A plane by any other name…

Review by Paul Sellers posted 05-15-2011 12:12 AM 9739 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A plane by any other name… No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve used the best of all planes from Scottish Spiers, Norris and Edward Preston to the old and not so old Marples, Stanleys and Records. Being raised with the conventional Bedrock’s and Bailey’s, I am most familiar with the styles and the idiosyncrasies surrounding them and I must say they’re my strong favourites in the smoothing plane category of the bench plane range. A new plane on the block comes under the unusual name of ‘Juuma’. It’s made in China and bears all of the signature marks of a finely crafted hand plane. I did a review on it for The Woodworker and Woodturner magazine recently and because the plane so impressed me I thought it best to let you all know what I felt about its performance.

The Juuma is fully a Bedrock pattern-plane made from stress-relieved gray cast iron. The frog is made of brass. The 3 mm thick high carbon steel cutting iron is hardened to 61 – 63 HRC and is supported by a robust and neatly made cap iron (chip breaker USA). Replete with a beautifully finished overall profile, this plane matches the very best of the very best. With regard to engineering standards, I doubt that you’ll find better. This plane has phenomenally tight, perfectly corresponding threads that result in minimal whiplash and uptake. The hardwood handles made from highly polished Bubinga needed no reworking to fit my fairly large hands. A truly well crafted plane to match the demands of the most discerning artisan.

As always, because I think first looks, though important, can be deceiving, I put this plane through some gruelling at-the-bench stress work working oak over a prolonged period before I passed my final judgement. I am so glad that it’s now a part of my permanent collection of user planes.

If you have any questions about this or any other plane type I will be glad to answer them. You can buy the Juuma #4, #5, #6 and a very neat little block plane from Dieter Schmid Fine Tools in Berlin, Germany www.fine-tools.com . Takes about three days delivery to the UK, longer to USA.

View Wolffarmer's profile

Wolffarmer

393 posts in 1986 days

#1 posted 05-15-2011 04:36 AM

Thanks for the review. Always good to see competition. Will have to check these out. I picked up a #5 Stanley Bailey last month at an estate sale. That one may never pass muster even for me.

Randy

-- That was not wormy wood when I started working on it.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#2 posted 05-15-2011 12:44 PM

thank´s for the rewiew :-)
can it realy be thrue that the chinise has learned something and start to deliver quality :-)
I´m looking forward to see if the qualitycontrol works over a longer periode

what is there to look out for , have you found anything that isn´t so good compared to
some of the other high end brands

take care
Dennis

#3 posted 05-15-2011 02:52 PM

I have used every high-end plane extensively. Clifton, Veritas, Lie Nielsen. These are all excellent planes produced to the highest standards and it should not be ruled out that each of these companies in three distinctly separate countries raised the standard and set the bar neglected badly by and reflected in the demise of companies such as Stanley and Record (now Irwin). I love all of their planes and there is a lot to be said for buying local produce. Furthermore, these companies produce the wider 4 1/2 models and I prefer the extra width for much of my everyday work.
I found the Juuma flawless in every way, but of course I only have one to write about and haven’t tested dozens. Every Stanley, Record and now Irwin I have ever used or come across has needed much remedial work before they would perform to task. That said, I think that once done, these tools work really as well as the high-end planes and have the advantage of feeling comfortable in the same way a well-worn leather couch has qualities you can’t get with a new one.

View Dennisgrosen's profile

Dennisgrosen

#4 posted 05-15-2011 03:04 PM

thank´s Poul I will look for them in future rewiews
and Dieter Smidt´s tools is just across the ostsea nearly can spot them … LOL
I look from time to time on his site but these I have missed some how

take care
Dennis

View bigkev's profile

bigkev

#5 posted 05-15-2011 03:46 PM

Whooopieeee!!!! Another tool made in China. Keep buying ‘em up fellas!

-- Kevin, South Carolina

View Chelios's profile

Chelios

#6 posted 05-15-2011 03:56 PM

I have given a chance to several tools from China in the past years and got burned everytime with the quality or better said lacking quality. I appreciate the review but I am with Kev on this one. The reputation for chinese made tools is way too low in my book to try again. Support your local responsible tool makers. It will be the best for everyone in the long run.

This is my opinion on the woodriver planes as well

best

#7 posted 05-15-2011 05:01 PM

I cannot gauge the quality of Woodriver as I have never touched one to my knowledge. I have touched and tweaked the new Stanley sweetheart planes, apparently made in Mexico, and I wasn’t impressed by them at all as they in no way compared to the US made Lie Nielsen planes or those mentioned in my previous post. I dismissed them immediately because of the poor craftsmanship and low engineering standards. I am in no way promoting Chinese planes but all planes worthy of credit based on how they exemplify high standards of manufacture, materials and finish. I use old Stanley, Record and Marples planes alongside Lie Nielsen, Veritas, Clifton and now Juuma planes every day. I have used some of them for 46 years as a working craftsman. Any plane I add to my daily-use tools has a tough act to follow and you are right, not every tool made in China (or Britain or the USA for that matter) is worthy of praise.

View Millo's profile

Millo

#8 posted 05-16-2011 12:43 AM

Can we assume this is the same plane made for Woodriver? The other day I saw another bedrock-style plane on ebay, w/o a brand name. Wondered the same thing.

AS far as what I read here, this plane seems to be good. If it’s good—why would it be bad to recommend it?

#9 posted 05-16-2011 05:59 AM

I think it worthy of note that Stanley had such little regard for its customers that for many years, I believe decades, when it had minimal competition in the low-end market, it tried fobbing us off with extremely low grade plastic handles. I bought probably around ten of these planes and I recall that they felt tinny at best and in every case they ended up with fractured handles from normal everyday planing operations. The fractures, and I am talking broken in two, were irreparable. These planes were made in Sheffield, England at the time. Don’t know when the US last made Stanleys. This is my old Stanley with beechwood handles.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

#10 posted 05-18-2011 03:40 PM

Thanks for the review. What does something like this cost?

#11 posted 05-18-2011 05:38 PM

I think it’s currently selling for 109 euros, not sure what that is in dollars US now, but it’s a fine plane.

View whitewulf's profile

whitewulf

#12 posted 08-18-2012 06:59 PM

It is still chinese! You never haer someone wanting to move there…...

-- "ButI'mMuchBetterNow"