Grex Pin Nailer Review P635

Review by StevePWL posted 2366 days ago 11306 views 0 times favorited 21 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grex Pin Nailer Review P635 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this gun in late Dec 07. I do a lot of trim on furniture and was sick of filling brad nail holes and not getting a good stain match. I had tried and returned a few other less expensive nailers so I wasn’t sure what to expect with the Grex. For the money ($199), I hoped it would be a good tool. After using it over the past few weeks, I am extremely pleased. I use the full 1 3/8” pin and they sink cleanly into the pine and poplar I generally use. The pin holes are very small and easy to fill. The trigger safety takes some getting used to but worth it. As there’s no safety at the nose, it will shoot pins into the air so you have to be careful. I would highly recommend this tool. It is expensive but has already saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Especially with power tools, you get what you pay for in most cases.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Pin nailers are great in certain applications. I have one and find it very useful, too. (Not a Grex, however)

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

shooting into the air… other types has to be pressed against something first, right?
Good thing the trigger has an awkward safety feature

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

what guage is this gun ? i actually prefer the trigger saftey . i have it on my 23 ga, pinner and wish all my pinners had it . i have to pin returns on very small mouldings and with a nose saftey , by the time i apply enough pressure to push the saftey down ive mialigned the piece

Hi mrtrim,
The Grex is a 23 ga pinner. I like not having the nose safety so you don’t get that misalignment problem. The nose guard is very good too and prevents dimpling, even in soft pine.
Steve

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

Yet another “must have” tool…...good review. Does this tool buying thing ever end? ;>) Hope not!
From an admitted tool junkie.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View mrtrim's profile

mrtrim

thanks for the info steve

View dalec's profile

dalec

Thanks for the review. I know one LJ who wrote several months ago who purchased the Grex and was not so pleased with the Grex. I recall the Grex was not driving the pins in properly. Some of the discussion suggested it may have had to do with the quality of the pins being used.

What brand pins have you been using?

Dalec

dennis mitchell

That would be my gun. I’ve used it with short pins and love it. Pine to pine it would probably do the two inch pins. Building cabinets and counter tops it just does not cut it. Will not shoot into particle board very well. Knowing what I know I’d get the 1 3/8 inch model and forget about the longer pinned model.

StevePWL

dalec, I use the Grex pins and haven’t had a problem so far.

dennis mitchell

Those are grex pins in my gun also.

View timmytimmy's profile

timmytimmy

I just bought the Grex 645 this weekend and love it! Alot of money but as with moost tools, worth every penny. Feels very well made.

-- timmytimmy

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

I use an Air Locker pinner (about $50). The only problem I have with it is the nose safety gets in the way when shooting in tight spaces. Other than that, and the occasional pin that does not go where you want it (has a tendency to follow the grain alot) it’s worked just fine. If I purchased another, it would not have a nose safety. I would not bother trying to shoot pins longer that 1 3/16” unless the wood is extremely soft and straight grained.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View Ryan Shervill's profile

Ryan Shervill

Dennis, what PSI are you running your gun at? Something doesn’t compute.

I’m in the middle of doing an extensive review for the one I won in the challenge…..Just got some more nails to test further, but I can say that my gun at 90 PSI will drive 2” nails into oak, 1” nails into cocobolo, and shorts into….and some people are going to cring at this….3/4” aluminum plate. Hey, I like to REALLY test the tools I review :)

Stay tuned for my full report in the next week or so, but I have to say I am extremely impressed with what this pinner will do :)

-- Want to see me completely transform a house? Look here: http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?41055

dennis mitchell

I’ve run it as high as 110. After I quit trying to shoot on face frames or counter top edging I’m a little happier with it, but that is why I bought it. Has a tendancy to curl up between the alder and the particle board. Any sanding exposes the head. I love the way it feels. I would really like to try their staple gun. When I shoot 1/2 pins I grab it and leave my portacable in the trailer. I did have to replace the piston to get it to work, so I might just have one that was made on a friday.

View JCAT's profile

JCAT

Dennis and I have had conversation about his issues and we replaced a driver piston assembly for him. We also have found that increasing air pressure to 110 – 115 when fastening in harder woods improves driver life.
We want any who has any issue to please give us a “heads up,” for us to help resolve.

-- Jerry, So Cal