Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial

Review by Walt M. posted 04-24-2011 10:57 PM 2480 views 5 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial Beginner’s SketchUp Tutorial No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My first review, I’m not a typist so I going to make this brief. I have wanted to learn SketchUp for some time now.,I have followed many courses on Google and other web sites but this really got me going.
It’s from a wood worker that really knows this program.
It helps if you have multiple monitors but if not you can watch and pause or you can even download a mpg 4 to watch off
line.
It starts you off building a Bedroom Side table and teaches you very elementary steps to make tapered legs, aprons, sliders for the drawer, and the dovetailed drawer. He goes on to show you ways of making all pieces on lawyers and components which are a plus for creating scenes later in the processes.
Iv’e been doing this for a week or longer now and was so impressed by how much time he’s taken do this and especially for free that i really thought I should share. For any one that has struggled with this program that is really so powerful
I may even start a blog that helps with helpful tips that I have learned or others on LJ may put their input in.

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#1 posted 04-25-2011 12:03 AM

Walt, I have been through all the tutorials on this site. I believe it is the best online SketchUp tutorial for a woodworker. Well done and very clear.

Anyone wanting to learn SketchUp for woodworking should view them.

-- Bill - Mesquite, TX --- "Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge , timber framer and blacksmith instructor at Tillers International school

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

#2 posted 04-25-2011 12:48 AM

Thanks for posting this William.

Lee

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

#3 posted 04-25-2011 05:51 AM

Walt M. -

Thx a bunch for posting this!

I’m old school; I’ve been using CorelDraw for a lotta years to design stuff. I started with 3.0 and am now working with 15, ‘nuff said? I’ve been feeling the real lack of a good 3-D layout program for quite a while now and just didn’t want to invest in the time it would take to self-learn yet another drawing program. But this tutorial made it rather painless.

Kudos to Walt M. for bringing this tutorial to my attention.
Kudos to Joseph Zeh for such a fine tutorial.
Kudos to Google for such a fine piece of software.

Highly recommended!

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View Be Bliss's profile

Be Bliss

#4 posted 04-28-2011 08:51 AM

Thanks, as I am in the process of learning sketchup.

-- Be Bliss.

#5 posted 04-28-2011 02:32 PM

Finally got through the beginners part 7 on texturing, there are jpg.s of walnut, cherry and maple that you can download to make the models really life like.
One other download is a ruby script that he wrote himself to make layers invisible or all layers visible and also to create invisible layers for scenes that you can use for dimensions. It’s on one of the earlier parts.
One other thing is he right about following the rules for components and layers makes everything simple in the end.

View Pimzedd's profile

Pimzedd

#6 posted 04-29-2011 07:13 PM

Walt, his suggestion about components and layers is the best part of his tutorials. I never did that.

I found his site while trying to learn about ruby scripts. Still don’t understand them.

#7 posted 04-30-2011 08:22 PM

@ Bill, Your right I got where I could draw shapes pretty good but that was it.
I saw a video I think on Sketchucation a video about components that you could save to your PC for later models, ie moldings,styles of feet or anything you would place in multiple models. Saves a lot of time.

View LegendInMyOwnMind's profile

LegendInMyOwnMind

#8 posted 05-30-2011 05:37 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I only watched the first two parts and they were very good. There’s a learning curve there that comes along with any power[ful] tool.

I’d like to also suggest this site for dados.

-- Doug - When all you own is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.