My table saw could not have broken at a worse time, or a better time.

Review by Tom Adamski posted 02-29-2008 10:48 PM 6187 views 0 times favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
My table saw could not have broken at a worse time, or a better time. No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Last August, I was starting a new project; an oak fireplace mantel for a friend. I guess my 10+ year old Delta (cheap inboard motor model) could not take the strain and let out what souded like a high pitched scream and stopped with a puff of white smoke. After a few explatives and a sudden realization that my project was on hold, I went inside and started looking online for a new saw. I read so many reviews, my head started to spin, but I knew I wanted another Delta. If it is good enough for Norm Abram and David Marks, it shure as h*ll can work for me too.

I purchased the Delta 36-980 (with 1 1/2Hp motor, 30” T2 Fence, cast iron extensions, mobile base and dust collection) from CPO Woodworking. CPO beat Amazon on price, provided free shipping direct to my garage and had it delivered in 3 days from the factory. The assembly and set up were straight forward. The built in wheels gave me a little problem, but all was straightened out with a call to customer service. (Very nice people). By the way… You will need another person to help on this assembly as the whole thing weighs more than 300 lbs.

Once assembly was complete, I checked everything for accuracy. The blade was in perfect alignment with the miter slots and the set screws were already set to perfect 90 and 45 degrees. Other than a half turn on an adjustment screw for the fence, Everything was perfect. Then the most outstanding thing happened. I turned it on and it was QUIET! I could not believe how quiet it was… My old saw made me use earplugs, but this one, I can hear my music playing in the background while I’m running the saw.

It has now been 6 months and my confidence in Delta’s tools could not be higher. The quality, fit and performance is more than I had paid for. I am a Delta geek for life…

With the new saw, it was fun and easy cutting the thick oak for my friends new fireplace mantel.

Check out CPO Woodworking some great deals on all Delta’s saws…

Sincerely,

Tom Adamski, Naperville, Illinois

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#1 posted 02-29-2008 10:51 PM

I used a Delta contractor saw for about 9+ years until I finally moved up to a Unisaw.

I never had any problems with it.

#2 posted 02-29-2008 11:07 PM

The saw that failed on you sounds like a Delta Motorized saw and not a Contractors saw. I use to have one about 13 years ago. They use a small poly cogged belt. One day when it was cold out in the shop I managed to strip the coggs right off the belt, so I order a new belt and sold the saw. The Contractors saw is definately a step up, and so is the Unifence.

#3 posted 02-29-2008 11:13 PM

Woodchuck,
You are absolutly right about the model! For me the motor fried and a replacement would cost $195 plus shipping. Not gonna happen. By the way… the T2 fence that came with the saw, looks and performs like my friends Biesemeyer. Does anyone know if T2 is just Delta’s generic Biesemeyer fence? The other reason I’m asking is I bought the Wixey digital fence readout and it installed with the Biesemeyer hardware and instructions.

Tom

#4 posted 02-29-2008 11:26 PM

Tom, I think the T2 fence is Delta’s knockoff of the Beisemeyer fence as you mentioned, I’ve never really heard a bad thing about the T2. It should be a great fence for you, especially compared to what you had on your older saw.

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#5 posted 02-29-2008 11:42 PM

It’s my understanding that the T2 is just another Delta option. They also have the Unifence and they own
Beisemeyer. The T2 it just a scaled down Bessy.

A few members here are putting the T2 on their craftsman saws.

#6 posted 03-01-2008 12:26 AM

Thanks Gary… I’m really pleased with the fence, and now with the Wixey digital fence display added to it, it is just over the top accurate with no deflection.

#7 posted 03-01-2008 12:32 AM

Great review.

View marcb's profile

marcb

#8 posted 05-07-2008 08:32 AM

T2 is a great fence. I put one on my Rockwell Contractors saw and never looked back. Considering the price jump from T2 to Bessy I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about them.

View marcb's profile

marcb

#9 posted 05-08-2008 02:31 AM

Ignore this

#10 posted 01-28-2009 04:56 PM

Lastnight I was in Menards and noticed that they had this saw with the T2 fence on sale for $530. I think that is one heck of a buy.

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

#11 posted 01-28-2009 05:40 PM

They make good stuff no doubt about that however, I am having great difficulty contacting delta in the UK I have even trien contacting them in the usa for parts but when I can’t give them a zip number they lock me out can any6one fine delta UK for me I’m stuck ?Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

#12 posted 01-28-2009 06:29 PM

Alistar, I called Delta customer support for you, and they couldn’t give me an answer. http://www.dewaltservicenet.com is their parts website, but I only see listings for the USA and Canada.

#13 posted 01-28-2009 09:52 PM

Update:

About one and a half years since I purchased this saw and everything is great! Even though I check it often for accuracy, it has never needed an adjustment for either the trunions or even the fence. I can’t believe how precise this thing is…
One observation of note: the electrical connector for the motor works itself loose on occasion. I’m sure it is due to movement of the motor for angle cuts. It does not happen very often and is no big deal. I guess I could tape the connectors together, but I just don’t like the idea of putting tape on the plug.

Accessories used with the saw:

Wixey digital fence guide
Freud thin kerf blades
Homemade phenolic zero clearance blade inserts
Incra 1000se Miter Gauge
Magswitch feather boards
link drivebelt
Homemade 18” right table extension
Homemade crosscut sled

#14 posted 01-28-2009 10:37 PM

Hmmmmm, I don’t see the Penn State Industries dust hood in that list.

#15 posted 01-29-2009 05:38 PM

Woodchuck, that’s because it comes with a dust catcher.