Klutch Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser Guide — 10in.

Review by David Grimes posted 1187 days ago 6941 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Klutch Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser Guide — 10in. Klutch Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser Guide — 10in. Klutch Compound Sliding Miter Saw with Laser Guide — 10in. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I already have had both a 12” Dewalt and a 7 1/4” Craftsman miter saw for many years. They have served their purpose well. But I wanted a 10” sliding for my personal shop. We all know you can put a crap blade on a good saw and get crap, but sometimes… sometimes you can put a good blade on a good saw and get great results.

That’s what I have here. This saw is smooth operating, easily adjusts and dials in, is light weight, and has been powerful enough for everything I’ve thrown at it over the last couple of months. It has a usable laser that is fed by the AC power (no stinking batteries). And yes, you have to wipe the dust off the laser every now and then.

It is simple, but it does the job. Being rather large yet lightweight, I suspect it could not be expected to survive being throw around and piled onto in the back of trucks like our work Dewalts, but hey… this is MINE. It is not going to move more than 25 feet for the rest of its life (unless they come out with the 12” version and I sell this one to get it).

So, it does what I want it to do. And best of all, it is only $139 with free shipping from Northern Tool. I spent 1/4 of that on a better blade the day I put it together. Somebody got a nice 7 1/4” slider for over $400. Good for them. I didn’t. Good for me.

This saw is currently rated a 4.7 start out of 5 possible by 26 actual owners at the retail site. I would give it a 4.5 but Lumberjocks stars are not fractional friendly.

Complaints? The Dewalt crown fences wont fit the holes on the front of this bed. Not yet, anyway. But I can’t blame them for that. They won’t fit the Makita or Bosch or Ridgid, either.

I recommend this (for non-commercial applications) whole-heartedly. I’m glad I got it.

Look familiar?

The Northern Tool Klutch brand miter saws and the HF Chicago Electric miter saws aside from color, appear almost identical to me. Just swap the blades and you are good… The biggest difference is that the Klutch like the OP mentioned has the laser hard wired, the Chicago Electric uses a battery. I don’t bother with the laser anyway, so no big deal.. (The base casting also appears different, but the base casting on the CE saws I see in store looks like the Klutch model, not the HF promo photo…)

If you watch the sale flyers, the 10” model goes on sale for around $90.00 pretty frequently…

I have the 12” and love it. Just swap a good blade in it, fine tune your angles, and get to cutting!

OP I noticed your stand. Do you have any problems with the stand wanting to move when you slide the saw? I have mine on a B&D Firestorm stand and it wiggles when I move the saw, pretty scary honestly… I am close to ready to build a miter saw station so it stays put!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

Well, It rates 4.7 start out of 5 because they don’t print negative reviews. I had the saw and had to return it.
I agree it’s a good saw for the price but it’s missing the most important feature on adjustments.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

View mathom7's profile

mathom7

While I agree these types of tools are quite often built in one factory and just re-branded, these two saws are obviously not an example. Usually when this is the case the tools will just have different handles or different colored plastic parts. It appears every major cast or molded component on these two saws is different. I wouldn’t be surprised if they both perform equally, but, I wouldn’t want people to dismiss this saw due to experiences with the HF tool.

Dear Routerisstillmyname,

They DO publish negative reviews. See mine there on the 2×4 steel pegboard. See another 1 star on the excell toolbox with weak latches by somebody else. That is only two examples of less than stellar rating due to complaints of a flaw. There are many more.

But, you stated that the “most important feature on adjustments” is missing. What would that be? Thanks for sharing.

2072 posts in 1241 days

Dear dbhost, There is little or no movement of the stand, but a very small amount of front to back wiggle only when a sudden and quick stroke is made out and down simultaneously. That movement is from the saw/support/rail interface. Not scary at all and no wiggle or lateral movement.

I tend to use these as a miter saw (no slide) most of the time. But when I do slide out, I go out first, then down and finally back (regardless of the size or brand of saw). I set the tension on the slide so that it isn’t like greased lightning (no tension).

I’ll be giving these stand supports and stand a great workout soon. I have four pairs so I will have the miter saw, the scroll saw, the 11” band saw, and the belt/disk sander ready to go when needed. I’ll update the review of that stand later when the shop is finished and projects begin.

Thanks for asking.

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

I too would like to hear what the missing “most important adjustment” is. The comment is kind of useless without the specific facts.

David very nice review. Thanks.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

Thanks David. Yeah my stand is firm as all get out if I am just chopping, but with the slide, as I approach the rear of the stroke, the tail of the saw tends to dip down a hair…

I have plans to retire the folding stand in favor of a proper miter station though…

I wish I could retract my original post. I didn’t have my glasses on. They sure look the same when I am squinting!

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

lol bifocals here

View grantlairdjr's profile

grantlairdjr

Interesting. I purchased miter saw like yours but at HF store recently. It works out pretty good for me. Had to adjust that damn deep depth screw… 25% off sale on Easter, plus tax and warranty. $120 – not bad for starter like myself. I need table saw next!

-- Grant Laird Jr - Garland, Texas