HTC Portamate HTC PBR-001 PortaMate Wood Rack

Review by David Grimes posted 1165 days ago 4042 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
HTC Portamate HTC PBR-001 PortaMate Wood Rack No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just added this to my still-going-together garage shop last week. I’m still moving in, but have already started a couple of projects. As usual, I’m left with some plywood drops that will be usable on future projects, but I needed a place to store them until that time. I had a spot that was not being used for anything else, so I ordered this wood rack.

I paid $52.64 with free shipping. It arrived fully clothed and unbeaten by Fed-ex. Installation was twelve screws for the twelve brackets, then six screws to mount the verticals to the wall.

It has a 660 lb. rating (110 ibs, per level x 6 levels) and I believe it could handle that with no problem. The brackets are 12” out from the wall. The instructions recommend 4’ to 6’ spacing between the verticals. I went with the 4’ because most of what I will store on this rack will be less than 6 feet in length. I mounted mine above a receptacle and in the middle of an almost 10 foot wall, so I can put 8’ goods on all but the top rack that lines up with other storage bins. In fact, I have already cut and painted a 48” wide by 12” 3/4” plywood shelf that I will screw into the top of this for more shelf storage space.

Very well made, looks nice (I think),sturdy,very inexpensive, easy to assemble, and very useful for my needs.

I recommend this to anyone needing 6 levels of horizontal wood storage.

View RandyMorter's profile

RandyMorter

Thanks for the review David. I could use something like that (and, I haven’t spent any money on anything for a while!). Where did you get it?

-- Randy Morter, Phoenix, AZ

2072 posts in 1241 days

Amazon.com. I just checked and it is still the same price plus free shipping. Take care.

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

Thanks for the post – when looking at the picture and seeing the comment about screwing the uprights to the wall, I realised that the old uprights and supports that I have lurking around from shelves I removed some time ago would do exactly the same job.

As I mentioned elsewhere today, I never throw anything away, but I wonder why I never thought of using these redundant parts this way before – Doh!

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

Don,

I’m a bit of a pack rat myself.

Yes, this has uprights but they are steel tubes. The “brackets” are also steel tubes that slip over the upright and slide down to a set screw that keeps them in place.

Shelving standards (the uprights) and brackets are not very similar at all. We all know that a bracket wants to come off at the worst possible time from any upward bump. This can not do that (come loose) unless the steel itself fails.

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

I take your point David, but the brackets in the system I have are quite difficult to remove, and probably impossible when loaded.
But I’ll look at the possibility of a ‘lock’ mechanism to make sure.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

View rum's profile

rum

Glad to hear its good in practice.. FYI Lee Valley has what I believe is the same unit on sale for ~$40 which is $51.00 shipped (or less if you have more stuff in the same order to spread the shipping out). I just got one in this week but haven’t had time to put it up yet (it is a bit of a slippery slope on starting an order there… sigh, just don’t look around to much :D).

View Trev_Batstone's profile

Trev_Batstone

I just bought this same rack yesterday at Lee Valley (Canada), only mine is a 5-shelf unit, but identical.. made by Port-A-Mate. $39.50 Canadian. I just finished installing it on the wall of my shop about 1/2 hour ago and it looks great. It’s time for some serious storage organization in the shop.

-- LIVE, LAUGH, CUT WOOD.

2072 posts in 1241 days

I just may add another. Truly a great value and sturdy as heck, too.