Good n' uff

Review by Tedstor posted 1170 days ago 2038 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good n' uff No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

[sorry for the lousy stock photo. Click on it to see the entire image]

I bought this product about 8 months ago. At the time, they were on sale for $14.99. Thats about half what other roller stands of this quality cost and one-fifth of some of the pricier makes/models. When I got it home and took it out of the box, I inspected it for any obvious defects (bad welds, stripped hardware, etc). None were found. I then put it together with no issues.
After assembly, I adjusted the stand to various heights and firmly pushed down on it to test its sturdiness. It didn’t seem like it wanted to tip over or collapse. The manual claims it can support 132lbs. (nice even number LOL; you’d think the engineer would roll the dice and make it 135 or 140, but whatever).
I’ve used this stand a dozen or so times since I bought it. I’ve never come close to burdening it with 132lbs, so I can’t comment on that, but it had no problems supporting 2×12x10s that I did use it for. I’d venture to say this stand is plenty adequete for just about any typical home woodworking task, though i would suggest staying away from anything north of 90-100lbs.
The telescoping stand adjusts from 26.75 – 42.75”. Its secured via friction with a 5/16”ish threaded stud. The frame is made from powder coated square steel tube. Overall design and construction seems fine for the price.
Some of more expensive models have cast iron bases which explain their higher price point. If I had a frequent need for a roller stand, I’d probably spring for a cast iron model. However, for occasional light/med duty applications, this product has work quite well. When not it use, it folds up nicely and is easily hung on the wall.
Reg price on this one is currently $17.99, but is habitually on sale for $14.99. A coupon for $12.99 recently surfaced, and I used it to buy a second. Add this one to the HF gems list.
I gave it 5 stars because its every bit as good as the other economy roller stands, but at a much lower price. If I were to compare it against a heavy duty roller stand, I’d probably go with 3-4 stars.

View Tedstor's profile

Tedstor

View Gregn's profile

Gregn

I would have to agree with you on this product. I had one given to me by a friend who bought one at Lowes for me for $20.00 under a different name. I liked what it was capable of, and seen them on sale a few years ago at Harbor Freight for $7.99 and bought 4 of them. I do put weight on them when using them for outfeeds when cutting 3/4” sheets of plywood on the table saw. I have not had one fold up on me during use like I have with a cheaper model. I also would give this product a 5 star rating as well.

-- I don't make mistakes, I have great learning lessons, Greg

View superstretch's profile

superstretch

Look identical to my Craftsman one (was on clearance for 9.99 about a year ago)

-- Dan, Rochester, NY

I need to start watching sales for these. I need a couple of them for around the shop use…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View brtech's profile

brtech

Yeah, a very good product, and a bargain at the sale price. I have two, and they do the job. Of course, with a single roller, if you don’t set it up right, the material tends to slide.

BTW, 132lbs is 60Kg, probably what the actual spec is.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

I’ve got two without complaints. Kmart sells little pronged wall mounts that hold two perfectly!

View Dave's profile

Dave

I own this and it has done a wonderful job. 5 stars;) Watch the feet they will slip off.

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

View christopheralan's profile

christopheralan

Good to know. I will be looking for these. Thanks!

-- christopheralan http://www.projectwoodworks.com

View LegendInMyOwnMind's profile

LegendInMyOwnMind

I have two of these. One works OK, the other one doesn’t clamp down right. Not sure what’s wrong with it, but it takes all the force I can muster and it’s still too loose to use. So, I’d say the same with any HF stuff, buyer beware. I would have taken it back in the return timeframe for an exchange if they were closer than the hour away that I am from their store.

-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.