A great clamp for the price

Review by Chuck posted 1147 days ago 2395 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A great clamp for the price No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a set of these bar clamps several years ago. They were inexpensive and have worked very well. I was first introduced to them when taking a class at the CT Valley School of Woodworking. They were all still functional in the school, and I’m sure they get plenty of abuse in the school. They currently list for approximately $25/each for a 48” clamp and offer them in many lengths.

The bar clamps are made from extruded aluminum, are reasonably light and give a good amount of clamping pressure. They don’t seem to give as much pressure as a set of pipe clamps, but plenty for most applications.

-- Chuck, Preston CT, http://www.curtishome.net/

View Chuck's profile

Chuck

View Jahness's profile

Jahness

Hey Chuck, I have about a dozen of these in 3 different lengths and they are on with the exception of some of the heads are no longer square (perpendicular) to the bar. It only causes a problem when gluing up panels cause it causes the panel to bow. Other then that, they are nice and light weight and if memory serves me correctly, I picked up 13 each for 20.00 at a garage sale about 20 years ago.

John

-- John

View Don Johnson's profile

Don Johnson

I have some similar (UK ?) versions, and I was over-zealous in tightening one of them and snapped the cast-iron (?) fixed end.

Recently I got a Joint Genie (dowelling jig) for which a long track is available (but not cheap) for keeping the jig in line as multiple holes are drilled down a long board. I remembered the aluminium track from the broken clamp (I never throw anything away!), and tried that instead. With an extra washer, it worked fine.

At the price, it would be cheaper to buy a clamp instead of the ‘official’ track.

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk

The same clamps are sold at HF