Grizzly G0529 Oscillating Spindle & Disk Sander

Review by CreekWoodworker posted 05-07-2011 05:00 PM 4393 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzly G0529 Oscillating Spindle & Disk Sander Grizzly G0529 Oscillating Spindle & Disk Sander Grizzly G0529 Oscillating Spindle & Disk Sander Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this tool about nine months ago and it has become one of my most used tools. This tool is heavy (180 lbs) and will require two people to set it up. The setup itself is fairly easy, the top portion of the sander comes assembled with the two tables attached. However, this is what makes it heavy and difficult to work with. The box the sander was delivered in was too large to fit through my basement door. My son I removed the top portion which is probably 90% of the weight, but it as still to heavy and awkward to handle. We ended up putting it on a plastic disk snow sled and carefully slide it down the basement stairs. The base was easy and straight forward to assemble. Again, it will take two people to lift the sander unit onto the top of the base.

The tables are delivered covered with a waxy oil and plastic to protect from corrosion. Table aligning was easy and straight forward. This sander includes two 2” diameter ports for dust collection. The dust ports is where I mark the sander down half a point for not using the more standard 2.5” port. I wrapped electrical tape around the ports to increase the outer diameter to fit my 2.5” hose. I read other online reviews before purchasing saying dust collection was it weakest point, however I haven’t experienced problems. Dust collection seems to work well. I will say the closer the table insert is to the spindle the more difficult it is for dust to drop below the table where the dust port is located but again I don’t see this as a problem as long as you maintain a small gap for air flow.

I haven’t use the disk sander as much but it’s nice to have when needed. The only negative thing I can say (again minus half a point in my rating) is the upper disk cover is made of plastic and seems a little flimsy.

The tables are easy to setup and can be adjusted up to 45 degrees. The 1 HP motor runs quiet and never bogs down. Word for safety caution, both spindle and disk run at the same time without a method to turn one or the other off. Make sure the tables are clear before operating.

Overall I would say this tool is very good quality and well built machine with plenty of power. Working with Grizzly was simple and the product was delivered as promised. It came to my house on a semi-truck trailer and the driver was very helpful. He suggested backing up may pickup truck to his trailer, he help offload the tool onto my truck, walked up my driveway and helped offload from my pickup to my garage rather than leaving it at the end of my driveway. He was very helpful especially since it was raining.

I have been thinking about adding a couple 9” spindles for when I get back to making bandsaw boxes. I’ll have to call Grizzly to see if a G1071 spindle will work with my G0529.

Would I recommend this tool to a friend… absolutely.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1936 days

View Jahness's profile

Jahness

#1 posted 05-07-2011 05:52 PM

Great Review. I’ve been looking at this tool for a while and the one thing you pointed out that discourages me from it is the fact that you can’t turn on one tool independently. Probably not a big issue with most people but i’m the kind of person that don’t like lights on if you’re not in the room. Other then that it seems like a great tool. Thanks

-- John

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#2 posted 05-07-2011 05:52 PM

Wow, that is one clean shop. congrats on sander.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#3 posted 05-08-2011 04:36 AM

Great review!! I wanted this machine, but alas I couldn’t afford it!! Congrats and enjoy!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2102 days

#4 posted 05-08-2011 03:05 PM

Been looking at a few spindle sanders. Didn’t know this one existed, it just moved well up the ranks of my potential choices. Thanks for the review.

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#5 posted 05-08-2011 03:07 PM

hows the dust collection with it???? I looked at your shop looks

like you really don’t like sweeping with all the duct work you have…:)

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1936 days

#6 posted 05-09-2011 03:38 AM

@Bob, you are so right. My shop is in my basement and sweeping just gets the fine dust back in the air. And of coarse my main reason… When momma’s happy everyone is happy. She hates dust tracked upstairs. ;)

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#7 posted 05-09-2011 06:54 AM

Great review. Thanks.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View cmmyakman's profile

cmmyakman

#8 posted 05-09-2011 08:23 PM

Nice review thank you – will consider that sander for myself.

-- You can't fail if you don't give up.

View hairy's profile

hairy

2012 posts in 2170 days

#9 posted 05-10-2011 01:25 AM

One real good thing about grizzly is that they have manuals online. I bought spindles for the G1071 spindle sander to use in my Boice Crane. The grizz spindles are morse taper 2, with a threaded end. My machine is mt 1, no threads. I had a machinist buddy cut them down to fit.

-- the last of Barret's Privateers...