What did I get myself into?

Review by Alpiner posted 1162 days ago 15693 views 3 times favorited 72 comments Add to Favorites Watch
What did I get myself into? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently sold my 15-year old Jet contractors saw on Craigslist with the intention of upgrading to Grizzly’s new hybrid saw. I was tired of the extraneous sawdust the Jet produced even though I had the saw connected to a 2 HP Grizzly dust collector. Other than that, the Jet came perfectly set up, and I never had to make any adjustments through its 15 years of dedicated service.

I received the new Grizzly G0715P this past Tuesday, and had a neighbor assist me in locating it to my basement workshop. The saw assembled fairly easily; however, that’s where it stops. I have a dial indicator, and immediately found that the saw blade stop was not set at 90 degrees. After correcting that adjustment, I found that the fence was way out of parallel to the miter gauge slot. After correcting that adjustment, I also found that the saw blade (I have a recently factory-sharpened Forest Woodworker II) was not parallel to the miter gauge slot. I tweaked the trunnions accordingly. The blade was in the uppermost position during this process. I did find the arbor runout within .001” tolerance.

Now for the interesting part. After I had everything done where I thought I was ready to go, I again checked the blade being parallel to the miter gauge slot. Surprise! It was off by about 40 thousands of an inch. This time the blade was about half way down. I again adjusted the trunnions to make it parallel. The dial indicator is attached to a TS Aligner, Jr., which is an awesome instrument. The alignment of the blade would now change as I raised and lowered it. It actually would swing in opposite directions as I raised and lowered the blade off of the half way up alignment. When the blade was all the way up the back end of the blade toes in, and when the blade was up enough to cut a 1” board the back of the blade toes out. I even tried putting a washer as a shim under one of the rear trunnion bolts, but it really didn’t effect anything.

It’s taken me from Tuesday to now, Saturday, to get this far. I’m tired and frustrated. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I’ll revise my rating if I can get this mystery solved. The saw is in the basement to stay. I can’t imagine what favors I’d have to ask to get help to carry it up the stairs.

View bigkev's profile

bigkev

Call Grizzly.

-- Kevin, South Carolina

Alpiner

I called them Friday, bigkev. They’re the one that recommended the washer shim. I’ll call again Monday.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

677 posts in 2095 days

Is it a real hybrid saw meaning are the trunnions cabinet mounted or are they table mounts like contractor saw?

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

Alpiner

Being a hybrid saw, the trunnions are table mounted like a contractor saw.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

Four stars is a surprising score, given your misalignment. I’m not familiar with the Grizzly trunion system but if the blade toes in/out while up/down, I’m not sure that’s a shimmable fix:) It sounds like either the trunion is bent or I’m not understanding the situation. I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this on what was supposed to be an exciting delivery. At least you have the measuring tools to make the diagnosis.

View Todd1561's profile

Todd1561

Sounds just like the Craftsman 21833 I purchased last year. You could set the blade parallel to the slots at any given blade height, but as you as you raised or lowered the blade the adjustment would be way out of whack. Seemed to be a machining defect with the trunnion system. The Craftsman had a single pivot point to raise and lower the blade which I tore all apart and suspect was mis-machined. Further research found many other people with the same issue.

I wonder if the Griz uses a similar system, or is made by the same Chinese factory? Given that this is a “hybrid” shouldn’t that mean it has cabinet mounted trunnions? As has been suggested, probably your only option is to deal with Grizzly, I’m sure they’ll be more responsive and knowledgeable that Sears was. But I doubt this is an issue you’ll be able to fix at home, too bad since I can’t imagine shipping a saw back to Grizzly will be easy. Maybe you can get them to ship you just a new trunnion assembly?

EDIT: I ultimately argued with the Sears staff long enough to let me return the saw after the 30-day return policy and I bought the Porter-Cable PCB270TS saw from Lowe’s. While it’s far from a professional cabinet saw, the blade was dead on right out of the box. It also has a form of cabinet mounted trunnions, just not the traditional big cast yoke setup the cabinet saw guys are used to. I’ve had the saw for about 6 months and have not had a single issue with it (knock on wood!).

Todd

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

Al -
The OP gave it just two stars in his review. The four stars shown on the right is the average of the six reviews of this saw.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View smitty22's profile

smitty22

That’s a shame, but stay on Grizzly until they replace the unit. As Todd described, sure sound like my Craftsman 21833, and it can’t be fixed.

-- Smitty

Alpiner

Four stars? I only meant to give it two even though I have yet to use the saw.

View Howie's profile

Howie

Grizzley has developed a good rep with the woodworking community. I’m sure they will work thru this with you.
Sorry it’s so far out of whack but sounds like you have a dud. I’m fortunate, the grizzley products I have were spot on out of the box.

-- Life is good.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

I think it is a bit premature to give them any rating. I have seen similar problems from every manufacturer….and it is what they do when they have this problem that really makes or breaks the rating IMHO.

I am following to see what they do about this….as probably alot of potential customers on LJ’s. I have a Grizzly TS (but the full cabinet model G0691). I can at least say that my saw did not have this problem….it was almost dead on from the box….the stops were a bit off 90degree was 90.2…..45 was 45.3…..I tweaked the mounting bolts and that fixed that…...then tested the mitre slot….it was almost perfect…..I just needed to clean of the shipping grease (they really put it on) and adjust (tighten with the blade held at the correct angle) the arbor nut and it was ready to go. That Leeson motor on these saws is smooth (you could do a dime test on this saw if you could one to stand up on its own), very quiet for a 3hp and has not even missed a beat on some very hard woods. I too have a WWII – an excellent multi purpose blade.

I’ve used their customer support a couple times and they were very considerate and helpful. They shipped/did what they said they would. I received replacement parts (the riving knife was received bent and the small plastic rider on the blade guard had broken off) the next day from my call. So far, the majority of reviews are as complimentary towards their support department. Hopefully, they will stay on track and make this right also.

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

Alpiner

I live near the Springfield, MO showroom (I’m in St. Louis), and I drove there about six weeks ago, and brought back a 6” jointer. It was very accurate (within .002”) for bed and fence flatness. I did have to reset the blades, though. I had hopes the new saw would yield me similar results.

Alpiner

I initially planned on getting the G0690, but it’s an extra 100 lbs. over what this one weighs, and it was a struggle getting it down my basement stairs. If Grizzly agrees to replace this one, I believe I will upgrade to the G0690. I will have to hire someone to help move this one back to the garage, and to bring the G0690 to the basement. I won’t ask my neighbor to again help, and I’m 70, not 45. I still have the box pieces, but I put the pallet out for the trash, and it’s gone. I suppose I can use the pallet from the G0690 when it’s delivered. Hopefully Grizzly won’t have a problem with that. I’m anxious to see what they tell me when I call tomorrow about a replacement.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

677 posts in 2095 days

True hybrid should have cabinet mounted trunnions. placing the motor inside and adding a dust collection on bottom doesn’t make it true hybrid. And way too many manufacturers are pushing these types as hybrid and selling a pseudo contractor saw for higher price. the accuracy of a table saw and how frequent you have to re-calibrate it comes from trunnions. Either way, I don’t get the 4 star rating on a defective product.
Ridgid r4511 is a true hybrid. ridgid r4512 is not.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

Alpiner

Thanks for your input, routerisstillmyname, but to me, and from what others are also saying, a hybrid saw is usually a 2 hp vs. the 1.5 hp of a contractor saw, plus an enclosed base. The trunnions are still mounted to the table vs. the cabinet, which is why a cabinet saw is called that. I only gave it two stars. You’re looking at the four-star average of the combined rating of the six reviewers. I would have given it one star, but I gave a second star for the nice fit and finish.