Popular Woodworking The New Traditional Woodworker by Jim Tolpin

Review by WayneC posted 05-07-2011 04:21 AM 2327 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Popular Woodworking The New Traditional Woodworker by Jim Tolpin No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recieved this book in the mail after pre-ordering on Amazon.com. It is all I hoped it would be. The book is well written and full of great photography. It covers the workshop, workbenches, hand tools, and runs you through a set of projects to make shop aids while demonstrating techniques for use of a very wide range of hand tools.

I’m sure I will make a number of the projects in the book before it is all said and done. The book was released on May 4th and you can find it at Amazon by following the link below.

The following is a list of projects in the book

Straitedge
Sawbench Pair
Waste Backing Block
Drawing Bows
Sticking Board for Dowels

Looking forward to seeing some of these projects posted on the site. Have a great weekend.

View Dave's profile

Dave

#1 posted 05-07-2011 04:32 AM

Thanks Wayne, I am so leery about buying a book online. I like to a least grab a quick glance at the contents. Thanks for the review. And a very interesting list of projects;)

-- Superdav "No matter where you go - there you are." http://chiselandforge.com

Dennis

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#3 posted 05-07-2011 02:51 PM

Thanks, I’ll probably get it around the corner. I just ordered some more chip carving books so I’ll have to hold off for a month or so.

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#4 posted 05-07-2011 03:49 PM

Thanks for the review Wayne, this looks like one to pick up.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1981 days

#5 posted 05-07-2011 07:08 PM

I’ve been hearing good things about this book, so you’ve convinced me to go ahead and get it. Wife just got 3 books, I figure I’m due one :)

View mafe's profile

mafe

#6 posted 05-09-2011 12:18 AM

Might be on my wish list.

#7 posted 05-11-2011 08:04 PM

Here is a link to another review of the book.

Mads, I think it is right up your alley…

View Tim Kindrick's profile

Tim Kindrick

#8 posted 08-03-2011 12:29 AM

Jim Tolpin is the best!!!!! Thanks Wayne, I look forward to reading this book!!!!!!

-- I have metal in my neck but wood in my blood!!

#9 posted 08-03-2011 01:06 AM

Between Jim and Christopher Schwarz, you will get a full shot of galoot juice.