A Stanley Sweetheart surprise!!

Review by poopiekat posted 05-15-2011 10:58 PM 4488 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A Stanley Sweetheart surprise!! No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Here on the prairies, good lumber and tools can be hard to get your hands on. At a local flea market today, I nabbed an absolutely beautiful, brand new Stanley Sweetheart #4 plane! Still in the box, it still had its wax paper wrapping and plastic bag. Wow! This #4 has a huge, 1/8” thick blade, and an adjustable mouth! And the sweetheart logo is the cherry on top of this great find. Incredibly, this plane was mine for $90, and in Canada the usual list price on these babies is $189-$229! Then, I snagged a set of Stanley #45 dado cutters for $20, which was a good deal for me because I’m swimming in bead and sash cutters, I mostly only use the plow cutters. That’s a story for another day. I love the cutter height adjustment above the frog, and the finish is better than any Stanley tool I’ve ever known. The Stanley #4 will get a light hone, and then I’ll give it a spin. I’m hoping this beauty performs as well as it looks. More pix: Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

View therookie's profile

therookie

#1 posted 05-15-2011 11:31 PM

nice find and what a deal.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#2 posted 05-16-2011 04:09 AM

Nice plane…looking forward to seeing the results once you have tuned it up

View SSMDad's profile

SSMDad

#3 posted 05-16-2011 04:32 AM

Great find. Congratulations!

-- Chris ~~Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 05-16-2011 11:46 AM

nice deal :-)
I like you got the ploughblades so cheap … congrats

take care
Dennis

#5 posted 05-16-2011 03:20 PM

Thanks, everyone for your kind replies! I own a lot of planes, and came to the realization today that this plane is only the second one I ever bought that was brand new. It will be an interesting journey for me to get this tool honed and adjusted. Already I’m looking askance at my menagerie now. Should this number 4 become my primary user, or should I preserve it for future gifting someday?

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#6 posted 05-16-2011 03:52 PM

Poopie, I’m terribly happy for you, especially on the plow blades. Yours is the first positive thing I’ve heard about the new SW #4. I’m anxious to hear how it performs.

View CharlieM1958's profile

CharlieM1958

#7 posted 05-16-2011 08:35 PM

The best price I could find on the web for this plane is $127 U.S with shipping. Looks like you got a great deal.

-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

#8 posted 05-16-2011 08:50 PM

Enjoy it !!

My “first” plane was a waste of money—the Buck Bros, from Home Depot. It’s not useless, but DID give me a bad impression of what hand planes were about.

My 2nd, though, was a new Stanley Sweethart #4. A few days ago, I lapped the sole plate, flattened and honed the blade, to 8000 grit.

The thing is an absolute joy to use. Feels great in my hand, well balanced, and … just skims off shavings like a hot knife through butter.

THIS … as I’ve learned … is a hand plane !!

So … you picked well, and got a great deal. Congrats !

-- -- Neil

#9 posted 05-17-2011 02:49 PM

I gotta admit there was this feeling of rapture for me, somebody who has always done the rescue thing with hand planes that I’ve scrounged and brought back to life. To hold this thing in my hand, see the workmanship and finish of a just-born plane a big WOW came over me. Beener: My highest grit is only #2000, I’ll get the #8000 as you mentioned, and see what it does. Charlie, yeah, there are prices on these that come close to what I paid, but here in Canada the shipping is always a deal-breaker. I don’t even know where I could go locally to find a Stanley on a merchant’s shelf. Yes, there’s a Lee Valley in town, and I’m like a kid in the candy store when I gaze into the Veritas showcase cabinet, but nothing Stanley there. It’ll be a week or 2 before I can spend some quality time with this plane, either some gratifying news or some sobering revelation soon to come!

View Rick Boyett's profile

Rick Boyett

#10 posted 05-23-2011 09:46 PM

Make sure you check the machining of the body along the integrated frog. Stanley had early QC issues with their planes and the poor machining caused the blades to have a skew in them. The product manager for this product said that they had corrected this issue but I haven’t seen an example with everything fixed..

Another QC issue was the paint used. It would flake off. However that too is supposedly fixed.

Beyond the QC issues, my only concern for this tool is the Aluminum cap iron. I’m not sure that part is going to be durable over the long haul.

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#11 posted 06-10-2011 06:35 AM

PK, have you had a chance to put it through it’s paces yet? About how much does it weigh?

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View Dominic's profile

Dominic

#12 posted 06-21-2011 04:58 AM

I love my Stanley Sweetheart #4. I use at as a smoother and it leave a glass-like surface with thin fluffy shavings. It’s usually the last tool to touch the wood prior to finishing. I didn’t have any quality-control issues with mine, and no durability problems with the aluminum cap iron (I’ve had this place for about 2 years, lots of usage in that time).

-- Dominic P.- Duxbury MA