Kunz 112 scraper plane.

Review by Florida_Jim posted 1168 days ago 4568 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kunz 112 scraper plane. Kunz 112 scraper plane. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was toying with the idea of getting a scraper plane. I hate sanding. I have arthritis in my fingers, so a card scraper hurts my fingers too much after a short period.
I looked at Stanley 112’s on the”Bay”, but they’re too too pricey for me. Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley 112 versions might be in my future.
I was at my local Woodcraft store. Scrapers came up. The manager checked, and discovered he had one Kunz 112 that they’ve had for a few years. After some searching they found it in the back warehouse.
To get rid of it, they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. So it went home with me.
The plane is an ugly green with a plastic tote, and knob

It sat on my table for a few months. I just tuned up my new Wood River block plane. So while I had the sharpening stuff out, I thought I’d attack the 112.
This is not a high quality tool. The first thing I discovered was that the blade pivot assembly was loose. It’s held on with a small screw on each side of the plane.

A small screw driver adjusted the mechanism in the center, and just tight enough to allow the blade holder assy. to pivot.

I polished the back of the scraper blade, and touched up polished the bevel at 45 degrees.

I burnished a hook on the blade.

As it turned out I put too much hook at first. I tried in on some scrap hard maple. The plane worked much better with a very minimal hook, and even worked fairly well with no hook at all.

I really like the concept,
This Plane is quality challenged. It’s usable. I think there’s a Lee Valley in my future.

View Florida_Jim's profile

Florida_Jim

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I was afraid the rating was going to go in this direction as I clicked. You ought to look into the old Stanley #81, dirt cheap, and very effective. It’s got a bit of a learning curve, but I love mine.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

thank´s for the rewiew
let´s face it for the half of the price of a veritas scraperplane
I think you shuold expect that there wuold be some workover
they are pretty much the same plane as I can see
that is one of those where veritas hasn´t made a different plane
I admit Veritas´s look a lot better and have better quality
but give it a chance and I´m sure it will pay back
(no I don´t have stock or shares´in Kunz …) :-)

Dennis