Very Nice 23ga Pin Nailer

Review by Michael J posted 04-25-2011 06:49 PM 3758 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Very Nice 23ga Pin Nailer Very Nice 23ga Pin Nailer No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Admittedly, this is my first 23ga pinner, so I don’t have anything to compare it to. However, I have 3 other Porter Cable nails gun, so I do have some frame of reference when it comes to pneumatic nail guns.

I had done a lot of research on pin nailers and was just about to make a purchase when I came across a few reviews on the Rotek 23ga pin nailer. The reviews I read were very favorable and I liked the features that it came with, especially at the $99 price tag. I was originally looking to buy a different brand that shot longer than 1” pins, but it also cost a lot more (which I was willing to pay). But I decided to take a chance on the Rotek after doing some more research and coming to the conclusion that while I might need longer than 1”, it was unlikely I would need to shoot 2” pins. The Rotek seemed like a good compromise to me.

My reasons for buying the gun over some of the other one’s I was considering was that it shoots slight headed brads as well as pins and can shoot up to 1 3/8 pins and 1 3/16 brads. I’m not even sure if I needed a gun that shot pins longer than 1”, but for some reason I thought it might be handy and that there might be a time where it might be nice to have. The body casting is the same one as the Grex P635 and it is supposedly made in the same factory, although I suspect that’s pretty common for many tools in general.

I’ve had a chance to put it to the test recently and it has worked flawlessly on several projects. Fit and finish are very good. It feels as nice in your hand as the $200+ dollar pin nailer’s. It’s easy to load, has anti-marring tips for both brads/pins and I’ve never had a mis-fire or a jam up yet. It’s also been perfect with respect to driving the pins at the proper depth and the pins are practically invisible. I’m really glad I finally jumped on the 23ga pin nailer bandwagon. I anticipate getting a lot of use out of it for a numerous number of tasks.

I highly recommend this pin nailer. I don’t know what else could be improved upon with this gun, so I’m giving it 5 stars based on what you get for the price. Obviously it could shoot longer pins or have the extra bells and whistles like a blow gun attachment (like one of the others), but I expect to pay more for those “extras” as well. At $99, I don’t think you can beat this gun when you compare it to the features of other guns in its price range.

View PCM's profile

PCM

#1 posted 04-26-2011 02:09 AM

I’ve owned the Rotek 23 ga pinner for about a year and I have been pleased with its performance. Though, I believe I paid about $130, I still feel it was a good deal. I agree with all the points Mike made.

#2 posted 04-26-2011 05:00 AM

Deke,
A slight headed brad is basically a 23 gage clipped headed brad. Here’s the definition from Cadex that I found on the Amazon website. I hope it helps explain it better. Certainly better than I can in my own words anyways. :)

“23 gauge brads are a new addition to the fine finishing market place, and fill the gap between the 23 gauge fine wire pins and an 18 gauge brad. They offer significantly more holding power than the straight pin, but the head is still a fraction the size of an 18 gauge brad. This is ideal in situations where greater holding power is required than is provided by the straight pins, but still require the minimal marking in the wood being fastened. “

#3 posted 04-26-2011 11:27 AM

Nice review thx.

View Smalltimer's profile

Smalltimer

#4 posted 04-26-2011 04:12 PM

Nice review. I was considering a Hitachi pin nailer in the same price bracket, but now I’ll research the Rotek as well.

By the way, what type of compressor do you need for these things? Will my little portable 100psi work, or do I need to upgrade?

#5 posted 04-26-2011 06:53 PM

Smalltimer, I have a 30 gallon/2 HP air compressor, but that is overkill for this gun and certainly not even close to being necessary. I’d think a portable one should work just fine. The specs say that it needs between 60-90psi. The amount of air needed for this pin nailer should be smaller than any other nail guns. So if you use your compressor for other guns, this will certainly work. I shot my nails at a pressure of about 75-80 and that worked fine. Even if you have only a 2 gallon air compressor, I bet you could shoot a lot of these pins before your compressor cycles even once.