Kudos to Grizzly for an easy Saw to set up

Review by lilredweldingrod posted 1196 days ago 3484 views 1 time favorited 53 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kudos to Grizzly for an easy Saw to set up Kudos to Grizzly for an easy Saw to set up Kudos to Grizzly for an easy Saw to set up Click the pictures to enlarge them

This review is just for unloading and assembling the Grizzly G0690 10” 3hp cabinet saw. and I will say that most of you will not need the manual at all as far as assembly is concerned. I was very impressed with the construction and workmanship of this saw and the price wasn’t bad either.
After getting the saw on the ground and in the shop, we unpacked and checked for any damages. The way they pack these things, is almost impossible to receive damage in normal handling. Everything arrived in pristine condition. and another absolutely amazing thing is that I ordered this on the 13th of May and it was in my shop on the 17th of May.
On getting the saw uncrated, we flipped it upside down to check construction. As I am confined to a wheelchair, the normal height of 35 inches with a mobile base, is a major safety issue for me. I do not like to cut wood with the possibility of a kickback catching me in the face. Been there, done that. I was looking for 29 inches, but am used to 31 on my old Ridgid saw.
This baby is built!13 gauge metal, and very nice welding. Being a welder, I always see that. lol I felt very positive and SAFE with the idea of cutting the cabinet lower for my needs. The bottom ring is a formed channel welded to the cabinet. and 1 1/2” above that is the dust chute, which give added stability to prevent racking or twisting of the cabinet. I decided to leave the top leg of the channel for that extra stiffness.
Moving on to the assembly part; I was expecting this horrible glob of at least 1/4” cosmoline from the other reviews I have read. I used paint thinner and will be able to reuse the towel many more times. That stuff came off so easy, that it is not even worth mentioning.
The wings and fence bars were a snap to install. We never had to even look at the manual for any assembly questions.We were able to cut the cabinet down 4 inches, install a mobile base and do the regular assembly in less that 4 hours. It just don’t get no better than that.
One review I read complained about the polish on the cast iron wings being much duller that the table top. NOTHING like that here. I am very impressed with the quality of this saw and the craftsmanship as well. And I looked for problems! I spent 30 years in manufacturing and repairing metal equipment and when it comes to quality control issues, I do know what to look for and there are none in my machine.
I have not even plugged mine in yet. I still have the electrical 220 plug to hook up, so this is just on the quality and assembly of the G0690.
So far I give Grizzly 8 stars for the ease of assembly

the truth

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

That’s great news, Rand.

4 hours to do what you did is really moving.

And that saw is sweet looking!

Congrats on a job well done.

Lee

lilredweldingrod

Thanks Dave and Lee. Ah shucks, twernt nuthin. blush…Seriously, the magnetic bars really make the difference. Cutting the bottom was maybe 30-45 min. Very simple job and we even had a built in guide. lol The killer would have been trying to start the bolts and hold the heavy iron wings and then align everything. With the mags, we just set it up, aligned them and tightened them up.
I’m sure there are magnetic bars out there in the tool shops. I’ve had mine for twenty years now. I got them off a Snap-on truck.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

good rewiew Thanks Rand :-)
4 hours :-) not bad at all

Dennis

View Jack Barnhill's profile

Jack Barnhill

366 posts in 1999 days

Congratulations! Sweet looking saw. Thanks for the review. It would be nice to have one of those some day.

-- Best regards, Jack -- I may not be good, but I'm slow -- www.BarnhillWoodworks.com

lilredweldingrod

Grizzly makes it very easy to get into one of these. Hey, maybe I ought to ask for a job based on this. lol

View harvey4804's profile

harvey4804

Awesome mod!!!

Hey patron, that ain’t no rail road cap. That’s a current issue USMC MARPAT (short for MARine PATtern) cover. It’s a digital camouflage pattern in use with the United States Marine Corps, introduced with the Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform (MCCUU), which replaced the Camouflage Utility Uniform. The pattern is formed by a number of small rectangular pixels of color. In theory, it is a far more effective camouflage than standard uniform patterns because it mimics the dappled textures and rough boundaries found in natural settings. This is caused by how the human eye interacts with pixelated images. It is also known as the “digital pattern” or “digi-cammies” because of its micropattern (pixels) rather than the old macropattern (big blobs).

I have a dozen of them ;)

-- Ryan, FRMR HMM165 - HMX1 01-10

Simper Fi, Harv…..

Nice saw and review!!!!

View stefang's profile

stefang

12947 posts in 1968 days

Sounds good Rand. Great review. Maybe we are on eve of a quality jump for Chinese tools, if that’s where this one comes from. If so, it shows that things are improving across the board.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

lilredweldingrod

Mike, I don’t know if this saw was manufactured on main land China or Taiwan, But Look at the Japanese right after WWII. Now look at Japan today. I know a couple of CEO’s that have been setting up plants in Taiwan and importing from there for the last 20 years. They have their own man living there from America just to have control over the quality of the products coming out of there. Maybe the same thing is going on in China.

Pres. Bush Sr. was talking about One World Government. I guess they are starting off with one world economy first.
Look at NAFTA. Everyone was afraid all the manufacturing would go to Mexico to take advantage of the cheap labor and it did, and it also gave Mexico duty free access to US highways to truck their products to Canada. Everything has gone down hill for the American worker ever since.
Just a sogn of the times we live in, I guess.

View Yupa4242's profile

Yupa4242

wow 4 hours .. I need your brain! Took nearly all day for me to crane hoist the steel cage from truck to shop let alone assemble it with no help… envy….. Grats on your Grizzly purchase!

-- "If the Universe is Infinite, Then all dreams are real."

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

Rand…

A wonderful review!

That saw is awesome!

You did a GREAT job of chopping it down to size!

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

is inflatable

and you let some

air out of it. LOL

lilredweldingrod

OH HORRORS…. Jim, you’re in a deep blue funk..Quick guys, pump some sunlight to Oregon. lol

The base may as well have been an inflatable one as easy as it was to cut down. I must admit that I was ecstatic that it wasn’t cast iron. lol