First woodworking chisels

Review by ic3ss posted 05-04-2011 03:32 AM 3844 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
First woodworking chisels First woodworking chisels No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I picked up a couple of these to start off a set of these bevel edge chisels from Two Cherries. I got the 6mm and 16mm to start with and used them on an inlay project I did last fall. The edges didn’t seem to last too long and sharpened them up on my scary sharp table. To my surprise the edges have lasted much longer than the new factory edges, don’t know why. The guy at Rockler where I got these said they were very good when I was making comparisons between these and the Irwin blue handle chisels. Not really sure what the differences are, or why these are so much better, but I will say that I like them very much. I did have to flatten the backs and it took a while to really get the 16mm flat. The 6mm is so narrow that it didn’t take much. On my sharpening table, I’m starting at 100 grit and going up to 4000. This returns the shiny finish that I liked, I just don’t understand why they can’t just flatten the damn things at the factory and save the customer a lot of work.

I need to get the 4, 3, and 2mm next as I’m planning another inlay project and it would be nice to have a chisel that small. I like these really well and will continue to collect the sizes that I need. I also picked up the Kirschen cabinet scraper. I never used a cabinet scraper before, so I went with the same manufacturer as the chisels. I also got the burnishing tool too. The scraper took a burr quickly and easily using the tool, and is still sharp. I’m not looking forward to grinding the edge flat to do the burr again. I’m not sure I can get it as straight as it’s supposed to be. Oh well, I’ll figure it out.

View racerglen's profile

racerglen

#1 posted 05-04-2011 01:04 PM

Wayne.. like everything else there’s a tool for every job..
Home made you can cut a 90 degree slot in a block of wood, big enough to snugly hold a flat file,
a bolt if needed will make it more secure. Tle block holds the file at a 90 to the scraper blade and reduces the chance of rounding things from side to side (lengthways) Then there’s the buy it..
Lee Valley sells an excelent aluminum extrusion with a brass thumb screw that does the same thing..

-- Glen, Vernon B.C. Canada

View iwoodu's profile

iwoodu

#2 posted 05-04-2011 04:15 PM

Glen addresses the situation needed to sharpen your scraper quite well. What I do is simply clamp the scraper blade between two 3/4” hardwood blocks (upright in a bench vise). Have the scraper blade rise proud of the blocks just a whisker. Then you file with the file resting/riding across the blocks.
—-Ted, Rice Lake, Wisconsin

#3 posted 05-04-2011 08:21 PM

Glen, Sounds like this is a really good method. Thanks very much, this is why I keep coming back to this website.

#4 posted 05-04-2011 09:12 PM

wayne I can write the explanation to you why the blank polished isnĀ“t flat ….but do to my lack
of english …. LOL , I have found this link for you just scroll down and there is a short precise explanation
of the difference between the unpolished and the polished Twocherries cheisels and the lack of flatness :-)

good luck with your cheisels and scrapers in the future

#5 posted 05-04-2011 09:16 PM

ooh yes I forgot to say many many edgetools has a soft edge to start with and it has nothing to do
with lack of qualitycontrol and how expencive the tool is you just have to expect it from time to time
until they have been sharpened a few times

#6 posted 05-05-2011 12:02 AM

Thanks Dennis, I never heard that before about new edges.

View HerbC's profile

HerbC

#7 posted 05-05-2011 12:32 AM

Wayne,

MaFe has posted a project and blog about making and using a jig to make it easier to properly sharpen your scraper…

Good Luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

-- Herb, Florida - Here's why I close most messages with "Be Careful!" http://lumberjocks.com/HerbC/blog/17090

#8 posted 05-05-2011 01:12 AM

Herb,

Very nice work by MaFe. I like, I think I’ll make that. Thanks for the link.

View David Kirtley's profile

David Kirtley

#9 posted 05-05-2011 06:28 AM

The factory grind on chisels is done fast and heats the edge. Slow cool grinding would make them cost much more.

-- Woodworking shouldn't cost a fortune: http://lowbudgetwoodworker.blogspot.com/

#10 posted 05-05-2011 02:11 PM

Barry, Dennis,

Ok, that makes sense. The polishing process with a soft wheel rounds the surface. Thanks guys.

Another question for Barry, what’s the relationship with Hirsch and Two Cherries? Same manufacturer, different product lines? They looked the same to me.

#11 posted 05-05-2011 09:12 PM

its the same manufactor :-) and basicly the same name in two langauge … LOL

View mightywombat's profile

mightywombat

#12 posted 05-06-2011 03:59 AM

Check out Marc Spagnuolo’s video on a class he took from William Ng that ended up including an impromptu lesson in card sharpening. You should be able to use the stones you have now.

-- Make it, hack it, break it, fix it.