Very good ripping (and crosscutting!) blade

Review by dedalo posted 04-27-2011 04:57 PM 2992 views 1 time favorited 22 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very good ripping (and crosscutting!) blade No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last week I received this saw blade from Rockler. This is my first “professional” blade, until now just used the blades that came with the machines I bought or some cheap blades I could get a local stores.

In my last proyect I realized 2 things (using the dewalt blade that came with the saw)

1.- Big quantity of wood consumed by each cut
2.- The finish was VERY poor I couldn’t glue the faces without sanding…

The things that made me choose this blade:

1.- Thin kerf: this generates a LOT less wood consuption on each cut, and also helps my small table saw to deal with bigger stock. its very good for under powered saws.
2.- price, even adding shipping and taxes was a very good choice compared to local available ones.

The blade does what it says, it is incrediby steady, don´t make noise when cutting and the finish is EXCELENT!, I even tried to crosscut, something this blade is NOT for… and it cuts really better than my old blade.

this was so good I’m asking rockler for a crosscut blade for my next shipment

saludos!
more information at my blog

View Jack_T's profile

Jack_T

#1 posted 04-27-2011 05:07 PM

I have the cross cut blade. I think your going to love it.

-- Jack T, John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life."

View jayman7's profile

jayman7

#2 posted 04-27-2011 05:28 PM

I have both blades and they are both top notch!!!

View C_PLUS_Woodworker's profile

C_PLUS_Woodworker

#3 posted 04-27-2011 05:28 PM

You will never, ever regret using good blades. They are a joy to use, particulary to us guys that used crappy ones for (too many) years.

Are you going to make ZCI’s? They also make a huge difference.

-- We must all walk our own green mile

#4 posted 04-27-2011 05:32 PM

I too have that Crosscut blade and love it. Just need to get it sharpened now. I used it as my all purpose blade and it is great. It’s not made to rip thick stock, but for everything else it excels. I may just order another to back up the one I have when it needs sharpening.

View Marpintero's profile

Marpintero

193 posts in 2038 days

#5 posted 04-27-2011 05:40 PM

Good review Dedalo. Thin kerf has important advantages. But, what chance have any disadvantages? Why saws are still made in common kerf?
Greetings compatriot.

Buena crítica Dedalo. El corte fino presenta grandes ventajas. Pero, ¿tienen acaso alguna desventaja? ¿Porqué se siguen fabricando las sierras comunes?
Saludos compatriota.

-- Our lives are marked and bound together by concentric rings. Martín - Argentina

View woodklutz's profile

woodklutz

#6 posted 04-27-2011 05:54 PM

I also have both blades, they are indeed very good for my normal woodworking. I bought them from Amazon for much less money than on other sites, plus free shipping and no tax. Amazon is so reliable that I hardly ever purchase any item large or small anywhere else.

-- honing my craft one mistake at a time.

#7 posted 04-27-2011 05:58 PM

Marpintero – Thin Kerf blades are good on saws that are underpowered. They require less power because they remove less waste. But because they are thinner they are more prone to flex in thicker woods. Some use a blade stiffener to help prevent this. So full kerf blades are thicker and have less flex and don’t need stiffeners. Also, some people like their blades a full 1/8” because it makes it easier to make your measurements with an 1/8” blade than one that’s around 3/32”. Hope that helps.

View Dchip's profile

Dchip

267 posts in 2003 days

#8 posted 04-27-2011 06:06 PM

I have used this rip blade and completely agree as to its quality, especially on an underpowered saw. As for buying from rockler, you can sometimes catch these blades on amazon for a bit less. This may not apply internationally, however.

-- Dan Chiappetta, NYC, http://www.9x7woodworks.com

View Marpintero's profile

Marpintero

193 posts in 2038 days

#9 posted 04-27-2011 08:39 PM

Thanks BreakingBoardom. I had the impression that there is no panaceas in woodworking…

Gracias BreakingBoardom. Tenía la impresión de que en carpintería tampoco existen panaceas…

View rance's profile

rance

4147 posts in 1912 days

#10 posted 04-27-2011 10:44 PM

Marpintero, Sure there are pancakes in woodworking. There are also Eggs and Sausage. Just no biscuits.

-- Backer boards, stop blocks, build oversized, and never buy a hand plane--

#11 posted 04-27-2011 11:34 PM

@woodklutz unfortunately amazon do not ship to argentina
@CPLUSWoodworker yes, I’m already getting used to the good thing. what is ZCI?
@BreakingBoardom i always suffer for measurements, since we ar on metric system :D, that is something i din´t take in account when bought my incra metric system…

thankyou all guys for your comments.

#12 posted 04-27-2011 11:39 PM

ZCI = Zero Clearance Insert

#13 posted 04-27-2011 11:48 PM

@CPLUSWoodworker yes! I´m using a ZCI, but just used some wood i had around, I will look for a better material for it.

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

#14 posted 04-28-2011 03:44 AM

The guys at the Woodcraft store told me that this blade was unacceptable for crosscuts.WRONG! I crosscut some small stuff that I didnt want to change blades for and it did a great job.No tearout even on 1/4” ply,Jatoba,And walnut using a zci.I now use it almost all the time.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Chris Lewis's profile

Chris Lewis

#15 posted 04-28-2011 03:57 PM

I also use this blade and have had great luck with crosscuts as well.

Chris in Seattle