Wood River V3 low angle block plane.

Review by Florida_Jim posted 05-15-2011 05:40 PM 4569 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Wood River V3 low angle block plane. Wood River V3 low angle block plane. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last Saturday I was at my local Woodcraft store. They had a 10% store wide discount. Well I was looking at their new wood River block planes. So for $80.99 plus tax, I bought the low angle version.
It is very well made. The design is based on the Stanley #65. The bed is nicely machined so the plane iron fits very well.

The plane iron is .118” thick. This gives a very nice finish. The iron on my old Stanley 60 ½ is 0nly .079”

The iron only needed a bit of polishing, and a touch up with a 8000 grit water stone, and it provided great cuts on a scrap of hard maple, both end grain, and with the grain.
I like the feel of the plane. I think it’s going to be used a lot.

View Florida_Jim's profile

Florida_Jim

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#1 posted 05-15-2011 05:46 PM

Thanks for the review. Likes like a nice little plane.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View Millo's profile

Millo

#2 posted 05-16-2011 12:44 AM

Thanks for the review, I have been wondering about this little plane. Any comparisons?

View bigike's profile

bigike

4032 posts in 1974 days

#3 posted 05-16-2011 12:51 AM

yea I really want one of these, I’ll get both whenI get the $$$$$. Thanks for the review.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View rance's profile

rance

#4 posted 05-16-2011 02:15 AM

I got one of these too about 3 months ago. Its the ONLY plane I own. Hey, I’m a power tool guy, I don’t like sweating when I do woodworking. :D

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--