The rasps that do what I always assumed rasps should do

Review by moshel posted 1163 days ago 4146 views 7 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
The rasps that do what I always assumed rasps should do No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

After trying almost every kind of file I can locally source here (mostly metal files, but also some Bacho and Nicolson) and being very disappointed with the results i got, I ordered these from toolsfromjapan.com.

These files are different. very different. instead of having solid steel “blade” with sharp bits punched or machined on it, they look like a lacework of razor sharp saw blades. because of the openings between the blades, they will not clog, even on the most difficult timbers (i use alot of Rimu, a native timber, that has VERY high resin content and would clog regular files in 30 seconds).

The file is double sided, one side is very coarse for fast stock removal, the other side is fine and leaves only shallow scratches that can be easily sanded.

The best thing about this file is control. you can actually shape timber the way you envision it. and quickly.

They works better on hardwood than on pine, I have no idea why.

Bottom line, these files changes the way i work. if i have to round a corner of make a curve, i find myself reaching for them and not going to the bandsaw or starting to play with the router.

they are ~25$ on toolsfromjapan.com.

View patron's profile

no see

you got me on the title
and i thought

‘what a novel idea’

something that actually does what it claims to do

i always wondered about these
but have only ever used the ‘cheese grader’ types
(which are so-so )

nice review
thanks
stay warm
stay safe

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

These and select microplanes are all I reach for. they really hog material and leave a nice surface. You are dead on the money.

View bigkev's profile

bigkev

Well, I took your word for it and ordered one. $24.37 plus only 6.37 shipping. Not a bad price methinks. I have the Nicholson 49 and 50 and they clog pretty easily. I’m looking forward to trying this one. Thanks.

-- Kevin, South Carolina

View degoose's profile

degoose

6968 posts in 1951 days

The name says it all…not really… i just love how it sounds… like Shintaro…Samurai… Sapporo…the last is a beer of course

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View CampD's profile

CampD

1191 posts in 2083 days

Been using one for years and its the only rasp I reach for…..

-- Doug...

moshel

David was keeping busy sorting the shop. only now have enough floor space to actually move around…. Larry I also like the name. “Shino saw rasps” sounds like some kind of ninja weapon.

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

There are two styles, One has a second handle and offset to use like a plane.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/

moshel

i also have the plane handle one but find is less useful. i think that a plane is more usable for planing. there are some rare situations where this is useful, but not many that i found.

View hObOmOnk's profile

hObOmOnk

Lee Valley also sells the Shinto Rasp as Japanese Saw Rasp.

Another great rasp that I like is the Iwasaki Japanese Carving Files.
Lee Valley sells this as Japanese Milled-Tooth Files.

-- 温故知新

View hObOmOnk's profile

hObOmOnk

Iwasaki File Company site.

-- 温故知新

View DaleM's profile

DaleM

897 posts in 1981 days

Thanks for the good review and to all the others who gave input. I think I need one too.

-- Dale Manning, Carthage, NY

shaping tools

Good review.

View HarveyDunn's profile

HarveyDunn

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I just ordered one of these. I plan to use it on hardwood to refine a curve cut with a jigsaw. What are the next steps for preparing for finishing? I don’t have any power sanders.

moshel

I still swear by those and its one of the more frequently used tools in my shop. as for what next, if the material is wide enough, a pass with a card scraper will clean the scratch marks. otherwise sandpaper – usually 120-180 after using the fine side. the “ridges” this file leaves sand off very quickly.