Harbor Freight 3/4" Pipe Clamp with Base

Review by zindel posted 1160 days ago 4963 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Harbor Freight 3/4" Pipe Clamp with Base No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

about a week ago i needed to pick up some bar clamps to handle a larger project that I was fixing up. I started off at Ace hardware because i knew i needed the pipe and thought i would check the prices of the clamps…and wow they were $17 big ones, and for 2 of them that means $34 + $22 for the pipes…no thanks. So i pulled out the good old phone and looked on HF to see their price…$9.99 on sale plus these have a base which is a bonus if you ask me. I have used them for a few things and they do great! I did a few test to see if they would hold high pressure and i couldn’t turn them anymore and they still were strong. They also have ones without the base for the same price or 1/2” for 5.99…seems like a deal to me.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

View zindel's profile

zindel

View therookie's profile

therookie

I just bought 3 sets and put some 5 foot lengths of pipe in them so now I have three five foot clamps and couldnt be happier with them. when I get the chance I am buying more.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

I have about 4 of the ones without the base. They go on sale every now and again for about $5.00. I am wishing I had gotten the models with the bases though…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor's profile

Greg The Cajun Box Sculptor

4927 posts in 1903 days

China very happy

-- Every step of each project is considered my masterpiece because I want the finished product to reflect the quality of my work.

View Towtruck's profile

Towtruck

I’ve got 3 that I bought from Home Depot and 3 of Harbor Freight cheapies. I can’t tell any difference except for the price paid.

-- I cut it off 3 times and it's still too short!

View therookie's profile

therookie

Greg I bet china is very happy but if American made items werent so expensive like they are right now, then more and more people would be buying american made tools and various other items. I try to buy american but when is costs me an arm and a leg for the american made stuff then I get very weary on what I am paying because I am not made of money.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

View zindel's profile

zindel

Look at it this way, china got the short end of that stick…the metal bars cost more and that was made in the USA….im guessing haha

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

View Grandpa's profile

Grandpa

I have 10 sets I got before the bases were introduced. I use them all the time with no problems. I compare them to the Pony clamps I have and I think the tolerances were looser on the HF clamps. this allows the jaws to spread at an angle a little but they are still useable. I feel that I get a better job out of the Pony clamps but when I look at the price I will tell you that I will continue to use them. Ont he pipes I go to ACE and buy a full stick of pipe (21 ft.) and have it cut into 3’ stick then threaded on one end. I haven’t done that in abou t6 years but I spent about 30 dollars on all of it back then. Look at doing it that way.

View 308Gap's profile

308Gap

Is there a american made pipe claim to be bought anywhere. not boxed in usa, but actually made here?? thanx for the review.

-- Thank You Veterans!

View jeff's profile

jeff

634 posts in 2060 days

good to know when HF has something of quality…

-- Jeff,Tucson,Az.

View thiswoodshop's profile

thiswoodshop

I just got me 24 of these and they work great. Just use a square block and I’m good to go….

-- Mo... For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind. ~ "Eleanor Everet" - www.thiswoodshop.com

View Everett1's profile

Everett1

I have the ones without the feet. They work great. The only complaint i have is if you try to lay them flat on a table, the little clip thing that loosens the one end so you can move it up and down the pipe sticks out further than the red painted metal part, but can be remedied with some grooved pieces of plywood to use as stands for them.

-- Ev in Framingham, MA

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

I have several of these clamps. I have used them for three or four years. My experience is that they are fair quality and do what I need. For every 10 I have, I have had about two fail. Generally they have cracked in the casting. I am fine with that considering the discount. They are not perfect, and when you realize that, you will be happy.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do