Great Small In-Your-Hand Plane

Review by RickH posted 02-29-2008 11:19 PM 2874 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Small In-Your-Hand Plane Great Small In-Your-Hand Plane Great Small In-Your-Hand Plane Click the pictures to enlarge them

Owned this Veritas Apron plane for several weeks now, and like the other Veritas planes I have I found it to be extremely well made and a joy to use.

This is one of the smallest I have in their line up, with only a 1 1/4” wide low angle, bevel up blade iron. It has a 5-1/2” x 1-3/4” ductile cast iron body for durability, and their great combination blade depth and blade angle adjuster.

It is very comfortable to hold in your hand, and cuts very nicely. Ready to go right out of the box – all I did was hone the blade and went right on to some cutting. Having the high side wings, and being low angle it should work great for shooting – though on a small shooting board.

Love it!

-- Rick - OC, CA

View RickH's profile

RickH

View OttawaP's profile

OttawaP

#1 posted 03-18-2008 02:54 AM

I fully agree, this plane is never far from me when I’m in the shop. It’s just so handy.

-- Paul

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#2 posted 03-18-2008 10:51 AM

I have a similar sized one from Lie -Nielsen. It is a very useful tool.

#3 posted 03-29-2008 02:44 PM

Thanks for the review. I have had a recent epiphany of sorts with regards to hand planes and have been adding them to my set of hand tools. I will have to put one of these on my wish list as I tend to use the smaller planes as opposed to the number 8 that I recently restored.