A nice chuck for cheap

Review by bobasaurus posted 05-04-2011 06:48 AM 5156 views 3 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A nice chuck for cheap A nice chuck for cheap A nice chuck for cheap Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased the PSI Barracuda 2 chuck system off Amazon to improve my ability to make bowls. The price was very reasonable considering the good quality and extra accessories included. There are four sets of jaws that cover any tenon diameter I could need, and an attachment to make it into a screw chuck. It’s threaded for a 1” dia 8 tpi spindle, which fits my old Delta lathe perfectly (there’s also an adapter for 3/4 16 included). The chuck jaws have ridges to keep a strong hold on the workpiece. These ridges do leave marks on the tenon, though I doubt any chuck will leave it pristine without flinging your blank across the room. I also bought a set of the large flat/cole jaws to pretty-up tenons and finish bowl bottoms (arrived in the mail today… I’ll update this review when I’ve tried it). The chuck key does like to slip out, especially when approaching final tightness. I also have to re-tighten it occasionally between intensive turning sessions. The exposed jaw edges have a small chamfer, which reduces the chances of hurting your fingers if you get too close (I’ve brushed them a few times while turning without issue). Overall I’m pretty pleased with the chuck, and would recommend it.

View cornflake's profile

cornflake

#1 posted 05-04-2011 02:40 PM

i too have used this chuck it is a vary dependable one.

View Bertha's profile

Bertha

#2 posted 05-04-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks for this review. I’m currently in the market and you’re right, the price is right!

View poopiekat's profile

poopiekat

#3 posted 05-04-2011 03:58 PM

Are the optional jaws and accessories easy to find, or did you have to order them? Have you tried the dovetail feature yet? Thanks for the great review!

#4 posted 05-04-2011 04:25 PM

The optional jaws are available from here:

It doesn’t come with dovetail jaws in the default set of accessories, but they are pretty affordable at $23 from penn state industries. I may order a set eventually, but the round jaws are doing a good job of holding my straight tenons.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#5 posted 05-04-2011 04:25 PM

I’ve been using the One Way Talon chuck for almost 15 years and I am sure it will last for the rest of my life. However, on a couple of occasions I have used a friend’s Barracuda. I believe the Barracuda to be just as good as my Talon and it cost less, especially if you want more than one set of jaws.

The Talon will never wear out, but if it did, the Barracuda would be my first choice to buy a replacement.

View 53rdcard's profile

53rdcard

#6 posted 05-04-2011 11:33 PM

I to own this chuck, and really like it, got a supernova 2 prior to it, and to be honest wish i had gotten 2 of the PSI ones, not only do they have more jaws, but just to get the same number of jaws for a supernova 2 chuck, you could buy the PSI one.

Couple of things, one there is a titanium version of it that comes with a set of cole jaws and is only $10 more, and to keep the jaws from leaving the marks cover them with masking tape, it does allot to stop it, not all, but allot.

5387 posts in 1979 days

#7 posted 05-05-2011 04:20 PM

Thanks for a great review. I love the Barracuda chuck. Good piece of hardware.

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View JamesVavra's profile

JamesVavra

288 posts in 2063 days

#8 posted 05-05-2011 07:27 PM

I too have this chuck system. It’s fantastic, especially at its price point.

#9 posted 05-05-2011 08:37 PM

I made a stupid move yesterday and flipped on the lathe forgetting that I had positioned the chuck key in there for the picture. It slammed into the lathe body and flung onto the floor. After a quick check, everything is still perfectly fine. There isn’t even a mark on the chuck or key and everything moves perfectly. It’s nice to see that the chuck key does fall out easily for safety (not sure if this was intentional on the manufacturer’s part).

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

1797 posts in 1937 days

#10 posted 05-08-2011 07:48 AM

It’s easy to for get the key….But DON’T DO THAT NO MORE!!!!

Good Review!!!!