent.

Tracking of the conveyor belt is an issue with some folks, I have found that a twist of the adjustment screw to
one side or another keeps the belt dead center on the rollers, the veers to the left or right take a long long
time – about a half hour… keep the Allen wrench out …adjust as you work…no big deal…works fine!!!!

At each time I adjusted the drum down, I ran the board Thur twice. 1st run Thur, flip 180 second run Thur.
I flipped the part right to left…not back to front. The idea behind this is that if the drum is slightly out of
parallel, you will maintain the same thickness on both sides. I also run the board Thur twice because you
can hear the machine removing material even on the 3rd or 4th pass.

One full turn of the height adjustment wheel equals .06 thousands I think (never read the instructions).
I turn the height adjustment 1/8th of a turn each time which should equal about .007, then run the board twice.
Approaching this sander with a slow pace is much faster than using a hand orbital sander.

For guys that think like me (cheap), just buy the dust collector. It is extremely important to keep the
drum and work surfaces completely clean.

Some folks don’t like this sander because they have the need for an adjustable out feed table. The conveyor
speed is slow at it’s fastest…Make an out feed table 4” lower than the conveyor. and let the boards drop,
it will work fine your boards will not be damaged by such a small drop and you can also catch the part to
minimize the impact if you want. The one advantage to this sander in my small shop is that it runs the
boards Thur over the height of my table saw and tables.

I also liked the idea that one motor runs the drum and the out feed via a reducer, one less motor to replace
in the event of a failure.

I am a happy camper, and I believe that this sander is worth your consideration.

View PCM's profile

PCM

#1 posted 05-22-2011 12:18 PM

Thanks for the thorough review.

View GuyK's profile

GuyK

#2 posted 05-22-2011 12:21 PM

Thanks for the review Bob. I have been considering a drum sander for the new farm shop. This review certainly helped. Thanks again.

-- Guy Kroll www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

#3 posted 05-22-2011 12:34 PM

Hey Bob, good review.

I have a non-oscillating Jet and have experienced the black skid marks too. A couple of things that I now do to try to avoid them is to buy paper in bulk rolls which is a lot cheaper and I don’t feel as bad throwing out some, change grits like any other sander, and use one of those rubber belt cleaners (which works really well).

This looks like a nice machine. A drum sander has changed my woodworking world. I can not say enough good things about them.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

#4 posted 05-22-2011 04:19 PM

Steve,

Yes right now I have a short supply of sand paper. I bought some 35’ rolls from woodcraft.

Industrial abbrasives sell 55 yard rolls for about $ 50.00, which I need to look into. Right

now I need a new planner blade 55.00 and 3 of my table saw blades need sharpening 30.00

and more sand paper 110.00….and on and on it goes!!!!

#5 posted 05-22-2011 04:57 PM

Nice rerview! I have been kicking around buying one of these. I use Industrial abbrasives as well. I feel they have by far the best product and prices around. I have a V drum sander and use alot of sanding discs for my orbital and they last longer than any other paper I have used.

Thx for the review!

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5101 posts in 1963 days

#6 posted 05-22-2011 05:13 PM

A drum sander will definnitely spoil you. I also agree that Industrial Abrasives has great deals on sandpaper…I buy the large rolls and find it to be the most economical. Some woods will put burn marks on your sand paper much quicker than others. I find that bloodwood and cocobolo are especially notorious fore burning paper. Don’t even try sanding old sinker cypress…a disaster.
As Steve said…get a rubber belt cleaner and use it often…worth its weight in gold.

#7 posted 05-22-2011 05:51 PM

-- CJIII Future cabinetmaker

View Jahness's profile

Jahness

#9 posted 05-22-2011 09:31 PM

Hi Bob, I have the Delta 18-36 and I get that marking mostly with Pine because of the sap. Like said above, keep a belt eraser next to the machine and it’ll help alot. The dust port on my Delta is on top and I would have to say that it is the best location they could have chosen. The only thing I don’t like is since the drum stays stationary, every time you make an adjustment you have to re-adjust the infeed and outfeed supports.

-- John

#10 posted 05-23-2011 01:47 AM

Thank you so much for the thorough review. One of the machines I would like to add to my shop is a drum sander. The dust collection on this one gives me a good deal of pause, but there are a good number of other features that make me like this machine (like you mentioned, mass helps, a LOT…)

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#11 posted 05-23-2011 02:04 AM

Very good, Bob!

I’m HAPPY for you!

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

#12 posted 05-23-2011 06:31 PM

Thanks for a great, detailed review. I really like that about this site. This goes much further in my decision making than all the ads in the media.. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View jm82435's profile

jm82435

#13 posted 05-23-2011 07:42 PM

Thanks for the review, it is interesting to learn about the differences in tool designs.

I have a Delta 18-36. It has similar issues with the feed belt tracking.

I think the point of the oscillating head is to eliminate the streaks. Like you, I also run the board through again for the “last pass” (no height adjustment just crank up the speed) on a different area of the drum to help clean up the streaks. It works pretty well. (I wouldn’t want to work without it now)

-- A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

View Dez's profile

Dez

#14 posted 05-23-2011 10:03 PM

Vonhagen has some excellent advice!
The black streaks are caused by a build up of pitch (especially pine and sometimes cherry) and it can help to use a wire brush or crepe cleaning stick occasionally between boards!
I use a 50/50 mix of Lacquer thinner and Mineral Spirits to clean the paper, allowing many more uses of each strip. A small coffee can with enough thinner to cover the strips and let the strips soak for a couple of hours.
For heavy accumulations that are black I will sometimes use a wire brush on them after the soak then a crepe rubber cleaning stick after the strips are dry and mounted on the drum.

-- Folly ever comes cloaked in opportunity!

#15 posted 05-24-2011 07:33 AM

Thanks, it’s all helpful. You know the sanders are great, but everytime you buy a new machine you also

seem to buy extras that go with the machine. I’m sure with a little more experience I can strech my

sanding belt life a little further!!!